Terrace, BC

Old Aug 13th 2014, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

TC8474 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Terrace, BC

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and thought I would pick your brains.

I currently work in the UK as a property lawyer but have been offered a job by another UK firm who have confirmed that they will support me to work remotely from Canada. I will still be advising UK clients on UK law and won't be practising Canadian law as I know that cross qualification is extremely difficult.

Through a fluke of birth (my mum was born in Vancouver), I have a canadian passport and I understand that it should be possible to get my girlfriend a permanent residence visa as we've been living together for a couple of years.

We're both very keen outdoors people and have decided to move to Terrace in northern B.C. I've been there several times on fishing trips but don't know the town itself too well.

I realise it's probably a longshot but if there's anyone here who lives in Terrace or knows it well and has any observations/warnings on what life is like there, they'd be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Tom
Old Aug 13th 2014, 12:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrace, BC

I know someone who has just moved from Terrace to AB. Much to his disgust but because of his gf's job. Anyway, his interests are fishing, weed, fishing, weed, snowboarding, weed, fishing, fishing & weed. His idea of heaven was being in the back of beyond with good fishing, weed and access to snowboarding. He loved Terrace. Draw your own conclusions from that.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I have been there a couple of times for work so my two penny's worth.
People very friendly
Lots of outdoor activities mostly hunting
LNG has been mined close by the population is about to boom.
Should be lots work

Very remote
Cold for me in winter
Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:32 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

There is a huge aluminum smelter there. Not a very pretty sight.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 6:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
There is a huge aluminum smelter there. Not a very pretty sight.
The Aluminum smelter is in Kitimat.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I know someone who has just moved from Terrace to AB. Much to his disgust but because of his gf's job. Anyway, his interests are fishing, weed, fishing, weed, snowboarding, weed, fishing, fishing & weed. His idea of heaven was being in the back of beyond with good fishing, weed and access to snowboarding. He loved Terrace. Draw your own conclusions from that.
Sounds good!
Old Aug 13th 2014, 6:43 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The Aluminum smelter is in Kitimat.
Indeed it is. The one in Trail is zinc and lead I believe. Whatever, it is a large gash on the landscape.