tenant rights

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tenant rights

Hi,

Can a landlord enter my apartment while I am not there, even if he gives me 24 notice. He wants to come tomorrow (his 24 notice is a note on the door) but I am out for the weekend and I do not want anybody in my apartment if I am not there.

Thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tenant rights

Originally Posted by daiske
Hi,

Can a landlord enter my apartment while I am not there, even if he gives me 24 notice. He wants to come tomorrow (his 24 notice is a note on the door) but I am out for the weekend and I do not want anybody in my apartment if I am not there.

Thanks
Check your lease and the residential tenancy act in your Province.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks,

I've just found it out.
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...T_OF_ENTRY.pdf

Yes they can (in Alberta), unless there is a good reason. I wonder if being sick or celebrating Yom Kipur counts like a good reason.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I am out for the weekend and I do not want anybody in my apartment if I am not there.
Yes they can (in Alberta), unless there is a good reason. I wonder if being sick or celebrating Yom Kipur counts like a good reason.
It may well be a good reason. If you were at home. If you're away, probably not.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

For BC from the government website.

"Proper notice means a tenant is given written notice of the date, time and purpose for entering the property. By law, notice must be delivered in-person or considered by law to have been given to the tenant at least 24 hours before the landlord enters the unit."

Landlord's Access - During a Tenancy

I've never had a landlord want to enter on a regular basis, it's always just been once per year for the fire alarm/detector inspection, and then its never the landlord, and always the company doing the inspection.

Apparently though the landlord can enter once per month with notice to inspect the condition of the premises.

"The rental unit once per month to inspect the condition of the property – proper notice to tenants is required"
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Here in Alberta it's the same, but I do not think that sticking a note on your door and then not being available for the whole day could be considered as a 24h. notice.
I have been trying to contact the manager and she hasn't been in the office (she is supposed to be there until 5) or answered the telephone.
I guess I'll have visitors tomorrow, but they are going to find a mess here. Next time she'll make sure I get the 24h notice.

Thanks anyway.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

But you did get the notice, didn't you? Here, even a text message seems to be acceptable as written notice.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Here in Alberta it's the same, but I do not think that sticking a note on your door and then not being available for the whole day could be considered as a 24h. notice.
I have been trying to contact the manager and she hasn't been in the office (she is supposed to be there until 5) or answered the telephone.
I guess I'll have visitors tomorrow, but they are going to find a mess here. Next time she'll make sure I get the 24h notice.

Thanks anyway.
Or you may find that you end up facing an action to evict you.

You may choose to read section 23(5) of this: Residential Tenancies Act
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

I got the message but not 24h in advance.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

They can't evict a person for being messy, can they?

Last edited by daiske; Oct 4th 2014 at 1:18 am.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Depends in how excessively messy it is and if they believe it'll get worse. I live in BC so I'm sure the rules are different but here they would have to apply to the residential tenancy branch, give you notice, etc.

If it's just regular lived in mess then I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

I am moving, packing all my things and all, so I have an excuse to have all my things around .
What pisses me off is that landlords think they have all the rights. In our first apartment the owner was complaining because we did not have enough furniture and she couldn't show the place like that.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:38 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
I live in BC so I'm sure the rules are different but here they would have to apply to the residential tenancy branch, give you notice, etc.
Apply to the RTB for what? If it is an inspection, landlords are required to serve the tenant 24 hours notice, no more. Some municipalities require landlords to undertake regular inspections.

Section 29 Residential Tenancy Act
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:44 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What pisses me off is that landlords think they have all the rights.
You might feel differently if one of your tenants does a disappearing act owing rent and leaving a few thousand dollars damage.

In our first apartment the owner was complaining because we did not have enough furniture and she couldn't show the place like that.
Why is that funny? If you went to view an apartment wouldn't you like to see it looking nice rather than have the appearance of nothing more than a place to doss or worse?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Just to clarify, I am not going to burn anything.
What I meant is that if the property management gives me proper notice and let me be there while showing the apartment, I clean it up everything and try to make it attractive for future tenants.
Since they do not make any effort, I won't do it either.

Last edited by daiske; Oct 4th 2014 at 1:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.