Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temporary car imports

Temporary car imports

Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Hig73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary car imports

We're entering Canada on a study permit, and planning to stay for four years.

It seems that the usual car import rules don't apply for temporary residents, and we could feasibly import a car for the duration of our stay without the usual 15 year old restriction - although we would have to export the car at the end of our stay.

Has anyone done this? It strikes me that the problem is insurance. Presumably it isn't possible to register the car in Canada, so we wouldn't be able to get regular Canadian insurance?

Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary car imports

Originally Posted by Hig73

It seems that the usual car import rules don't apply for temporary residents, and we could feasibly import a car for the duration of our stay without the usual 15 year old restriction - although we would have to export the car at the end of our stay.

Has anyone done this? It strikes me that the problem is insurance. Presumably it isn't possible to register the car in Canada, so we wouldn't be able to get regular Canadian insurance?

Thanks
My partner is here "temporarily". Her car has US plates and is insured with a US company. They were unfazed by the car being in Canada as they're used to insuring the private cars of service personnel posted abroad, they rate Canada the same as Germany. This arrangement is very much cheaper than insuring the car with a local company.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
My son's friend is here on a work permit, and he brought a car with him from Europe; one which would not 'normally' be allowed into the country. It is registered and insured locally. However, he is not allowed to sell it here and must take it back when he leaves.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:11 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
My partner is here "temporarily". Her car has US plates and is insured with a US company. They were unfazed by the car being in Canada as they're used to insuring the private cars of service personnel posted abroad, they rate Canada the same as Germany. This arrangement is very much cheaper than insuring the car with a local company.
Yes, it's way cheaper until she has an accident. Then it's way more expensive, because when they investigate after the evident and find that she isn't living where she claimed for insurance purposes, they won't cover her.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Yes, it's way cheaper until she has an accident. Then it's way more expensive, because when they investigate after the evident and find that she isn't living where she claimed for insurance purposes, they won't cover her.
She claims to live here. The renewal notice came here. To the insurance company it's the same as someone posted abroad for a few years. Her use of the car is completely above board.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:39 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

She claims to live here. The renewal notice came here. To the insurance company it's the same as someone posted abroad for a few years. Her use of the car is completely above board.
LOL. If she claims she lives in Toronto, she has to have Ontario registration for the car and have an Ontario driver's license. There is no way that an insurer in the US can (or will) sell car insurance to someone resident in Ontario for a car properly registered in Ontario.

The only way she can even drive the car into Canada is to tell Customes that she is just visiting - otherwise the car would be seized on the spot. We can't reside in Canada and drive a car (US plates) through Customes without declaring it.

Clearly, what she is doing is not "above board".

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 24th 2006 at 11:50 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

LOL. If she claims she lives in Toronto, she has to have Ontario registration for the car and have an Ontario driver's license. There is no way that an insurer in the US can (or will) sell car insurance to someone resident in Ontario for a car properly registered in Ontario.

The only way she can even drive the car into Canada is to tell Customes that she is just visiting - otherwise the car would be seized on the spot. We can't reside in Canada and drive a car (US plates) through Customes without declaring it.

Clearly, what she is doing is not "above board".
It may be beyond you, but it's certainly kosher.

Consider the case of a US serviceman posted to Labrador. His home address is Texas. He has a truck with Texas plates insured at his permanent address, in Texas. He is in Labrador for, say, three years and takes his truck, it still has Texas plates but needs insurance. What he does is to get the US insurer to endorse the insurance for use based in Labraddor.

Similarly, someone taking a degree course in Canada is a temporary resident for, usually, four years. If that person brings a car it needs insuring, they likely can't get insurance with a Canadian carrier so they get an endorsement from the US (or possibly other) insurer.

Legal, common practise, nothing weird about it. No requirement for a local license if you're not resident. I don't even think a non-resident can get a local license. (What's not ok is anyone other than the owner using the car as that violates the "personal use" condition of importation.)

Does you car have Mexican plates ? Do you have a Mexican driving license ?
If not, aren't you in the same position when in Mexico, or, if so, aren't you in the same postion in Canada ?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

btw, we're driving to the US tomorrow, as we often do. We'll be in the US plated car and we'll bring it back into Canada explaining the situation accurately. I don't expect any bother over this as there's been no trouble the past dozen times. Still, if I never post again, it's because I'm jail, the unthinkable having happened.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:35 am
mañana is my busiest day

It may be beyond you, but it's certainly kosher.
Here are the rules for Ontario:

"If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you want to keep driving in Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. You must use your Ontario licence when you are issued one. New Ontario residents have 30 days before they have to register their vehicles and get Ontario licence plates and vehicle permit."

Furthermore:"When you bring a vehicle into Canada you will, in most cases have to pay duty and taxes. For information on federal taxes, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency. Please note that the imported vehicles must meet all federal government requirements prior to registration. You may also be required to pay provincial Retail Sales Tax when the vehicle is registered in Ontario."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.htm

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/provi...licensing.html (for other provinces)

I know of people (Canadian residents) who were arrested by Canada Customs (and fitted with handcuffs) when they attempted to drive a US-registered car into Canada without declaring it. :scared: Obviously, your partner doesn't admit that she is a de facto resident of Canada, or she would be in trouble. So, she tells the US insurance co. that she resides in Canada, but tells Customs Canada that she is just visiting.

In addition, US insurance companies cannot legally sell car insurance to Ontario residents unless they are authorized by the province to do so, and out-of-province insurance companies simply don't have any such authorization.

Consider the case of a US serviceman posted to Labrador. His home address is Texas. He has a truck with Texas plates insured at his permanent address, in Texas. He is in Labrador for, say, three years and takes his truck, it still has Texas plates but needs insurance. What he does is to get the US insurer to endorse the insurance for use based in Labraddor.
The only legal authority to say who may or may not provide vehicle insurance in Ladrador is the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador - not some insurance company in Texas! The rules for Labrador would not be radically different from Ontario's:

http://www.gs.gov.nl.ca/gs/mr/locations.stm

Similarly, someone taking a degree course in Canada is a temporary resident for, usually, four years. If that person brings a car it needs insuring, they likely can't get insurance with a Canadian carrier so they get an endorsement from the US (or possibly other) insurer.
Nonsense, I already covered this in detail above.

Of course, if you are in Canada just temporarily (say on vacation) and not considered a resident, then you are covered by the US insurance company, just as Canadian residents are by their insurance company when they take their car into the US on vacation. These insurance rules can vary to some degree from province to province (and company to company).

Legal, common practise, nothing weird about it. No requirement for a local license if you're not resident. I don't even think a non-resident can get a local license.
If your partner is just merely visiting Canada (i.e. in Canada no more than 182 days per year), then I will agree with you. The whole problem is (back to my original point)...... she's a de facto resident if she's in Canada more than 182 days per year.

Does you car have Mexican plates ? Do you have a Mexican driving license ?
If not, aren't you in the same position when in Mexico, or, if so, aren't you in the same postion in Canada ?
I have BC plates on my car.... I have a BC driver's license. Before I drive into Mexico I have to have Mexican insurance. Canadian insurance (auto) companies only cover us in Canada and the US - not Mexico. We have to buy an additional policy just for Mexico.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 25th 2006 at 2:46 am.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Here are the rules for Ontario:

"If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you want to keep driving in Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. You must use your Ontario licence when you are issued one. New Ontario residents have 30 days before they have to register their vehicles and get Ontario licence plates and vehicle permit."

Furthermore:"When you bring a vehicle into Canada you will, in most cases have to pay duty and taxes. For information on federal taxes, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency. Please note that the imported vehicles must meet all federal government requirements prior to registration. You may also be required to pay provincial Retail Sales Tax when the vehicle is registered in Ontario."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.htm

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/provi...licensing.html (for other provinces)

I know of people (Canadian residents) who were arrested by Canada Customs (and fitted with handcuffs) when they attempted to drive a US-registered car into Canada without declaring it. :scared: Obviously, your partner doesn't admit that she is a de facto resident of Canada, or she would be in trouble. So, she tells the US insurance co. that she resides in Canada, but tells Customs Canada that she is just visiting.

In addition, US insurance companies cannot legally sell car insurance to Ontario residents unless they are authorized by the province to do so, and out-of-province insurance companies simply don't have any such authorization.

The only legal authority to say who may or may not provide vehicle insurance in Ladrador is the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador - not some insurance company in Texas! The rules for Labrador would not be radically different from Ontario's:

http://www.gs.gov.nl.ca/gs/mr/locations.stm

Nonsense, I already covered this in detail above.

Of course, if you are in Canada just temporarily (say on vacation) and not considered a resident, then you are covered by the US insurance company, just as Canadian residents are by their insurance company when they take their car into the US on vacation. These insurance rules can vary to some degree from province to province (and company to company).

If your partner is just merely visiting Canada (i.e. in Canada no more than 182 days per year), then I will agree with you. The whole problem is (back to my original point)...... she's a de facto resident if she's in Canada more than 182 days per year.

I have BC plates on my car.... I have a BC driver's license. Before I drive into Mexico I have to have Mexican insurance. Canadian insurance (auto) companies only cover us in Canada and the US - not Mexico. We have to buy an additional policy just for Mexico.

She's not legally resident in Ontario. She is in the same position as the thread poster, a long term visitor or temporary resident. The insurance company knows that. The import regulations for residents do not apply.

I assume that the US carriers are authorised by the governments of various provinces to write business there, so are other foreign carriers such as Zurich.
It's not rare for people to insure with US carriers, State Farm for example has a huge presence in Ontario.

I'm sorry you don't get this, but the original poster can legally bring a car, a computer, a cat, any sort of household good so long as it leaves when he or she does. Insurance for the car may be a bother, a local company may offer a "top up" policy such as you have or the carrier in the poster's home jurisdiction may be able to extend cover to here.

It's not difficult and doesn't entail a great deal of red tape, I don't know why you're being so Canadian about it.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

Just to point out, US cars are better, bring one if you can. They have switches for the lights and you don't have to keep converting numbers so as to know how fast you're going or how much petrol you're using.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Here's the 'legal' jargon on the subject; which also covers your temporary situation

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...rc4140-05e.pdf
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:25 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Calgal
Here's the 'legal' jargon on the subject; which also covers your temporary situation

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...rc4140-05e.pdf
According to that source, even temporary residents have to import their car - at least on a temporary basis.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

According to that source, even temporary residents have to import their car - at least on a temporary basis.
Yep - you're right! You can't just bring a vehicle into Canada (unless vacationing) without formally importing it one way or another; even on a Student/Work Permit.

The rules (and Vehicles permitted) vary depending on the situation; but there is form filling and fees to pay in any event.

From Ontario govt site: "Visitors to Ontario who are permanent residents of countries other than Canada may drive in Ontario with that license for up to one year, as long as they are in possession of a valid driver's licence and an international driver's permit A new resident of Ontario, such as a recently-landed business immigrant, may drive in Ontario for up to 60 days. That individual must have a valid driver's license from his/her jurisdiction. After 60 days, an Ontario driver's license is required".

I guess dbd hates the Element so much, he's half HOPING they'll seize it (if it's the US reg). Then again - maybe that's why they haven't
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:44 pm
mañana is my busiest day

She's not legally resident in Ontario. She is in the same position as the thread poster, a long term visitor or temporary resident. The insurance company knows that. The import regulations for residents do not apply.
You need to read this:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp.../rc4140-05e.pdf

Even temporary residents (eg. full-time students) need to import their vehicle - at least on a temporary basis - according to the source.

I assume that the US carriers are authorised by the governments of various provinces to write business there, so are other foreign carriers such as Zurich.
It's not rare for people to insure with US carriers, State Farm for example has a huge presence in Ontario.
You're muddying the water. If an insurance company has authorization to operate in Ontario, then it can sell insurance to Ontario residents - the location of the head office (or the name) is not relevant.

I'm sorry you don't get this, but the original poster can legally bring a car, a computer, a cat, any sort of household good so long as it leaves when he or she does. Insurance for the car may be a bother, a local company may offer a "top up" policy such as you have or the carrier in the poster's home jurisdiction may be able to extend cover to here.
Look, you're not doing the op any favour by suggesting that what your partner is doing is legal - it is not. Links to web sites with the proper information have already been provided. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the rules.

It's not difficult and doesn't entail a great deal of red tape, I don't know why you're being so Canadian about it.
I understand where you are coming from dbd33, I've dealt with your type too many times in business. What comes out of your mouth is whatever you think will leave as much money in your bank account as possible.... regardless of the facts.

Let's just hope your partner never gets into an accident .... she may end up not being covered.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jul 25th 2006 at 3:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.