Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoroughly disullusioned - BC (not for minors)

Thoroughly disullusioned - BC (not for minors)

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:06 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoroughly disullusioned - BC (not for minors)

Originally Posted by dingbat
If you are not aboriginal and you happen to be white and British, it is usually best to keep your mouth shut.
OK
LOL But the fact is its there land not ours
BTW explain to me how metis are 'aboriginal' and acadians arent????
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:06 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
So as first nations or aboriginal peoples they are the REAL Canadians???
Important point - ask 10 Aboriginal people their conceptions of nation, identity, governing, citizenship and ... well anything really and you'll probably get 10 different answers. 'They' are not the borg ( that's Canada Post ).
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:17 am
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all

OK
ARGGHHH!

I am 1/2 Metis (albeit in Oz) and I take great issue with anyone saying that Canada belongs to anyone! The fact is that both my white mother and Metis father have the right to call Canada home, so do you!

And as HWP said ask 10 Aboriginal people who's really First Nations and you will get 10 different answers!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:19 am

OK
Métis and Métis culture are of mainly Aboriginal and French origin.
Acadians and Acadian culture originate mainly just from France.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:20 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
Yes, an aboriginal person would travel on a Canadian passport. Some have the inherent right to a US passport too, but these days dual claimants are few and far between. Not all native bands are self governing. Only some can legitimately claim the self titled First Nation status too...but that is one seriously hot political potato

http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=3

Anyone planning on working in BC might want to aquaint themselves with aboriginal issues.
I don't think that you are correct that they (Indians born in Canada) have any inherent right to a US passport, since they aren't US citizens. The Jay Treaty gives them the right to reside and work in the US, but without citizenship.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:22 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

So as first nations or aboriginal peoples they are the REAL Canadians???
Yes, they are citizens of Canada. They consider themselves Canadians Plus. In other words, Canadians with additional rights.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:22 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hunterau
ARGGHHH!

I am 1/2 Metis (albeit in Oz) and I take great issue with anyone saying that Canada belongs to anyone! The fact is that both my white mother and Metis father have the right to call Canada home, so do you!

And as HWP said ask 10 Aboriginal people who's really First Nations and you will get 10 different answers!
Ok explain that one to me????
You are either metis or you aren't metis surely???

aboriginal does not equal first nation (as far as I know)

Anyway I'm still waiting to hear why metis are deemed aboriginal and acadians arent.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Acadians predate Metis in Canada though!!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:25 am
Banned

Important point - ask 10 Aboriginal people their conceptions of nation, identity, governing, citizenship and ... well anything really and you'll probably get 10 different answers. 'They' are not the borg ( that's Canada Post ).
Ask 10 cradle (white) canadians the same questions and you'll get the same results.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:26 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Hunterau
ARGGHHH!

WTF?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:27 am
mañana is my busiest day

Exactly.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Yes, they are citizens of Canada. They consider themselves Canadians Plus. In other words, Canadians with additional rights.
Technically yes, Aboriginal people are citizens of Canada but there is no they when referring to how various people define themselves. It's pointless to contain a group of people into nice, neat categories.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:30 am
mañana is my busiest day

Acadians predate Metis in Canada though!!
Acadians were on the King of England's shit list.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Acadians were on the King of England's shit list.
Pardon? What are you trying to say?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:32 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

OK
OK..potted history 101:

Metis were the product of unions between native women and European men. The native women were already here as it were and the children tended to stay here while the men left, as the kids would not have been accepted in Britain or France. These kids fitted into neither native or white culture and as a result a distinct settlement of ostracised 'half-breeds" (not my choice of words before anyone says anything) began to evolve. Some men came back, but they would have generally been the object of ridicule with a native wife in tow.

http://www.metisnation.ca/who/index.html explains why the Metis are considered aboriginal better than I can!

At the risk of annoying anyone with Acadian heritage...Acadians were direct imports from France.... i.e. no connection to the existing natives who populated what we know as Canada at the time the first europeans turned up. The Brits got pissed off at them after the Treaty of Utrecht (when Britain got Nova Scotia given to them by the French) because the Acadians refused to swear allegiance to the Monarch. These were French people from France who hated the British at the best of times. Britain then booted them out in numbers from Acadia (Nova Scotia). Many moved to Louisiana....became know as Cajun for no reason other than deep Southern accents could not enunciate A cadian. There is no evidence of high numbers of native/Acadian children being born - many French/native and Scottish/native and British/native with some Russian/native children...but these people identified as anything but Acadian and so the distinction was carved.

I need a social life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.