Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Importing two bikes into Canada.

Thinking of Importing two bikes into Canada.

Old May 9th 2022, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

WATERHOG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of Importing two bikes into Canada.

So I've read various forums and pages from Facebook. So if I understand correctly any vehicle can be imported that is older than 15 years of age. There are regional differences on what can be road registered. You will also need to provide proof of age. There is a declaration too to be made on the inventory

I'm just wondering what I've missed.

Ido have a few questions if I may?
I believe we will have a container for our families belongings as we will get full relocation. I want to bring both my KTMs with me in said container. I have a 2005 ktm 250 exc 4t and a 1999 380 2t. I imagine I'd need to crate them after removing fuel and disconecting the battery but what sort of crate needs to be used? Or can I just palletise the frame and engine to a crate and bring the rest lose? I have v5 with proof of age and ownership, if there is a tax I need to pay how is this factored? I assume Canada has a little book of bike values but I have not been able to source this to find out?
At what point do I need to present the bikes for scruitiny and who do I need to forward the docs too?
Initially don't plan to register the bikes for road use. But that may be an option in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to read this amd thanks for any advice you may give.
Old May 11th 2022, 1:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Importing two bikes into Canada.

Originally Posted by WATERHOG
So I've read various forums and pages from Facebook. So if I understand correctly any vehicle can be imported that is older than 15 years of age. There are regional differences on what can be road registered. You will also need to provide proof of age. There is a declaration too to be made on the inventory

I'm just wondering what I've missed.

Ido have a few questions if I may?
I believe we will have a container for our families belongings as we will get full relocation. I want to bring both my KTMs with me in said container. I have a 2005 ktm 250 exc 4t and a 1999 380 2t. I imagine I'd need to crate them after removing fuel and disconecting the battery but what sort of crate needs to be used? Or can I just palletise the frame and engine to a crate and bring the rest lose? I have v5 with proof of age and ownership, if there is a tax I need to pay how is this factored? I assume Canada has a little book of bike values but I have not been able to source this to find out?
At what point do I need to present the bikes for scruitiny and who do I need to forward the docs too?
Initially don't plan to register the bikes for road use. But that may be an option in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to read this amd thanks for any advice you may give.
Try Kelly Blue Book https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/ for used values. Can't help on the detail but I believe you also have to ensure that whatever vehicle your bring in is *very* clean i.e. no soil/mud anywhere, otherwise you may have to pay for the container to be sanitised or potentially even might have clearance rejected. Canada is very hot on phytosanitary measures.
Old May 11th 2022, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well rather than relying on Facebook or my mate told me I find it easier to consult the official websites

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-12-1-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-1-11-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-7-4-eng.html

Goods Contaminated with Soil

51. Canada has a "no tolerance"policy for foreign soil, and therefore anything more than a fine film of dust left by dirty wash water or accumulated during transport is considered to be contamination with soil. Any visible film, patch or clump of mud, dirt or organic matter (e.g., manure or blood) on or in the goods or conveyance beyond a fine film of dust constitutes the presence of soil and renders the goods/conveyance non-compliant.

52. Any goods found to be contaminated with soil are inadmissible and will be ordered removed from Canada. This includes non-FPA products such as used vehicles, farm equipment, conveyances, and personal effects such as hiking boots, gardening tools and bicycles.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...9-1-1-eng.html

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...-states-mexico
Old May 18th 2022, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
51. Canada has a "no tolerance"policy for foreign soil, and therefore anything more than a fine film of dust left by dirty wash water or accumulated during transport is considered to be contamination with soil. Any visible film, patch or clump of mud, dirt or organic matter (e.g., manure or blood) on or in the goods or conveyance beyond a fine film of dust constitutes the presence of soil and renders the goods/conveyance non-compliant.

52. Any goods found to be contaminated with soil are inadmissible and will be ordered removed from Canada.
I am wondering if this no tolerance policy is also applied for countries like the US? It's entirely possible that Canada would still distinguish between US and other countries, like he UK in this particular matter.
Old May 18th 2022, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I am wondering if this no tolerance policy is also applied for countries like the US? It's entirely possible that Canada would still distinguish between US and other countries, like he UK in this particular matter.
Dependent on staffing and paperwork provided vehicle examinations are conducted by both CFIA and CBSA officers. The CFIA officer has the final say on what gets in and what doesn't. Certain countries are more high risk than others. The CFIA AIRS system gives us guidance on vehicles imported from all countries.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dependent on staffing and paperwork provided vehicle examinations are conducted by both CFIA and CBSA officers. The CFIA officer has the final say on what gets in and what doesn't. Certain countries are more high risk than others. The CFIA AIRS system gives us guidance on vehicles imported from all countries.
This seems like a relatively easy issue to get around though, no? Just have the vehicles thoroughly detailed by a reputable detailer before shipping.
Old Jun 10th 2022, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dependent where the bikes are coming from and I can only assume the UK as OP doesn't mention where they are then certain conditions have to be met how they are cleaned and which paperwork needs to be shown on import and reputable detailers authorized to carry out such cleaning don't always provide such paperwork. It is up to the importer to do their due diligence in arranging cleaning and we CBSA just provide the information as clearly outlined in my links.