Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temporary import of UK Car for 2-year contract in GTA

Temporary import of UK Car for 2-year contract in GTA

Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary import of UK Car for 2-year contract in GTA

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Are you saying you have a hot ass?
'll take a picture of it and send it so you can say if it is ? roflmhao
Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:16 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
roflmhao
Well played.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

OffToOntario is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of your responses - and an interesting diversion on block heaters!

I've done a bit more looking into it and found out that leasing is likely to cost a lot more than the extra insurance and car transport. (I was quoted around $800 plus tax for a ford fusion per month (25000 km per year), plus the excess mileage, which I guess could add up as I expect to drive around 40,000km per year. I'd also save on fuel if I took my own car as it uses about half the amount of fuel of the fusion. Parts should be ok as the same basic car and engine are available in Canada. The only extra cost I'll have apart from insurance (which I expect to be eye watering) is the extra depreciation for the mileage when I come to sell my car (which when it has so many miles anyway probably won't make a huge difference), plus I save on car storage while I'm away.

Does anyone have any experience with insuring a right hand drive car in Ontario? Which companies will cover them please?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OffToOntario
Hi,

I've been offered a 2 year contract in the Toronto area, and it seems like a great opportunity to live in a pretty cool place. I don't really want to sell my current car as I'd like to use it when I get back. Ideally I'd like to not buy a car only to sell it 2 years later in Canada. I've seen from the transport canada website it is possible to bring a car in as a temporary resident as long as you take it back when you leave. However this leaves a few questions:

-Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
-I've heard horror stories of insuring right hand drive cars - does anyone have any tips with this?
-Does anyone have any other useful tips or advice?

Thanks so much!

The cost of doing so would be too high to make it worthwhile. Why not just store your car while here? Storage fess likely wouldn't be much.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I suggest for a bit of fun going into a UK garage and asking them how much to install a block heater on your car as you will need to plug in the car during the winter.
Watch for the reaction unless the mechanic has spent a winter in Canada.

A block heater isn't necessary in Toronto. A block heater came stock with my car and I've never once plugged it in.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Apart from the Vancouver area most places in Canada can and do receive sporadic cold weather be it be for a few days (GTA) or months Manitoba and Saskatchewan. All it needs is the one day when the car is not plugged in and it wont start. Many do survive without plugging in but why risk it if you dont watch the weather on a regular basis. In 3 days we have gone from minus 30C to minus 7C. My car was plugged in.

Why bother plugging it in if it isn't necessary? My car sits outside overnight all winter and I've never had a problem, not even during last year's horrendous winter. And depending on where the OP ends up living it could be even less necessary (ie. underground parking garage in a condo) or impractical (ie. a townhouse without a garage in which to plug in the electrical cord). Toronto is not Saskatchewan or northern Alberta and one does not need to treat their car as if they were living in those areas.

Last edited by colchar; Dec 15th 2014 at 3:46 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all of your responses - and an interesting diversion on block heaters!

I've done a bit more looking into it and found out that leasing is likely to cost a lot more than the extra insurance and car transport. (I was quoted around $800 plus tax for a ford fusion per month (25000 km per year), plus the excess mileage, which I guess could add up as I expect to drive around 40,000km per year. I'd also save on fuel if I took my own car as it uses about half the amount of fuel of the fusion. Parts should be ok as the same basic car and engine are available in Canada. The only extra cost I'll have apart from insurance (which I expect to be eye watering) is the extra depreciation for the mileage when I come to sell my car (which when it has so many miles anyway probably won't make a huge difference), plus I save on car storage while I'm away.

Does anyone have any experience with insuring a right hand drive car in Ontario? Which companies will cover them please?

Thanks again!

I just checked Ford's website and calculated a lease (with $1500 down payment) that didn't come anywhere near $800 before taxes, it came in at $680 with taxes. And leasing isn't your only option as you could just buy a used car here for a few grand and sell it before you leave thus getting a chunk of your money back.

Importing a car for a two year visit seems like a big hassle when it is incredibly easy to get a car here. Then there is the issue that RHD vehicles aren't exactly practical in a LHD country (ie. how are you going to see to make a left hand turn if there are cars coming from the opposite direction who are also making left hand turns...you are going to have a nasty blind spot there).
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:14 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Drive-thrus will be impossible to operate without a passenger!
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Drive-thrus will be impossible to operate without a passenger!
Just reverse through

Toll booths could be tricky though, and forget about driving over to the states
Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:31 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by iaink
Just reverse through
No accidents, guaranteed!

Old Dec 15th 2014, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Only the Facility Association will cover a RHD drive car of a model type not offered in Canada that is being driven 25,000 miles a year in Ontario by a driver new to the Province. They are the insurer of last resort.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If diesels need block heaters, how come tractors don't have block heaters?
Mine does, but I always forget to plug it in. It starts OK, but using the front end loader requires lots of patience until the fluids start to run properly.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Dec 15th 2014 at 5:13 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

With modern oil etc they don't need block heaters. But I use mine now as it's an inline coolant heater. I get heat much more quickly.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

@offtoontario: I assume you have included the cost of shipping vehicle back to the UK & getting it back in through customs/red tape in your calculations?

My opinion: KISS; leave/sell car in UK. Buy used clunker in Canada.

S
Old Dec 15th 2014, 5:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It starts OK, but using the front end loader requires lots of patience until the fluids start to run properly.
Oh yes. There was a winter when I didn't have a blower and cleared just with the bucket. I'd start the tractor then go and feed the animals so it would have time to get flowing.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:49 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!
I'd suggest having a look at unhaggle or carcostcanada. They can save you a bit on a car, plus they show you various schemes that the dealerships have, and from memory I do recall most having schemes for newcomers. You could also talk to a couple of banks and ask them about their newcomer packages, and see if they have any affiliation with certain car makers and could also get favourable interest rates for finance / leasing.

As others have said, have you factored in the costs surrounding getting your car here?

Parts might be ok, but there can be differences between UK spec cars and Canadian ones. You'd certainly want to check on that if not already done so.
In addition parts prices might be more expensive in Canada than in the UK, so that's another factor.

Are you able to change parts yourself, and service the car yourself? I ask as you'd likely want to also check with a local dealer / auto shop if they'll work on an RHD car.

Insurance will be expensive for a newcomer regardless, but newcomer plus imported car, that's really going to sting, and I really don't believe that a new, or even used Canadian spec car, is going to be more expensive than the RHD.

I did consider wether to import my car (1994 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon - was grey imported to the UK from Japan) with me when I came in 2003. It would certainly have been unique, but it would have cost a lot to ship, insure, and maintain, and it was getting on for 10 years old at that point. In the end it was easier and cheaper to simply purchase a used car here (1992 VW Jetta GL). I did pay more for insurance on it than my Impreza, which did irk me, as it was neither younger, quicker, nor modified.