Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Old Mar 16th 2017, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Wella1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Nova Scotia / New Brunswick

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Yes. We all only have one life. You have to do what's right for both of you and go where your hearts tell you to go.
Enjoy the next chapter 😊

Thank you.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Wella1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howefamily
This makes my heart hurt for you. Have you taken a look at the Moving back to the UK forum? You will find lots of people feeling similar that will be supportive and helpful.
Hi Yes we have read info in that forum.
No need for your heart to hurt for us. But may I ask why you think this is a bad decision? what exactly keeps you here?
We still have a lot of living to do, we don't want to just "exist". This is a declining Province (if you look at the stats) and just wonder where it will be in 10/15/20 years time?
Old Mar 16th 2017, 4:58 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wella1
No need for your heart to hurt for us. But may I ask why you think this is a bad decision? what exactly keeps you here?
We still have a lot of living to do, we don't want to just "exist". This is a declining Province (if you look at the stats) and just wonder where it will be in 10/15/20 years time?
I think you miseunderstand me. My heart hurts for you as I would hate to not feel like I am living happily anywhere. I do not think this is a bad decision for you at all. I wouldnt be so presumptious to tell anyone that a decision is good or bad especially someone I dont know (apart from my kids of course )
You need to do whats best for you.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 5:00 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wella1
Sorry, to answer your question...in short, plenty keeps me here. We are happy, have good jobs, are settled, are enjoying a life far superior than what we had in the UK, with good friends.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
We live just outside Fredericton, if you have any questions more than happy to help and if you need Resume circulated to IT companies again I am more than happy to help.

David
David - Can I ask where you work?

Also next time in Fredericton fancy going for a pint?

I too can circulate resumes

B
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

charlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond repute

It is funny now seeing some of the posts about Nova Scotia and thinking "don't be saying that about my home!". We have been living here now for just over four years, time has flown by! We live in Hubbards, about 35 mins outside Halifax. While I can understand some of the comments about NS, largely rural (obvious) and the job market can be frustrating (if you are in IT though, you are a definite prized asset), but 90+% of our experience so far has been positive. The weather is just better than where I used to live, in Cornwall, the summers have been hot and we are always down the beach or exploring the Province. The winters haven't been that bad, you can always go out and skate or ski. Halifax is a great town, a lively music and pub scene, lots of sport going on and it is not too big. There is plenty of work in and around the city. We have a lovely house on an acre and it didn't cost much. Our village, Hubbards, has a great Saturday farmers market and there is always something going on. There are lots of things that annoy me, but there were lots of things that annoy me in the UK! Nova Scotia is a great place, with lots going for it. Don't expect to live out in the sticks and have a high paid job and a lively social life, but near Halifax there is a lot going on and a lot to be said for the place. Anyone thinking of moving to NS and want have any specific questions, PM me no worries.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I have family in small town Quebec. Some of the posters mentioned that the Maritimes have changed a lot in recent years - that is true.

Traditionally they have been seen as economically lagging the other provinces. I think part of that is, they are remote - St John's, Newfoundland, is almost as close to Dublin as it is to Toronto - and the lack of a major population base discouraged a lot of companies from prioritising it for their businesses. "Newfies" also are the brunt of Canadian humour. That remoteness I believe contributes to what some of the other posters have indicated is present, the social cohesion there and the resistance to change.

If you like nature and small towns - I think you will like the Maritimes, and on a decent income you can live very well there. The small towns there are still big enough to have all the conveniences. If you do need an urban environment, even occasionally, it won't be for you, because you won't be going to Montreal or Toronto all that often. To some extent, the Maritimes have become more popular for people exploring relocation, due to exploding property prices and cost-of-living in Toronto and Vancouver. If you want to get out of an expensive city, and want to be somewhat near the coast . . . with Vancouver ruled out, what's left? So people are giving places like Nova Scotia and New Brunswick a look, which they might not have done 15 years ago.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 3:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
If you like nature and small towns
I'm not especially fussed about nature - although I do enjoy seeing all the birds that visit our deck and the tree.
...on a decent income you can live very well there. The small towns there are still big enough to have all the conveniences.

Smaller but with the same amenities and in some cases better or different.
If you do need an urban environment, even occasionally, it won't be for you,
We do have urban environments. Unless you mean slums
because you won't be going to Montreal or Toronto all that often.
Well, that reference to "living very well" does mean you may well have more disposable income to dispose of by visiting them and thus having the best of both worlds.