Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Canada

Thinking of moving to Canada

Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

OllyS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Canada

Hey everyone.

Me and my girlfriend have recently been thinking about moving over to Canada. We initially would be heading over on a working holiday visa and trying out a couple places I.e Toronto and Vancouver. After we have jobs we would be looking at extending the work visa.
My question is we have a 1 year old dog who would be coming with us. Is it a nightmare trying to find somewhere to live that accepts small dogs (he’s a Boston terrier).
Also I work in Rope Access and mechanical fitting, my girlfriend has a degree in sport development and coaching, how easy is it to find work once over there? We have been looking at jobs so far but haven’t applied for any as we’re still weighing everything up.

any help or useful info would be great.

Thanks,
olly

Old Jan 16th 2019, 10:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Canada

I had no idea what a rope access job was. Looks like there are some postings for both BC & Ontario https://ca.indeed.com/Rope-Access-jobs

Small dogs are normally OK in apartments, all depends on the rules of the building. This should give you an idea on what to expect for rent in Vancouver. I hope you are sitting down when you click this link
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/d/a...ent/search/apa
Old Jan 16th 2019, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

BritBC is an unknown quantity at this point

Finding an apartment in Metro Vancouver that accepts dogs is very hard unfortunately. There is an over demand for units so landlords are usually quite fussy and won't accept pets. That being said its not impossible (my wife and I found a place in Surrey that would take us and our dog). Landlords will usually require an additional safety deposit for a dog (ours was 1/2 months rent) when you move in. We got ours back in full though when we moved out.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:46 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention, on the left hand side of that link I posted there is a 'dogs ok' box. Click that and then update.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 12:13 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I hope you are sitting down when you click this link
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/d/a...ent/search/apa
I’m glad I was prone on the sofa when I clicked it - ouch
Old Jan 20th 2019, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

I’m glad I was prone on the sofa when I clicked it - ouch
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...790591549.html

$6000/month in the summer for this one !!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2019, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to bear in mind, is that there is rabies in Canada - not much problem bringing your pet to Canada - much bigger problem bringing it back to the UK again......
Old Jan 29th 2019, 12:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
One thing to bear in mind, is that there is rabies in Canada - not much problem bringing your pet to Canada - much bigger problem bringing it back to the UK again......

As I understand it a pet passport is required if the OP intends to return to the UK with their dog. Not needed for transportation to Canada, but for the return - else the dog would go into quarantine in the UK. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
Old Jan 29th 2019, 1:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OllyS
Hey everyone.

Me and my girlfriend have recently been thinking about moving over to Canada. We initially would be heading over on a working holiday visa and trying out a couple places I.e Toronto and Vancouver. After we have jobs we would be looking at extending the work visa.
My question is we have a 1 year old dog who would be coming with us. Is it a nightmare trying to find somewhere to live that accepts small dogs (he’s a Boston terrier).
Also I work in Rope Access and mechanical fitting, my girlfriend has a degree in sport development and coaching, how easy is it to find work once over there? We have been looking at jobs so far but haven’t applied for any as we’re still weighing everything up.

any help or useful info would be great.

Thanks,
olly

Hello and welcome to BE!

Do be aware that IEC working holiday work permits are NOT extendable - you would have to either apply for Permanent Residency or find an employer willing to apply for an LMIA for you in order to continue working after the 2 years has ended.

Do check to see if your professions are regulated - if they are then you may need to obtain Provincial registration / certification before you can work in them... and each Province has it's own governing body so if you do need registration then you will have to decide which Province you wish to work in, unless you are prepared to do other kinds of work... so that would be the first step to take in deciding where you might want to live - and where there are jobs.

(Rope Access Technician is regulated in BC) https://www.cicic.ca/938/other_trade....canada?id=222
Old Jan 29th 2019, 9:47 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
Originally Posted by Siouxie
As I understand it a pet passport is required if the OP intends to return to the UK with their dog. Not needed for transportation to Canada, but for the return - else the dog would go into quarantine in the UK. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
Not at all. Our border collie came back to the UK with us last year and went through roughly the same procedure as the dogs we took to Canada from England - vet check prior to flight, de-wormer, rabies jab etc. None of our dogs have ever had pet passports.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by R I C H
Not at all. Our border collie came back to the UK with us last year and went through roughly the same procedure as the dogs we took to Canada from England - vet check prior to flight, de-wormer, rabies jab etc. None of our dogs have ever had pet passports.
I was going on the OFFICIAL line.. but that's good to hear... It may be different though if you brought your dog FROM the UK to Canada and are then Returning... according to this....
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport
Pet passport and other documents

You need a pet passport for your dog, cat or ferret if they’ll be travelling:

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 29th 2019 at 4:56 pm.