Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking about Making the Move

Thinking about Making the Move

Old Jun 20th 2018, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

McShanus13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Thinking about Making the Move

My husband and I are starting to research making to move to Canada. We are at the costing stage to see if we can afford it and looking for best areas for information and research.
We want to move in or around Toronto area. What areas are best/affordable/crime rates/job opportunities - where best can we research this.
I am an HR Professional and my husband is in Finance/Payroll - are there any network group we can join for career networking.
Houses - what are the best sites for house buying - I can google this (and have) but want to know the best/most popular/up to date to look.

There is a vast amount of information on google (too much at times) we are looking for advice on the best places to start so we can make the best decision for us.

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2018, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Making the Move

Originally Posted by McShanus13
My husband and I are starting to research making to move to Canada. We are at the costing stage to see if we can afford it and looking for best areas for information and research.
We want to move in or around Toronto area. What areas are best/affordable/crime rates/job opportunities - where best can we research this.
I am an HR Professional and my husband is in Finance/Payroll - are there any network group we can join for career networking.
Houses - what are the best sites for house buying - I can google this (and have) but want to know the best/most popular/up to date to look.

There is a vast amount of information on google (too much at times) we are looking for advice on the best places to start so we can make the best decision for us.

Thanks
First and most important is what visa route for permanent residence are you planning to take - or have you got all that sorted?

What are your nationalities (in particular are either of you Canadian)?

How old is each of you and is either of you by any chance Irish (as in Eire)?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

As Hurlabrick has already said, the tricky bit these days is obtaining the necessary status that will allow you to come to Canada in the first place. Have you looked at your eligibility already? That's the first thing to do.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring plenty of money.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Take the tests here and then come back with the results.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool-immigration-express-entry.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Unless one of you is Canadian, there is literally no point in anyone offering you further advice before confirming your actually legally eligible.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

As the others have said, visa needs to come first, a lot of people need a job offer to get a visa, so if that is the case for you, you may find there's no point in researching Toronto, in case the only place you can find a sponsoring employer is in another province altogether!

But cost wise, this thread has some useful figures in. It's quite old now, so bump them up a bit to allow for price increases, but it gives you an idea at least. cost of moving to canada

There are also lots of Wiki articles that would be useful reading, including those with recommended job websites, and housing websites.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we have had to pay, If you want an idea of costs in the first year.
1. Two adults return tickets from London to Toronto $1800
2. Transport 3 dogs on flight $900.
3. Rent Airbnb three bedroom house for 2 months in East York $8400
4. Rent 3 bedroom house on 1 year lease with all utilities included $3150 per month
5. Change car licence $90
6. Private health insurance for 2 people. $180 per month for first 3 months while waiting for OHIP.
7. Transportation of 9.7 cubic meters of personal possessions $4000.
8. Insurance of goods shipped $315
9. Purchase sofa $1000 and queen bed from IKEA $800
10. Licence 3 dogs $75.
11. Sim only unlimited calls, text and 4GB data, $55 + 13% tax
12. Monthly transit card $146
Old Jun 21st 2018, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McShanus13

Thanks
Nearly all houses for sale are listed on www.realtor.ca But, as others have mentioned, I wouldn't spend too much time looking if you don't qualify for a visa.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Toronto is obviously very expensive housing wise. We live in Durham, just east of Toronto and it's pretty decent area for the most part with good rail links to downtown Toronto. The further east you go the more house you get for your money. Whitby or Clarington would be my first choices.

We used this website when we were looking for houses:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Index.aspx

It's a while back since we moved here so I forget exactly where we started but I'm pretty sure it was making sure we had enough points to get a permanent resident card.

I think this is still an expensive country to live in, I often wonder how my kids are going to ever be able to afford the own house eventually, they are still young. I do not regret the move though, we definitely have a better life here.

We are actually going back to the UK for a couple of weeks this summer, not been back for maybe 8 years, all thinks considered id rather be spending the money going to the Caribbean but have to go an visit family.

Good luck with the process, it can be a long one!!

Mark
Old Jun 21st 2018, 4:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

The process itself is much shorter these days but that's if you actually qualify to apply in the first place.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 2:47 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
As Hurlabrick has already said, the tricky bit these days is obtaining the necessary status that will allow you to come to Canada in the first place. Have you looked at your eligibility already? That's the first thing to do.
Fly to the states walk across the border and claim asylum...job done
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
This is what we have had to pay, If you want an idea of costs in the first year.
1. Two adults return tickets from London to Toronto $1800
2. Transport 3 dogs on flight $900.
3. Rent Airbnb three bedroom house for 2 months in East York $8400
4. Rent 3 bedroom house on 1 year lease with all utilities included $3150 per month
5. Change car licence $90
6. Private health insurance for 2 people. $180 per month for first 3 months while waiting for OHIP.
7. Transportation of 9.7 cubic meters of personal possessions $4000.
8. Insurance of goods shipped $315
9. Purchase sofa $1000 and queen bed from IKEA $800
10. Licence 3 dogs $75.
11. Sim only unlimited calls, text and 4GB data, $55 + 13% tax
12. Monthly transit card $146
Wow..glad I'm not in Toronto. Is #4 the standard going rate for a rental of a house. Is it one of those standard East York type houses such as this. https://goo.gl/maps/LrBtg2T18VN2 or something more elaborate.

Items 3 and 10 don't apply to everyone. I see you haven't bought a car yet so that plus insurance still awaits some.