Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things you would have brought to Canada if you could do over!

Things you would have brought to Canada if you could do over!

Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

CanuckColleen1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things you would have brought to Canada if you could do over!

Thanks everyone - we are in a bit of a different situation as we are an army family and have been living with some truly awful army furniture for 8 years and the rest of it is just trashed, so we've been looking forward to moving and buying all new! So... we are definitely not the book a container type of people, as we just don't have the stuff to go over! We were planning on bringing our bed frame and getting a new mattress, but that sounds like it won't work either size wise!

I have now re-thought some of it and will be buying/bringing as much of the kitchen/household goods as I think we can put to use!

Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Nicki1209 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would stock up on clothes and if you have children......... this might sound silly but.......... id go to Primark and buy as many sets of knickers/underpants, vests and warm winter socks as you can!!

I find them very expensive here. I had my dad send over 20 pairs of knickers from primark for my daughter which cost 3 pounds per 10. That would be so much more here.

One lady mentioned squash/cordial........... yes they dont do this here.

Id bring Branston pickle and as much Bisto gravy you could ever bring you with!!! The gravy here is terrible. I also get dumpling mix sent over... and of course.... English chocolate.

But seriously, this gravy and things arent going to last you too long. Id definately say bedding and cushions , like decorative ones from next for instance......... they are a small fortune here. Stock up, and bring me some, lol.

Hope this helps
xx
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicki1209
One lady mentioned squash/cordial........... yes they dont do this here.
Orange and lemon squash is available. Search for your nearest outlet.

http://www.nationalimporters.com/Ite...temNbr=2136091
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

BCtoAB is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest you bring everything you can. Remember that if you are a long way from a big city choices are severely limited and prices high. We are 7 hours drive from Ikea. Also, I wish I had sorted out the kids toys better, bought way too many of those with us.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Spotted this a few weeks back in Loblaws.

At that price I can live without it. I can (just about) get a bottle of wine cheaper in Ontario.

With regards to Branston Pickle, spotted a large jar of that for a reasonable $6 at Price Chopper in the USA.
Attached Thumbnails Things you would have brought to Canada if you could do over!-img136.jpg  

Last edited by wolstie; Feb 8th 2012 at 8:30 pm. Reason: Branston Pickle
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
Spotted this a few weeks back in Loblaws.

At that price I can live without it. I can (just about) get a bottle of wine cheaper in Ontario.

With regards to Branston Pickle, spotted a large jar of that for a reasonable $6 at Price Chopper in the USA.
Sometimes Food Basic sells Ribena cheaper.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Cider, cider, cider, and more cider!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:21 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
You can buy cider here...................
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:41 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BCtoAB
We are 7 hours drive from Ikea.
How on earth is Vernon 7 hours drive from Ikea in Coquitlam?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
How on earth is Vernon 7 hours drive from Ikea in Coquitlam?
Not sure if you mean it's too long or too short. But maybe it's something to do with IKEA's route for exiting the store - 2 minutes if you know the way, 20 minutes if you follow the official directions.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:52 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not sure if you mean it's too long or too short. But maybe it's something to do with IKEA's route for exiting the store - 2 minutes if you know the way, 20 minutes if you follow the official directions.
Yeah, NEVER follow the floor arrows.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:54 am
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not sure if you mean it's too long or too short.
It's easily twice as long as the drive should take.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ive often wondered if ex pats from other countries whine as much as the Brits do on matters such as these
People open up small stores or import such missed goods they miss from home and when available they whine about the prices they have to pay for those goods
Sure Ive not had a Hollands steak pudding or a decent meat and potatoe pie
etc etc but I dont come on here and complain about it.
Things are different over here get used to it or pay the prices being asked or get a relative to send you red cross package containing said goods to tide you over until your next craving

Reminds me of the 70s when all the Brits used to pack a suitcase full of food when going on holiday to Majorca or Tenerife as they didnt want to eat the foreign food

Thank God we seem to have progressed since then well some of us have.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
Originally Posted by dollface
You can buy cider here...................
We bought some strongbow whilst we were over there and whilst it was in a strongbow can it tasted completely different to the stuff over here. Not as dry and a bit metallic!

What are the good ciders out there? I like Thatchers, strongbow, bulmers etc. Looking forward to trying a load out there!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
We bought some strongbow whilst we were over there and whilst it was in a strongbow can it tasted completely different to the stuff over here. Not as dry and a bit metallic!

What are the good ciders out there? I like Thatchers, strongbow, bulmers etc. Looking forward to trying a load out there!
I fetch cider often, my understanding is that Stowford's is the best of the widely available imports, Waupoo's the best easily available domestic. Redorderlig is acceptable while Sir Perry is not only undrinkable but, if used in place of a beer can for cooking, taints the chicken.

Different ciders are available on draft. C'est What? in Toronto has a good selection though, of course, one needs a beret and vestigal facial hair in order to drink, or rather waft and blab about, beverages there.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 9th 2012 at 1:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.