Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

There but for the grace of god ?

There but for the grace of god ?

Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:40 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default There but for the grace of god ?

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/CP...hp?cpid=448027

:scared: T'is the reality of living way out in the bush.

For those interested in such, you can monitor BC wild fires here:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/pScripts/Pr...News/index.asp

Rich.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:16 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: There but for the grace of god ?

Forest fires aren't just an issue for those living in the bush. Kelowna, Kamloops, and many other western Canadian cities have been threatened by forest fires too.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:04 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Forest fires aren't just an issue for those living in the bush. Kelowna, Kamloops, and many other western Canadian cities have been threatened by forest fires too.
Uh, yeah, I was thinking life outside of the main throbbing metroplii of bustling humanity such as TO, Van, etc, as to such sophisticated urbanites, Kamloops and Kelowna are way out in the middle of the bush, oui ?

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jul 5th 2006 at 4:48 am.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:28 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Uh, yeah, I was thinking life outside of the main throbbing metroplii of bustling humanity such as TO, Van, etc, as to such sophisticated urbanites, Kamloops and Kelowna are way out in the middle of the bush, oui ?

Rich.
The bloke has to go up to Fort St John at the weekend...he has asthma and will be up there for two days. Not a good time for an unavoidable trip!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: There but for the grace of god ?

Rich.
Hi Rich, we were in Kelowna just after the last fire. Purchased a great book full of photographs of the actual fire when were last in Kelowna.

I also purchased a book on Okanagan geology which had some excellent information regarding the geographic set up around Kelowna - including the locations of the fault lines and where not to live!!!!!!!!!!

Watch out for the land slips as well!

Potentially good news on the redundancy front as well, spoke to my boss yesterday who thinks I have more than a good chance of being accepted - yahooooo!

Could be joining you Okanagan critters very soon or should I say red necks?

Paul :scared:
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:22 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick

Could be joining you Okanagan critters very soon or should I say red necks?

Paul :scared:
Red necks? We've all got mullets to stop us getting them
If you want to chat about the area, come and have a look here
http://www.accessokanagan.com/
Good info about the area and some great photos
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.
It's a reality here too - I've been hearing stories from locals about the huge fire in the 1980s when the entire population of Red Lake was airlifted to Winnipeg (about 5000 people) as the fire was coming up the highway from the south (and Red Lake is at the end of the highway - one way in, one way out!)
People were told to put out as much food and water for their pets and let them go free as they weren't allowed to bring them.
Thankfully the town was spared - big sigh of relief from the residents as many houses here are log homes.
There are still signs inthe bush of the fire, blackened tree stumps, etc.

I'm just praying nothing like that happens here as it cost enought to bring my pusscats here in the first place, don't want them ending up as a dry-roasted snack for the bears!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 5:18 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Bleech
Red necks? We've all got mullets to stop us getting them
Good news Paul you be here for late summer eh ?

"A man without a mullet is like a fish without water".

Rich.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: There but for the grace of god ?

Good news Paul you be here for late summer eh ?

"A man without a mullet is like a fish without water".

Rich.
All goes well, but may be early next year due to the national strategic project I am managing at present. I have informed my boss that I would prefer to leave in October but if the project is not finished March at the latest next year. Although not my preference it would add another year to my pension at least and give the exchange rate chance to recover. UK interest rates are forecast to start rising then and Canadian rates may have peaked by then.

If I can get it in writing we well put the house on the market immediately and move into rented if necessary.

Of more interest, is is better to buy proper mountain bikes in UK or wait until in Canada?

Hope to see you soon.

Paul
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:59 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Of more interest, is is better to buy proper mountain bikes in UK or wait until in Canada?
Depends what you mean by 'proper' - can get a 'budget' cross country bike for $200+ to $500 buy it'll be nasty TBH and actually dengerous if used on a rough trail when ridden 'with attitude'. From $500 to $1000 you get better but will have "hardtail" at the rear (means there is no suspension on the back). Full suspension bikes (decent) start at $1200 plus all the way to top end of $10,000 (no kidding, BC is the best for mtb'ing especially the Interior and North Shore vancouver).

For most peoples 'everyday needs' such as light XC use, $500-$1000 would suffice but if you really want to get into aggressive XC, downhill riding, and more generally aggressive, fun stuff, then think more like $2000-$3000 bracket. That gets you good front suspension (up to 7" or more) same on the rear, 8" disc brakes and more effective hydraulic brakes too.

Bear in mind this stuff is infectious too, super mad crazy mentalism, get a decent full face helmet for downhilling, $29 day passes at the ski lift for summer downhill riding, some leg/arm protection etc and it all adds up ($500-$750 for all that clobber) and get a truck/SUV with bike rack (2" receptacle at rear) and a $150-$250 bike rack. Insurance at 10% of bike replacement value IYWI isn't cheap eaither.

Compare price listed above plus what it'll cost to ship, then compare to current UK prices (plenty good retailers selling exact same bikes over in UK).

Personally (unless you are starting from scratch and want to build up stamina and get some experience) I'd wait til getting here, check out the trails and local scene, get some advice from a local bike store (avoids WallyMart, Sports Check/SportsMart type stores and go to an independent bike shop). Look for a bike that will meet yours needs but also let you 'grow into it' if you find you want to push the limits etc. You can always spend money to upgrade forks, suspension, brakes, etc, when you fancy it.

Off road riding is good here all but 2 months of the year, even then you can get onto Knox Mountain which is sheltered more and usually free of snow when snow lies around elsewhere higher up.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jul 5th 2006 at 7:10 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:16 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Rich.
Okay, Vancouver then, since it meets your criteria for a "main throbbing" metropolis:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ban-fires.html

By no means are Kamloops or Kelowna in the middle of the bush - unlike Ft. McMurray or Prince George.

Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:46 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Yep, I've seen the photos of when Grouse Mtn went up in flames (about 70? years ago) and that is only 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver (and about 10 minutes from my place).

When the Kelowna forest fires were happening I did change my opinion of the trees around me (no longer welcome shade but potential tinder...) and the walls of the house got so hot (more tinder...) :scared:

Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:01 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Yep, I've seen the photos of when Grouse Mtn went up in flames (about 70? years ago) and that is only 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver (and about 10 minutes from my place).

When the Kelowna forest fires were happening I did change my opinion of the trees around me (no longer welcome shade but potential tinder...) and the walls of the house got so hot (more tinder...) :scared:

Only about 2 years ago they were very worried about a fire in a marsh area somewhere in Surrey. Bush fires in and around Vancouver are more common than some posters here seem to think.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:11 pm
Lotus-eater

I'll await dbd33's informed opinions as to whether the twin K's are in bushland or not. Where's an urbane sophisticata when you need one.

Rich.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:15 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Only about 2 years ago they were very worried about a fire in a marsh area somewhere in Surrey. Bush fires in and around Vancouver are more common than some posters here seem to think.
Wasn't that something to do with setting a homeless guy on fire though

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.