British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Thinking about Canada again...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/thinking-about-canada-again-788872/)

Howefamily Mar 1st 2013 4:29 pm

Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by scootb (Post 10577412)
My dad regrets not going to Oz back in the mid-late 70's,and NZ back in 98,both times he had work,contacts lined up.
When I mentioned Canada he told me to go for it,no hesitation,no sadness,just the tale of Oz,and NZ,followed by the quote above!

And when I told him I got a job lined up on a 2year contract over there he was over the moon,he retires in April,and is more than happy to come visit his Granddaughters in Canada.

Thats a tremendous outcome for you. My FIL is visiting in May, Soooo looking forward to it

Theoldfields Mar 2nd 2013 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10575171)
This is a tough decision that we also faced.
We are LOVING it here. We are settled now but it hasnt all been a bed of roses at all. There have been all the ups and downs of settling into a different country and the networking is pretty crucial here in NS to getting a job. Having said that, that didnt really apply to me so much (as an Accountant I got my second job through an agency, as I would have done in the UK) but it certainly does for many jobs.

To answer your question - we are most definately here to stay, you would have to remove me forcibly and drag me back to the UK to get me to move back there.

We're moving over in three months and I will be looking for work as an Accountant. Any tips on how to go about finding that first role over there would be gratefully received! I've worked for so long in the same area that networking hasn't been required.

Howefamily Mar 2nd 2013 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Theoldfields (Post 10578651)
We're moving over in three months and I will be looking for work as an Accountant. Any tips on how to go about finding that first role over there would be gratefully received! I've worked for so long in the same area that networking hasn't been required.

hi, where are you moving to?
Are you on linked in?
Do you have a designation (professional qualification) as this REALLY helps
If you are coming to NS then can I suggest that you get in touch with Troy Yeo at Accountant Staffing in Halifax and also speak to Meridia Recruitment in Halifax. These two are pretty good, thats the start of your network then.

Theoldfields Mar 2nd 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10578800)
hi, where are you moving to?
Are you on linked in?
Do you have a designation (professional qualification) as this REALLY helps
If you are coming to NS then can I suggest that you get in touch with Troy Yeo at Accountant Staffing in Halifax and also speak to Meridia Recruitment in Halifax. These two are pretty good, thats the start of your network then.

Hi, we're heading to Kelowna at first but expect to end up in Vancouver or Calgary. I have been a member of CIMA for 20+ years and am planning to convert to CMA. It looks fairly straight forward on their website apart from finding two current members to sponsor the application ( there aren't many in Lincolnshire! )

I joined Linked in but don't use it properly. I was planning on creating the full profile, skills set etc but haven't done so yet.

Do you find Linked in useful in Canada?

Howefamily Mar 2nd 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Theoldfields (Post 10578838)
Hi, we're heading to Kelowna at first but expect to end up in Vancouver or Calgary. I have been a member of CIMA for 20+ years and am planning to convert to CMA. It looks fairly straight forward on their website apart from finding two current members to sponsor the application ( there aren't many in Lincolnshire! )

I joined Linked in but don't use it properly. I was planning on creating the full profile, skills set etc but haven't done so yet.

Do you find Linked in useful in Canada?

Hi, I transferred to CMA in NS and didnt need any current members to sponsor me. Give them a call to see whats needed, you should find it easy.
I havent found linkedin useful from the perspective of finding a job but many appear to be on it, so I wanted to be on the same page so to speak. Its been useful to keep in touch with professional contacts too

TheThornes Mar 2nd 2013 2:48 pm

For us the opportunity to move to Canada arose because of my husband's job and we were very much of the opinion that we should go for it or we'd always be thinking what if and would later regret not giving it a go. We were lucky in that my husband had a job lined up before we came. I think those who give up their jobs in the UK, make the move only to then have to find a job are very brave and, in all honesty, not sure I would have had the guts for that.

We've been here over four years now and have no intention of moving back to the UK; we love it here!

Its true that its easy to get caught up in the romantic notion of Canada before you move and I think all us that have made the move are guilty of that to some extent. Yes, you've got to work, do the grocery shopping and all the other mundane things that are part of our everyday lives but life is what you make it and getting a good balance and making the most of what's on offer around you is what makes it.

I think we've managed to achieve a good balance in the time that we've lived here. Yes, the first year or so can be a little tough financially. There's lots of things to pay out for when you first arrive, not always made easy by the fact that you have no Canadian credit to begin with but, for most, it gradually gets easier.

We've been lucky in that my husband has had a secure job from the onset. I work part-time, partly to provide the family with a bit of extra spending money and partly for my sanity. We have a nice house, nice vehicles, a view of the mountains, good social network, happy well balanced kids etc; life is good for us.

We're not off skiing every weekend although I know plenty that do. I personally don't ski although my husband and eldest child do and they go off perhaps a handful of times over the winter. As a family, summer time is when we tend to venture out more with camping and hiking and lazy days out with picnics etc.

Yes, we'll always miss certain aspects of the UK; mostly friends and family, but that's to be expected. We too had the dilemma of taking the kids away from their grandparents but you have to live your lives for you and not for others. We were lucky that our parents were all pretty supportive; one was a little negative before we moved but now thinks its wonderful and comes to visit every year for a few weeks!

I think you're wise to be considering a recce trip next year but Canada is a big place with each area being very different from the next. I guess, ultimately, where you may eventually end up will be dependent on job prospects and you may need to narrow this down before deciding on which part or parts to check out on a recce.

I wish all the best.

Theoldfields Mar 2nd 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10579092)
Hi, I transferred to CMA in NS and didnt need any current members to sponsor me. Give them a call to see whats needed, you should find it easy.
I havent found linkedin useful from the perspective of finding a job but many appear to be on it, so I wanted to be on the same page so to speak. Its been useful to keep in touch with professional contacts too

Thanks. Appreciate the advice.

Keelif Mar 5th 2013 7:25 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write your post, and experience of moving over. Its good to know were not the only ones to struggle with the whole taking the kids away from grandparents thing. I guess ultimately it will be down to work and if/where my husband can find a job. Ahhh it is frustrating this whole wanting to move abroad thing.....