Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Test of character............

Test of character............

Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Test of character............

I received an unwelcome christmas present yesterday, I got made redundant. The seafood business is a challenging one these days and my former employers are going through hard times.

So I get to face the challenge most new immigrants face in Canada, albeit a year after I landed. I was fortunate to secure a good job, equivalent or above my UK job before I arrived. And I've had a year of well paid employment which has helped settling in considerably.

But now its beat the bushes for a new position. Complication being that we really want to stay in Newfoundland as my wife has family here and we've really settled in. But, that might be a challenge as good jobs in my field (supply chain / purchasing / logistics) are not exactly 10 a penny here.

So its NL first, Nova Scotia second and beyond that who knows. It'll be an interesting conundrum because our Canada experience is all about coming home to Newfoundland. Like many others here I have become convinced that having a good job is a fundamental requirement to make it all work. A quick webtrawl shows potential positions for me in Ontario & Alberta and yes lots back home. That would be a tough decision for us. We like the space and freedom of Atlantic Canada and dislike cities. I don't know whats going to happen.

I'm trying to keep positive and focussed. After a day getting used to the idea, tomorrow is CV/Resume update time and then its schmooze all the contacts I know and get out on the street job hunting. Its difficult though - first time being made redundant in a 15 year career. Not nice, but being made redundant is not something that only happens in Canada or even only to immigrants to Canada!

So if anyone out there wants or knows of anyone who wants a well experienced supply chain/purchasing/logistics director/manager or has tommorrow nights Super 7 lotto numbers please feel free to get in touch!!

AX
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Test of character............

A real test, you're right.

I really hope a great job comes along soon.

Let us know how you get on.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I received an unwelcome christmas present yesterday, I got made redundant. The seafood business is a challenging one these days and my former employers are going through hard times.

So I get to face the challenge most new immigrants face in Canada, albeit a year after I landed. I was fortunate to secure a good job, equivalent or above my UK job before I arrived. And I've had a year of well paid employment which has helped settling in considerably.

But now its beat the bushes for a new position. Complication being that we really want to stay in Newfoundland as my wife has family here and we've really settled in. But, that might be a challenge as good jobs in my field (supply chain / purchasing / logistics) are not exactly 10 a penny here.

So its NL first, Nova Scotia second and beyond that who knows. It'll be an interesting conundrum because our Canada experience is all about coming home to Newfoundland. Like many others here I have become convinced that having a good job is a fundamental requirement to make it all work. A quick webtrawl shows potential positions for me in Ontario & Alberta and yes lots back home. That would be a tough decision for us. We like the space and freedom of Atlantic Canada and dislike cities. I don't know whats going to happen.

I'm trying to keep positive and focussed. After a day getting used to the idea, tomorrow is CV/Resume update time and then its schmooze all the contacts I know and get out on the street job hunting. Its difficult though - first time being made redundant in a 15 year career. Not nice, but being made redundant is not something that only happens in Canada or even only to immigrants to Canada!

So if anyone out there wants or knows of anyone who wants a well experienced supply chain/purchasing/logistics director/manager or has tommorrow nights Super 7 lotto numbers please feel free to get in touch!!

AX

Sorry to hear your bad news! Hope something comes along very soon for you!

Good luck and keep us up-to-date on your progress in finding a new job!

Good luck karma sent to you!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that, good luck in the job search.

An aquaintance of mine in Ontario upped sticks to go back to the Rock, he was a (veg) buyer for one of the supermarket chains here, and headed back in search of a similar job there. He had a couple of possible openings through finding where the new stores were opening and talking to the managment.

We've lost touch since he headed back, so that doesnt really help, but he was pretty upbeat about the market there this time last year.

Good luck, hope its a brief layoff.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing with us, Atlantic Xpat.

I'm impressed with the logical way you're approaching the situation.

Sorry, I can't do the Super 7 Lotto thing, but the least I can do is send you a boost of karma.

All the best as you take the next steps.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:03 pm
Cowtown

Was in the same situation ... thought about moving back east, toughed it out in Alberta instead ... still here with a way better job, so no regrets

Don't panic or get negative, explore every possibility, it'll work out in the end.

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:34 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear the news......wishing you every slice of luck and spin of the dice.

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

dkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear your news. Sounds as if you're taking it very calmly and sensibly - hopefully it will mean you can stay in Newfoundland.

Deborah
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:56 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

So if anyone out there .... has tommorrow nights Super 7 lotto numbers please feel free to get in touch!!
5, 15, 23, 26, 31, 46 and 48 ... but if you win, I want a cut.

What a bummer though!

I like your attitude; I think you'll pass the test.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

AX
Hi

I also joined the redundancy club last week, so I know how you feel. Still, at least it happened to me over here and not in my first year in Canada.

Good luck and I hope you find a new job soon.

At least you do not have to avoid telling potential employers of your intention to up sticks and leave the UK within a few months/weeks of starting a new job.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gray C
At least you do not have to avoid telling potential employers of your intention to up sticks and leave the UK within a few months/weeks of starting a new job.
A mate of my brother mentioned to his boss that he was considering migrating to Canada and was promptly sacked.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Thanks for all the comments and karma .... I've gone from 315 reputation points to 1027 overnight it seems! I'm still in shock and pretty sick about it but live does move on. In 2 years we've emigrated, I've started and now lost a new job, we've got married (in itself a challenge involving the judge cancelling a week before, terrible wedding photo's and Mrs AX's maid of honour abandoning her a mont h prior to the wedding.), we bought a house here, went through the stress of taking a year to sell in UK, my father was diagnosed and successfully treated for prostate cancer, Mrs AX has completed a second degree & still cant get a full time teaching job and we had to have the dog put down.

All in all we were looking forward to a slighty smoother 2006. Here's still hoping!

AX

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Dec 2nd 2005 at 5:40 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi, you have gone through the "wars" mate!

Here in NB they have a system where by, if you put in enough full time hours in a past year, you can get some "social benefits" to assist.
They must have similar on NF?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hi, you have gone through the "wars" mate!

Here in NB they have a system where by, if you put in enough full time hours in a past year, you can get some "social benefits" to assist.
They must have similar on NF?
Its a good question which maybe someone can shed light on.....

I'm a family class immigrant. So Mrs AX has signed an undertaking that she will financially provide for me for three years. So my thinking/understanding is that I would not be able claim EI (Employment Insurance) for another 2 years.
But, I have paid a years worth of contributions. So it would be a bit of a bugger to think I get no benefit from that.

Anyone with any thoughts or experience of this?

AX
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its a good question which maybe someone can shed light on.....

I'm a family class immigrant. So Mrs AX has signed an undertaking that she will financially provide for me for three years. So my thinking/understanding is that I would not be able claim EI (Employment Insurance) for another 2 years.
But, I have paid a years worth of contributions. So it would be a bit of a bugger to think I get no benefit from that.

Anyone with any thoughts or experience of this?

AX
I think...but dont quote me...that if you do claim, anything you manage to get in the short term will get clawed back at income tax return time from her assesment. Might help if there is a short term cash flow problem? If its true, which it might not be.

I'm basing that in my EI experience where I got EI, but then ended up paying it all back with my tax return as having landed a job my annual income exceeded the number they based the payment calculation on.

Nothing unusual about paying into the system and not being able to get anything back...just ask anyone on a work permit But, if you dont ask...

Last edited by iaink; Dec 2nd 2005 at 7:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.