Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking about Canada again......

Thinking about Canada again......

Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:40 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Thinking about Canada again......

Hey everyone!

Its been a while since my last post, although I must admit I have been somewhat of a lurker, and have still been reading posts.

We are finally planning our recce for next year! It seems I just can't get the idea of Canada out of my head, so definitely need to see it in person rather than just looking at it on Google.

My husband has now started a new career as a restaurant manager (which is completely different from what he had originally intended to do).

Does anyone have any info on job prospects for this role? I was pretty much set on our recce being to Nova Scotia, but the husband has decided he wants to go to Victoria. So, any info on the likelihood of a job in these areas (or others) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Keelif is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:11 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 404
YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Just out of curiosity, but what put the idea of Canada in your head, in the first place?
YoshiPal2010 is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:36 pm
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by Keelif View Post
Hey everyone!

Its been a while since my last post, although I must admit I have been somewhat of a lurker, and have still been reading posts.

We are finally planning our recce for next year! It seems I just can't get the idea of Canada out of my head, so definitely need to see it in person rather than just looking at it on Google.

My husband has now started a new career as a restaurant manager (which is completely different from what he had originally intended to do).

Does anyone have any info on job prospects for this role? I was pretty much set on our recce being to Nova Scotia, but the husband has decided he wants to go to Victoria. So, any info on the likelihood of a job in these areas (or others) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...rce=3#job_opps

Click on the Canada column for jobs in other Provinces.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:23 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010 View Post
Just out of curiosity, but what put the idea of Canada in your head, in the first place?
I'm not completely sure to be honest. When I was younger I decided I'd love to try living abroad, Canada looked beautiful to me, and I guess its just stuck with mem. To be honest that is why we are finally doing the recce next year, so we can either decide yep its for us, or put it to bed completely.

What made you make the move? Has it turned out well for you?
Keelif is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:24 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by siouxie View Post
http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...rce=3#job_opps

Click on the Canada column for jobs in other Provinces.

Thanks!
Keelif is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:26 am
  #6  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

I say go for it, if you can. Better to regret what you do than regret what you dont do
Howefamily is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:41 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
I say go for it, if you can. Better to regret what you do than regret what you dont do
I know that's what I think too. It's just such a daunting prospect, and I feel guilty about the possibility of taking the kids away from grandparents, but I guess we cant live our life just to make everyone else happy.

How are you finding it there now? Are you there to stay?
Keelif is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:59 am
  #8  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by Keelif View Post
I know that's what I think too. It's just such a daunting prospect, and I feel guilty about the possibility of taking the kids away from grandparents, but I guess we cant live our life just to make everyone else happy.

How are you finding it there now? Are you there to stay?
This is a tough decision that we also faced.
We are LOVING it here. We are settled now but it hasnt all been a bed of roses at all. There have been all the ups and downs of settling into a different country and the networking is pretty crucial here in NS to getting a job. Having said that, that didnt really apply to me so much (as an Accountant I got my second job through an agency, as I would have done in the UK) but it certainly does for many jobs.

To answer your question - we are most definately here to stay, you would have to remove me forcibly and drag me back to the UK to get me to move back there.
Howefamily is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:25 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Ahhhh it is such a hard decision. Our lives aren't bad here, yes we've had some bad experiences, but all in all its actually pretty good. When I first decided to seriously look into Canada I just saw all the negatives about the UK (I guess to try and justify the move), but now I'm trying for a more rounded perspective. Its not that I don't necessarily like our life here, but I just cant get that niggle of living elsewhere out of my skin.

It would be sooo much easier if where we lived was a godforsaken hell-hole, but it's not (although, I would probably say differently sometimes )

Have your children adjusted o.k. out there? Is it hard being away from the grandparents? Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!
Keelif is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:20 pm
  #10  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

we lived in a nice enough place too so it wasnt like we were running away from a horrible life.
For me it was more of a pull, I NEEDED to live here. I wanted to be here. I didnt feel right living in England.

My children have adjusted well, they sound so Canadian its almost as if we picked up from the airport.
Howefamily is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:18 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 1,353
Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by Keelif View Post
I'm not completely sure to be honest. When I was younger I decided I'd love to try living abroad, Canada looked beautiful to me, and I guess its just stuck with me.
I know this was your younger self's reason for selecting Canada, but I've observed that many Expats have this romantic notion of a stereotypical Canada - a land of beauty, wilderness, and whatnot - when they first dream of Canada. Of course, Canada has beautiful parts, but it also has vast, expanses of underwhelming, ugly, industrialized land as well. The reality is that the most inhabited/developed parts of Canada fall into the latter territory. If moving to Canada for the beauty is a catalyst for this move, consider very carefully where you'll end up. It is not like the UK where you can travel 1-2 hours and be somewhere different. In Canada, you often have to travel 12 hours to be somewhere different, and it isn't until you arrive that you realize the reality of Canada vs. that original romantic ideal.

This is not to scare you, but to set expectations accordingly.
Lychee is offline  
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:26 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
I know this was your younger self's reason for selecting Canada, but I've observed that many Expats have this romantic notion of a stereotypical Canada - a land of beauty, wilderness, and whatnot - when they first dream of Canada. Of course, Canada has beautiful parts, but it also has vast, expanses of underwhelming, ugly, industrialized land as well. The reality is that the most inhabited/developed parts of Canada fall into the latter territory. If moving to Canada for the beauty is a catalyst for this move, consider very carefully where you'll end up. It is not like the UK where you can travel 1-2 hours and be somewhere different. In Canada, you often have to travel 12 hours to be somewhere different, and it isn't until you arrive that you realize the reality of Canada vs. that original romantic ideal.

This is not to scare you, but to set expectations accordingly.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me, its always good to hear different sides to things. I think that is why I definitely need to visit first before fully deciding on anything, as like you've said, I have only seen the best bits on google. I think that unless I visit to decide either way, it will always be niggling at me. To be honest in some ways I hope I don't like it as much as I think I will, be a lot cheaper that way
Keelif is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:20 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 404
YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by Keelif View Post
I'm not completely sure to be honest. When I was younger I decided I'd love to try living abroad, Canada looked beautiful to me, and I guess its just stuck with mem. To be honest that is why we are finally doing the recce next year, so we can either decide yep its for us, or put it to bed completely.

What made you make the move? Has it turned out well for you?
Yes, not bad, actually! However, like here is much the same as in the UK; you go to work, you shop for groceries, etc. I know there are people on this site, who seem to be living the life of Riley -- skiiing every weekend, two SUVs, trips to Disneyland -- but you have got to wonder how much of it is pure BS! If you are willing to try any job -- don't sit around waiting for the ideal job in "your field", while spending your seed-money on ski- passes -- then you will probably fine. Networking may be all very well, but nothing beats getting some work history in Canada.
YoshiPal2010 is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:43 am
  #14  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010 View Post
Yes, not bad, actually! However, like here is much the same as in the UK; you go to work, you shop for groceries, etc. I know there are people on this site, who seem to be living the life of Riley -- skiiing every weekend, two SUVs, trips to Disneyland -- but you have got to wonder how much of it is pure BS! If you are willing to try any job -- don't sit around waiting for the ideal job in "your field", while spending your seed-money on ski- passes -- then you will probably fine. Networking may be all very well, but nothing beats getting some work history in Canada.
I dont think its pure BS at all. Like living anywhere, money is key. If you have it you can ski, take trips and live the life of riley! For many the first year or two of getting established are the hardest, which I think should be expected - you have moved countries, unless of course you have a comfortable financial cushion or work in a field where you can land a plum job very quickly at a very decent salary.
Many other factors come into play here too, like your own personal financial oligations - size of mortgage, car payments etc etc

Networking may well be what gets you your first job, and therefore your Canadian experience. Thats exactly the case in our situation and its been onwards and upwards from thereon. Faster for me than hubby, but that was the case nonetheless
Howefamily is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:34 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
scootb's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 482
scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about Canada again......

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
I say go for it, if you can. Better to regret what you do than regret what you dont do
My dad regrets not going to Oz back in the mid-late 70's,and NZ back in 98,both times he had work,contacts lined up.
When I mentioned Canada he told me to go for it,no hesitation,no sadness,just the tale of Oz,and NZ,followed by the quote above!

And when I told him I got a job lined up on a 2year contract over there he was over the moon,he retires in April,and is more than happy to come visit his Granddaughters in Canada.
scootb is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.