Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
yeah a few, its a musical town, Irish bars, waterfront dancing, I think 3 large nightclubs. Its fun.
I've only visited for a week, saw an Irish pub or two but that was about it. It was very cold when I was there though, perhaps that's why it was pretty dead on the streets.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 6:21 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've only visited for a week, saw an Irish pub or two but that was about it. It was very cold when I was there though, perhaps that's why it was pretty dead on the streets.
oh I am sure thats why. The place is buzzing in the summer with street events etc etc along with whatever normally goes on. We get a ton of people from the cruise ships too. It took me an hour to get through gridlocked streets when leaving work when the buskers were there. I wasnt amused.
I dont work downtown anymore, its a traffic nightmare most weekdays in the summer and Fall.

(And then in the winter when you have lost half the street to snow)
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Technically, we were in Oatlands, so preferred to be associated with Weybridge. Only went to Walton under duress - as for Shepperton?? Other side of the river??? Argh!!!!
Ah Oatlands Park. Isn't that near Byfleet?

My granny lived in a flat she bought in the early 60s for £500!! Bet it's worth more than that now. It was just opposite the road that went down to Shepperton lock.
We used to walk down there and get a 99 with a flake and watch the boats.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Ah Oatlands Park. Isn't that near Byfleet?

BYFLEET! Definitely not! Oatlands is the village / area between Weybridge and Walton!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Currys is no more than a box shifter with stores and clueless staff. Twice now, we have checked stock levels for a particular item in the local store then gone there to buy it only to be told they were out of stock, when we pointed to the stock levels on our tablet they just said 'oh that's only a guide, it's almost always out of date' - shrugged and walked off. Needless to say my other half went ballistic!!!
That's why you should always use the 'reserve to collect instore' option at any store that has one. However stupid it feels, if it's something small or that they're likely to have - it forces someone to go and get it for you, so if/when they send an email 'your item is ready to be picked up', you've confirmed they actually have it in stock.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

BYFLEET! Definitely not! Oatlands is the village / area between Weybridge and Walton!
Oops sorry. It's been a long time since I was in that area.
But I was thinking about that part where all the celebrities and rich people live as you head out of Byfleet towards Weybridge.
So what's that called then?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Oops sorry. It's been a long time since I was in that area.
But I was thinking about that part where all the celebrities and rich people live as you head out of Byfleet towards Weybridge.
So what's that called then?

Yeah, just up the road from Brooklands / BAC / BAe - that would be St Georges Hills.

When my folks first moved to the UK, we had a house about 150m from the main entrance to St Georges Hills.

The other 'gated' posh communities are Burwood Park (closer to Walton than Weybridge) and Ashley Park (Walton)
Old Mar 30th 2017, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, just up the road from Brooklands / BAC / BAe - that would be St Georges Hills.

When my folks first moved to the UK, we had a house about 150m from the main entrance to St Georges Hills.

The other 'gated' posh communities are Burwood Park (closer to Walton than Weybridge) and Ashley Park (Walton)
It's all coming back to me now!

I lived in Woking then moved down to a little village north of Worthing so all a bit hazy. I do remember going with my boys on a school trip and walking all the way around Brooklands though.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:30 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to buy Grannypup a new Lenovo tablet from Tesco as they had a crackin' good deal but couldn't buy them on their click 'n collect system but couldnt as I don't have a Tesco card so bought it elsewhere. I got some camera filters online which were way cheaper than in Canada or indeed the US- normally camera stuff costs a lot more in the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
... Lenovo tablet from Tesco as they had a crackin' good deal but couldn't buy them on their click 'n collect system but couldnt as I don't have a Tesco card...
That just made me look with my mum in mind. The ordering process said they'd add a card if you didn't have one.

Of course you may not want one but it seems you could have completed the process.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:48 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That just made me look with my mum in mind. The ordering process said they'd add a card if you didn't have one.

Of course you may not want one but it seems you could have completed the process.
Looking at the website you need a post code- I could have put grannypup's in but they say they must have our own personal accurate information. TBH at the time I went shopping with her I felt like a massive pile of poo prior to me gong sickie big style so I left things to Snoop who did a brilliant job where I couldn't - she got the tablet and grannypup's was extremely happy with it although grandpapup wasn't as he hates things which involves even the sniff of technology.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 11:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Looking at the website you need a post code- I could have put grannypup's in but they say they must have our own personal accurate information. ...
Ah...the benefit of maintaining a UK credit card with a UK address.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wasss
I am moving to Canada just over a month's time and curious to know what things are cheaper in the UK and Canada?

I've read clothes and over the counter drugs like ibuprofen are cheaper in the UK, anything else?
Alchohol. Rent. Gym fees. Brown sauce. Salad cream. Potato scones.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 2:58 pm
Oscar nominated

Following on from my fridge comparison here with Currys and Argos, I had seen a 32" Toshiba TV at the Best Buy store this week that interested me. $180.

Did some more research and decided to buy.

Cheapest equivalent online at Currys is £250 and at Argos £170.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 4:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Bras. A good over the shoulder boulder holder will cost over $100 here, more likely $120.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.