Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thanks & some more silly questions...

Wikiposts

Thanks & some more silly questions...

Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Thanks & some more silly questions...

Thanks for everyones help about buying a car - we are now the owners of a Ford Escape. We even managed to get the insurance down from $7500 to $880.
I have a couple more silly questions though.
Does anyone know where I can buy a normal chicken for roasting?? Sobeys, ASS etc sell tiny little chickens for $15+. I don't understand it. R chickens in short supply here?
We have been invited to a party on Boxing day and I'm not sure if we should take anything.
Apparently we should be able to light our woodburner in the morning and it should stay lit all day. Ours is going out in an hour if we don't put more wood on - What are we doing wrong?
My parents want to come for a visit in Feb/March - Is there anyone other than Air Canada (600 pounds each) that fly to Halifax during then winter? Why don't Zoom?
I'm sure I'll have another list of daft questions in a couple of days but for now thats it.
Thanks
Angela (Loving the snow)

Last edited by achak; Dec 20th 2007 at 12:17 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanks & some more silly questions...

Originally Posted by achak
We have been invited to a party on Boxing day and I'm not sure if we should take anything.
I would. A bottle of wine is usually appreciated and many people will take an appetizer or cake for desert. It is much better to take something when it is not necessary than be thought to be mean.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the car and the insurance.

I don't know the answers to some of your questions.

As to the matter of what to take to the Boxing Day function, I would phone the hosts and say, "What can I bring?" This is a more sincere question than, "Can I bring anything?" In the case of the latter question, the host may feel obligated (obliged) to say, "No, you don't need to bring anything, other than yourselves." When you ask "What can I bring?" it sounds as if you are taking it for granted that you'll be bringing something, and that sounds more genuince. At that point the host will say, "Thanks for asking. Could you bring [fill in the blank]?" The host also may say, "Thanks for asking, but I've got it all under control. Just bring yourselves."

Even if the host tells you not to bring anything, it is customary to take a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers or something.

I realize that JonboyE already has said this, albeit more succinctly, but I just want to reinforce his advice.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Dec 20th 2007 at 12:24 pm. Reason: To acknowledge JBE.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

genuince.
Paying false homage by kneeling very reluctantly?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Only Air Canada flying to Halifax over winter. You might find it a little cheaper to book though another route eg OPODO. Still same flight but you might get a discount.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyones help about buying a car - we are now the owners of a Ford Escape.
I hope it is a pre 2005 model. I was watching a show the other day where they crash tested various cars. HTe pre 2005 was below acceptable/average and 2005 was average. The one that came out best was the volvo s40 with virtually zero damage to the interior and protecting the passenger the best.

I still don't like volvo.

And congrats on bringing down the insurance. How on earth did you do that?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Hi, It is a 2006 model - I'll just hope we don't crash!!!
As for the insurance, we went into the Co-operators and they quoted us $3000 for the year. We then asked about house insurance and they gave us a discount on both so car is $880 and house is $200. It made my week getting it so cheap..

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I hope it is a pre 2005 model. I was watching a show the other day where they crash tested various cars. HTe pre 2005 was below acceptable/average and 2005 was average. The one that came out best was the volvo s40 with virtually zero damage to the interior and protecting the passenger the best.

I still don't like volvo.

And congrats on bringing down the insurance. How on earth did you do that?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 6:46 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everyones help about buying a car - we are now the owners of a Ford Escape. We even managed to get the insurance down from $7500 to $880.
Does anyone know where I can buy a normal chicken for roasting?? Sobeys, ASS etc sell tiny little chickens for $15+. I don't understand it. R chickens in short supply here?
Apparently we should be able to light our woodburner in the morning and it should stay lit all day. Ours is going out in an hour if we don't put more wood on - What are we doing wrong?
My parents want to come for a visit in Feb/March - Is there anyone other than Air Canada (600 pounds each) that fly to Halifax during then winter? Why don't Zoom?
I'm sure I'll have another list of daft questions in a couple of days but for now thats it.
Thanks
Angela (Loving the snow)
INSURANCE
We went through a similar insurance dance in NB. 4000 each down to 3000 for both of us (two cars).

CHICKENS
Chickens do seem to be smaller and relatively expensive here for some reason?? We havent fathomed that out yet either, we have just got used to buying and roasting two chickens at a time. However Pork tenderlion is the best bargain in Sobeys/superstore cheap as chips and great meat, so tender! I still cannot believe the price of cuts such as ribs compared to pork joints... I suppose it is supply and demand.

BOXING DAY
Bottle of wine, or offer to do the dessert, or take some typical UK dessert offerings such as mince pies / Sherry Trifle etc...

WOODBURNER
You may have the draft control set to high so it roars away. Check if you have a lever on top of the burner (you should be able to slide it left to right or right to left) it controls the amount of draft. I find if we slide it closed the woodstove can stay in all night on a couple of logs. Especially if you let some ash build up.

FLIGHTS
I guess there isnt enough demand for Zoom in the winter.

Thats All I have to offer.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me glad to live in Saskatchewan: the same car I had in England would apparently cost under $700 a year to insure with no driving record, which is about what I paid over there with nearly a twenty-year accident-free driving record. But I certainly don't think I'd want to be driving a mid-engined Italian convertible in the winter .
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:11 am
Can't wait to get there!

josiejo202 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only question i can try and answer for you is to suggest you try Canadian Affair, they might have some flights left, i rang them today instead of going on-line and they did say they had some spaces left in Feb and March but you would need to be quick.
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

They told me they don';t fly to Halifax between dec and May!!!
Originally Posted by josiejo202
The only question i can try and answer for you is to suggest you try Canadian Affair, they might have some flights left, i rang them today instead of going on-line and they did say they had some spaces left in Feb and March but you would need to be quick.
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 12:11 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

We have a wood burning stove and I don't think you are doing anything wrong, other than listening to the twit who told you it'll keep going all day without putting more wood on.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

They told me they don';t fly to Halifax between dec and May!!!
You are correct. They don't
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

alyxsylvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Angela (Loving the snow)
The woodstove must be an airtight to burn all night. If its supposed to be such and it's not staying hot check the seal on the door and the air vents which should screw tightly shut once the fire is going and you are going to bed. Also different types of wood burn for different lengths of time. E.g. Oak and Maple burn longer than pine and birch. Also a good long burning hardwood must be cut split and dryed for 1 to 2 yrs to get the best burn time. They call this Seasoning the firewood
Old Dec 27th 2007, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough

Have you tried air transit? I dont know where they fly but we got a flight Gatwick to Montreal at the end of Jan £7.50 + tax The return flight was more expensive, it was £67 + tax but who can complain at those prices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.