Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TEKsystems - A good recruitment agency ?

TEKsystems - A good recruitment agency ?

Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

techwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant future
Question TEKsystems - A good recruitment agency ?

Hi all,

After reading some opinions about recruitment agencies on here, I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with a recruitment organization called TEKsystems ? According to the chap I spoke to on the phone, they are "the biggest recruitment solution provider in the Fraser Valley", and checking their web site, they have offices all the US.

I have an initial interview with them soon, but do not want to be messed around.

Any opinions and advice appreciated.

Thanks

GW
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TEKsystems - A good recruitment agency ?

Does it really matter, a recruitment agency is a recruitment agency. You will deal with hundreds of agencies, they deal with thousands of applicants.

A recruitment agency will never get you a job, they merely act as a mail box, forwarding your details on to employers waiting for the commission they get if they forward the winners CV on.

Please don't build your hopes up based on an agency wanting to speak to you, as Tom Jones said "It's not unusual", that's what they do. A lot of posters on here say that only a minute number of vacancies are filled via agencies, and networking is the key.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but it's based on experience.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:29 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

I have used them as a hiring manager and potential employee. They are fine but the fact that you're asking here makes me wonder what your concerns are. They are a legitimate organization so I don't think you'd have issues with them. They seem professional. Not much risk on your part.

Originally Posted by techwizard
Hi all,

After reading some opinions about recruitment agencies on here, I was wondering if anyone had any dealings with a recruitment organization called TEKsystems ? According to the chap I spoke to on the phone, they are "the biggest recruitment solution provider in the Fraser Valley", and checking their web site, they have offices all the US.

I have an initial interview with them soon, but do not want to be messed around.

Any opinions and advice appreciated.

Thanks

GW
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

techwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies.

The reason for the original question was that through this forum, I have heard stories that people are taken under the wing of agencies, but are not put forward for vacancies or they are strung along with promises of work.

Since posting, I have had a successful meeting with one of their reps and am hopeful that my first contract job will be sorted out at the beginning of next week.

GW

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
I have used them as a hiring manager and potential employee. They are fine but the fact that you're asking here makes me wonder what your concerns are. They are a legitimate organization so I don't think you'd have issues with them. They seem professional. Not much risk on your part.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:33 am
I'm not a Canadian Idiot!

Devilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really niceDevilish Dee is just really nice

Thanks for your replies.

The reason for the original question was that through this forum, I have heard stories that people are taken under the wing of agencies, but are not put forward for vacancies or they are strung along with promises of work.

Since posting, I have had a successful meeting with one of their reps and am hopeful that my first contract job will be sorted out at the beginning of next week.

GW
Good luck with your contract job, I have dealt with a few different agencies and have gotten some kind of work most times, you just have to know what you want and let them know that is what you are after

GOOD LUCK
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:57 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

GW
I hope so too and have everything crossed for you. Have you been interviewed for a specific role yet or just optimistic?

I've had less luck with agencies. I've always been in a high employment role and yet haven't worked for 6 months, now with nothing on the horizon, and facing the prospect of bankruptcy here if things don't change soon.

Despite being with a few, none of the agencies have come up with anything, and I've got mouths to feed here. I've followed the advice of some to adjust my cv to suit the work a bit (as I have a ton of experience and genuinely have other skills which may be more marketable). This took lots of time but the impression I get is that candidates have a 1 week shelf life. I keep in touch with them, but agents here fail to return calls which is very bad practice. I'm not singling any out as this seems to be the done thing here.

Again, good luck though.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi g,

I am hoping an interview will be organised for later this afternoon with the employer. The experience I have had with them so far has been positive.

Do not give up your own search, g. There is sure to be something out there for you.

If you don't mind me asking, what field are you in and where are you based ?

Regards

GW

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
I hope so too and have everything crossed for you. Have you been interviewed for a specific role yet or just optimistic?

I've had less luck with agencies. I've always been in a high employment role and yet haven't worked for 6 months, now with nothing on the horizon, and facing the prospect of bankruptcy here if things don't change soon.

Despite being with a few, none of the agencies have come up with anything, and I've got mouths to feed here. I've followed the advice of some to adjust my cv to suit the work a bit (as I have a ton of experience and genuinely have other skills which may be more marketable). This took lots of time but the impression I get is that candidates have a 1 week shelf life. I keep in touch with them, but agents here fail to return calls which is very bad practice. I'm not singling any out as this seems to be the done thing here.

Again, good luck though.