Reload this Page >

Tell some thing of Alberta

Tell some thing of Alberta

Old Mar 22nd 2002, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

msms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tell some thing of Calgary/Alberta

Folks,

Please say some words about Alberta (Calgary )

1. Job situation

2. Job situation for Petroleum engineers ("engineer" goes without saying these days) with US work experience

3. Grocery expenses (average for 4 family members)

4. 2/3 bedrooms Apartment rates in OK locality

Apart from these feedbacks, all types of comments welcome

Thanks in advance

Come on guys say some thing

Last edited by msms; Mar 22nd 2002 at 11:53 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2002, 3:35 am
../..

Default Re: Tell some thing of Alberta

Try Edmonton, thats where I'm going. I've been told you dont pay tax and the winters
are mild with long hot summers.

"msms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Folks,
    >
    > Please say some words about Alberta (Calgary )
    >
    > 1. Job situation
    >
    > 2. Job situation for Petroleum engineers ("engineer" goes without saying these
    > days) with US work experience
    >
    > 3. Grocery expenses (average for 4 family members)
    >
    > 4. 2/3 bedrooms Apartment rates in OK locality
    >
    > Apart from these feedbacks, all types of comments welcome
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Come on guys say some thing
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 23rd 2002, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

If you look in geographical tables, Edmonton is way more colder than Calgary.

Look in Rand Mcannlly road map book.
Old Mar 23rd 2002, 1:35 pm
Alex

Hi although I live in Edmonton here is some info for you:

>
    > 1. Job situation
Pretty good comparing the rest of Canada (not that good for IT).
    >
    > 2. Job situation for Petroleum engineers ("engineer" goes without saying these
    > days) with US work experience

Not sure. I used to work in a relate field and it was much more activity (more
openings) in Calgary than in Edmonton
    >
    > 3. Grocery expenses (average for 4 family members)
We are 3 family members, we spend around CAD600/month
    >
    > 4. 2/3 bedrooms Apartment rates in OK locality
Check this sites: www.bwalk.com www.rentmidwest.com We are living in a nice
area close to the down town, and we are paying CAD690 for a 2 bedroom apartment
(low rise).
    >

About the weather it is much better in Calgary than in Edmonton always 5 degrees more
than in Edmonton. We still having +40 cmts. of snow outside. Today was the first day
in the month which nice temperature (-1 C). March was very cold, average -15 during
the afternoon. The cold weather started early in October. Is this a short winter for
you guys? Any way I love Edmonton, but I guess Calgary could be much better for you.

Good luck!

Alex

Old Mar 23rd 2002, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Alex, I appreciate your time.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:03 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msms
Thanks Alex, I appreciate your time.
we are serioulsy looking at calgary, the weather looks fine, the people look riendly and there is plenty of work for my trade, please let me know if you know any different stuart essex (carpenter- qualified) love my guiness draught!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:10 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

About the weather it is much better in Calgary than in Edmonton always 5 degrees more
than in Edmonton. We still having +40 cmts. of snow outside. Today was the first day
in the month which nice temperature (-1 C). March was very cold, average -15 during
the afternoon. The cold weather started early in October. Is this a short winter for
you guys? Any way I love Edmonton, but I guess Calgary could be much better for you.

Good luck!

Alex
On average, the weather during the summer is a tad warmer in Edmonton than in Calgary.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:11 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Regarding the job situation in Alberta check this site out:

http://www.ditpc.ca/calgary_qualify.htm
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:15 am
Just Joined

G Panusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Alberta offers low (provincial) income tax and no sales tax, and the province has a lower unemployment rate than most other provinces. However, Alberta is still heavily dependent on the oil industry (which is booming now). If oil prices ever drop as they did in the early 80's and 90's, then the Alberta economy suffers tremendously. Keep that in mind. If you have oilfield-related skills, you can't do better than Alberta at the moment.

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:40 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
On average, the weather during the summer is a tad warmer in Edmonton than in Calgary.
This is not a fact, but purely personal experience - I drove from Calgary to Edmonton in March 2003 for a hockey tournament.

The sun was shining when I left Calgary and it felt like a lovely spring day, so I wore a short sleeve shirt and short pants for the drive. When I got to Edmonton, the snow was still inches deep and the puddles had ice on them.

Edmonton is further from the rockies than Calgary, so doesn't experience the warming effect of the chinooks to the same degree.

A chinook wind will typically raise the temperature 10 to 20 degrees C, which can make quite a difference.

Don't believe the averages when you look at Alberta temperatures .... they ain't very accurate facts.

Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:54 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Tell some thing of Calgary/Alberta

Folks,

Please say some words about Alberta (Calgary )
I live in Calgary and work with Oil & Gas companies, so I assume I'm qualified to give my opinions.

1. Job situation
Depends on what you do - IT is tough to get into. Other professions may require you to recertify, what do you do?

2. Job situation for Petroleum engineers ("engineer" goes without saying these days) with US work experience
There's a lot of oil & gas companies here, many of them are US owned. Try contacting them directly.

3. Grocery expenses (average for 4 family members)
Probably $600/month.

4. 2/3 bedrooms Apartment rates in OK locality
It cost us $1,500 per month all inclusive for an apartment in the Olympic village, which was quite nice.

Weatherwise Calgary is unpredictable - similar to Edmonton, but with a random effect thrown in by the chinooks.

Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:10 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by G Panusa
Alberta offers low (provincial) income tax and no sales tax, and the province has a lower unemployment rate than most other provinces. However, Alberta is still heavily dependent on the oil industry (which is booming now). If oil prices ever drop as they did in the early 80's and 90's, then the Alberta economy suffers tremendously. Keep that in mind. If you have oilfield-related skills, you can't do better than Alberta at the moment.

Gianpaolo Panusa
Barrister and Solicitor
www.entercanada.ca
Alberta has no provincial sales tax, but it does have the 7% GST as I am sure that you are aware.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

This thread is over two years old. I would hope the OP has got his act together at this point.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:16 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tell some thing of Calgary/Alberta

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I live in Calgary and work with Oil & Gas companies, so I assume I'm qualified to give my opinions.

Depends on what you do - IT is tough to get into. Other professions may require you to recertify, what do you do?

There's a lot of oil & gas companies here, many of them are US owned. Try contacting them directly.

Probably $600/month.

It cost us $1,500 per month all inclusive for an apartment in the Olympic village, which was quite nice.

Weatherwise Calgary is unpredictable - similar to Edmonton, but with a random effect thrown in by the chinooks.

Do the 'chinooks' really make that much of a difference? I really don't fancy Ontario or BC even though I have family there. I think 'cold is cold' wherever you go. According to my cousin, all it does is 'piss down in BC' if I wanted rain believe me I could stay where I am. I could have a big house wherever we go and still be totally hacked off with the weather!!!! The standard of living is all I care about now and what is best for my 3 'ankle bighters!!
Regards Sam x
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:18 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
This thread is over two years old. I would hope the OP has got his act together at this point.
LOL! Thanks for pointing that out. Now I feel I've been had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.