Reload this Page >

Things you wish you could’ve done differently

Things you wish you could’ve done differently

Old Jan 15th 2019, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Scotcad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things you wish you could’ve done differently

Evening all,

As a 24 year old on track to move to Canada with my partner to Windsor, ON in July, I’m starting to put a lot more time researching my move. Fortunately my partner is Canadian (we met whilst she was studying in the uk) so I have a safety net of her family who I’ve met several times before and a home for the first year or two.

For those who have made the move from The U.K. to Canada, is there anything you wish you could’ve done differently? Or anything you wish you’d have known before you came to tell your younger self?

Very interested to hear your thoughts.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you wish you could’ve done differently

Originally Posted by Scotcad
Evening all,

As a 24 year old on track to move to Canada with my partner to Windsor, ON in July, I’m starting to put a lot more time researching my move. Fortunately my partner is Canadian (we met whilst she was studying in the uk) so I have a safety net of her family who I’ve met several times before and a home for the first year or two.

For those who have made the move from The U.K. to Canada, is there anything you wish you could’ve done differently? Or anything you wish you’d have known before you came to tell your younger self?

I would tell my younger 2004 self not to come to Canada.

Nothing wrong with Canada though, it works for many.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 8:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have brought a coat.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 8:31 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I would have sold the entire contents of my UK house (excluding some clothes and sentimental items) and bought new when I landed in Canada. The price of shipping all my dodgy furniture and old beds was about equal to buying new.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 9:10 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I would have done more research into the area of the country I would want to live.

If I had my time again, I would have moved nearer to the East Coast and not bother with Vancouver.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 9:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I wish I would have sold the entire contents of my UK house (excluding some clothes and sentimental items) and bought new when I landed in Canada. The price of shipping all my dodgy furniture and old beds was about equal to buying new.
Now that's interesting. It seems to me that overwhelmingly people thought shipping was cheaper. I was a rare soul to believe stuff was cheaper over here.

I put the difference in opinion down to people having higher end furniture than me and maybe higher end in Canada was more costly..

In the UK I typically bought from DFS, IKEA, currys/comet and here Leons/Brick/Best Buy/Canadian Tire.
Quick comparisons - £649 ($1107) from Currys/PC World for a laptop that is $920 including 15% tax from Best Buy. (no offers, normal pricing)
Poang chair IKEA UK £95 ($162), same chair IKEA Canada $102 including 15% tax.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 10:22 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I would have done more research into the area of the country I would want to live.

If I had my time again, I would have moved nearer to the East Coast and not bother with Vancouver.

I wish I had moved ‘much’ further from the East Coast and somewhat nearer to Vancouver....
Old Jan 15th 2019, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would have brought a coat.
They don't sell them here?
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:18 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We wish we had moved elsewhere in the UK, now we don't belong here or there
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
They don't sell them here?
We didn't have any money. We truly arrived in the clothes in which we stood with the hand baggage; a snooker cue and a pair of skis (the lost checked bags turned up after a fortnight but contained no coats). I didn't buy a coat until after the next winter. For two years or more we had to drink domestic beer.

Also, if I were doing it again and I knew then what I know now I would have gone to the US instead.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We wish we had moved elsewhere in the UK, now we don't belong here or there
I feel the same way. I don't feel I belong in Canada, but I have been away from the US for most of the last 14 years so don't really belong there either.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
For two years or more we had to drink domestic beer.

Also, if I were doing it again and I knew then what I know now I would have gone to the US instead.
Oh, the humanity..domestic beer. . I arrived in September 1981 as a 17 year old and recall OV, Molson Golden, Stock Ale, Cinquante, "X", Blue, Canadian etc as mainstays of the domestic market. Charrington's Toby and Guinness were quite exotic but available at Toby's Good Eats.

Where in the US would you have gone?. To me, only the Subaru states are of interest. Maine, VT, NH, Oregon, Washington, Colorado. Small town southern US or ex-urbia America holds no interest.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, the humanity..domestic beer. . I arrived in September 1981 as a 17 year old and recall OV, Molson Golden, Stock Ale, Cinquante, "X", Blue, Canadian etc as mainstays of the domestic market. Charrington's Toby and Guinness were quite exotic but available at Toby's Good Eats..
We drank PC beer. It was a long walk to get it, past a No Frills which, bizarrely, sold all manner of PC products but not that one.

Where in the US would you have gone?. To me, only the Subaru states are of interest. Maine, VT, NH, Oregon, Washington, Colorado. Small town southern US or ex-urbia America holds no interest.
The adverts the week we decided to go and arranged everything were for CA, NYC and Kentucky. I suppose we would have gone to NYC. We didn't go there because they don't speak French in America and because we feared guns and lack of healthcare. I ended up working in the US for decades anyway.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 15th 2019 at 11:54 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

After almost 51 years here, I have no regrets, and no thoughts about what I would or would not have brought.

We were newly married, never owned a house, never had any furniture to think about bringing. All we really had were clothes, books and wedding presents. We still have most of the wedding presents, though some silverware has been passed on to our daughter, and the very nice but useless 240v Kenwood mixer was passed on to others willing to put up with the extra addition needed to use it.

Nor did we ever have any regretful thoughts about what we might be missing in the UK ........ we just got on with enjoying life here.

That would be my suggestion to you ............... don't keep looking back, don't keep thinking about those English foods (I've never even heard of most of what's mentioned on here, which means they're not "traditional" but "new" within the last 50 years!). Enjoy the new life here and accept that you are living in a different country, not an extension of the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 1:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotcad
Evening all,

Hello and welcome to BE!
You're probably going to regret posting your question.. lol.. there will be many that are totally irrelevant or tongue in cheek.. and hopefully a few that will be useful.

What are your main concerns?

My advice - go with the flow.. and don't make snap judgements nor hasty decisions! Think things through for a week or two before making any major life changing decisions -
Biggest thing is to be open minded and open to new experiences.. you need to be flexible when you relocate abroad.. and always remember your P's and Q's!

On a more serious note, if you haven't already got your drivers license and 2 years experience be prepared to have to do the graduated license program..

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 16th 2019 at 5:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.