Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are there any Ex-Pat Groups in London ON?

Are there any Ex-Pat Groups in London ON?

Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

geordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nice
Default Are there any Ex-Pat Groups in London ON?

Can someone point me in the direction of an ex-pat group in London, Ontario (or the immediate area) please? I was under the impression that there was a group called the St George's Society, however a Google search only came up with a rugby club! Great fun, but I don't think they'd appreciate a middle-age lady on their team... and I'd look a right clip in a cheer-leader's outfit!

I know there's a lot of Anglophiles in this region, but I've never heard of a get-together for them... unless I'm out of the loop entirely by living out of the city

Last edited by iaink; Jan 5th 2011 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Ex-Pat Groups in London ON?

Welcome to BE.... I moved this to a more appropriate forum for you.

Someone was asking about one in Cambridge the other day, which is relatively close. I believe Novo posted an address.

Theres more than a few posters here from London anyway, so perhaps someone could take the plunge and arrange a local meetup?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Welcome to BE.... I moved this to a more appropriate forum for you.

Someone was asking about one in Cambridge the other day, which is relatively close. I believe Novo posted an address.

Theres more than a few posters here from London anyway, so perhaps someone could take the plunge and arrange a local meetup?
Whatever happened to Ed in London Ont. ?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

i AM IN lONDON, BEEN HERE 20 YEARS NOW.
The St georges club is on Dundas St, east london just past the airport. It is a rugby, and now soccer club that has a largish hall where they have socials now and again (halloween, bonfire night for example). i haven't been to a social there for many years. There are quite a few brits here, i for one would love to attend a meet up!
There are a few pretend british pubs here also. We mainly go to the waltzing Weasel on Adelaide St North for a pint, it is nice in the summer as there is mini golf etc next door.
PM me if you like..........
Simon.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

geordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nicegeordie1948 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SimonB1964
The St georges club is on Dundas St, east london just past the airport. It is a rugby, and now soccer club that has a largish hall where they have socials now and again (halloween, bonfire night for example). i haven't been to a social there for many years. There are quite a few brits here, i for one would love to attend a meet up!
There are a few pretend british pubs here also. We mainly go to the waltzing Weasel on Adelaide St North for a pint, it is nice in the summer as there is mini golf etc next door.
Simon.
Hi Simon: It's nice to hear from you! Forgive my ignorance - I'm not sure what a PM is or how to do it!! I just joined this group last night so I'm still finding my way around the site. But it's really great to hear from so many nice people. I know the Waltzing Weasel quite well; I just love thir chicken wings! But I honestly can't say that I've ever heard another English voice when I dropped in!

I'm from Wallsend, went to the grammar school there, then onto Durham U but came over here with my parents when my dad was offered a job in London. Now I live in a little village just NW of London.

My parents used to go to the St George's - but that was ages ago. I don't know if they have website or a mail list... but I wonder how you find out about the socials there... perhaps they're just for the fooball players?

From what I can see, it might be be an easy thing to arrange a get-together of ex-pats at the WW, using this medium as a connector. What do you think?

Good 'talking' with you!
Lynn
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi, I just sent an email via the forum to you!
Hope too speak soon.
Let's try to get a London meet up sorted, it would be nice to meet new people especially during hthese cold boring winters!!
Cheers,
Simon and Cindy.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie1948
Hi Simon: It's nice to hear from you! Forgive my ignorance - I'm not sure what a PM is or how to do it!! I just joined this group last night so I'm still finding my way around the site. But it's really great to hear from so many nice people. I know the Waltzing Weasel quite well; I just love thir chicken wings! But I honestly can't say that I've ever heard another English voice when I dropped in!

I'm from Wallsend, went to the grammar school there, then onto Durham U but came over here with my parents when my dad was offered a job in London. Now I live in a little village just NW of London.

My parents used to go to the St George's - but that was ages ago. I don't know if they have website or a mail list... but I wonder how you find out about the socials there... perhaps they're just for the fooball players?

From what I can see, it might be be an easy thing to arrange a get-together of ex-pats at the WW, using this medium as a connector. What do you think?

Good 'talking' with you!
Lynn
I can't help with the specific enquiry, but welcome to the forum Lynn.

Novo (aka geordie1950) Howay the lads!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like there is some interest in a London meet up.
Watch this space!!
Simon.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there is some interest in a London meet up.
Watch this space!!
Simon.
If it comes together dont forget to add it to the BE meetups calendar...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/calendar.php
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Iain, I was wandering if there was an application of sorts to get something organised!
Cheers!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Except there is no 2011 calendar?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Ah, that would be a slight impediment.

I will post something in the techy area....
Old Jan 7th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Simon.
Hmm...the Waltzing Weasel in London Ontario

http://goo.gl/maps/1Ggc

and the one I know in the UK..

http://goo.gl/maps/JgyY

any common link?

Love your comment about 'pretend' british pubs in Canada..very true.

I'm not in London, Ontario, but as long as you don't meet up at the 7 Dwarfs you'll be alright (hopefully that place is gone now).
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Fixed now
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!!