Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Teenagers new to Calgary

Teenagers new to Calgary

Old May 21st 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Teenagers new to Calgary

Hi there.We are settling into our new lifes really well.One thing thats bothering me though is my 15 year old son.
He cant start school till August beacuse they were nearly at the end of the year so he sits in the house every day on his own while we are at work.
He has no get up and go here he just lounges about on the play station or on msn to his mates in england.
He had a big group of mates there so he was never in the house and always had someone to knock about with.
The hardest thing at his age is finding kids with the same interests.He,s pretty set in his ways now and not really willing to change.
He loves Soccer,thats his main passion so we enrolled him in a local team.Thats great but hes only there twice a week.Ive told him to get some numbers from the other lads but he feels silly.
Most of the local kids here like different music to him hes more into dance and rap.
He would love to try hockey and mountain biking etc hes not that boring,he just needs someone who likes to get out the house and do something rather than sit in all week waiting for weekends.Or even if they go to eachothers houses like i said before and just hung out together.
I just wondered if anyone was in a similar situation who had a similar aged kid that liked soccer and going to each others house to watch a dvd or play a game etc.Then weekends do some sport or go to the movies,just general kids stuff.
He,ll kill me for writing this but im worried now that he,ll want to go home by the summer,i know i would if i was him.
Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Mandi moo xx
Old May 21st 2007, 7:11 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers new to Calgary

Does he have roller blades?
Ian quite often plays street hockey with his mates, (with or without skates I think)
Old May 21st 2007, 7:16 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teenagers new to Calgary

Hi .Have you thought about getting him a job. There are tons of student jobs about and the pay isnt too bad at all. Our local leisure center is always looking for students to help out with pool stuff and summer camps and they do train you as you work. Or he can check out the Zoo, Calaway Park, Heritage Park and all the local malls for summer jobs.
Im sure he will soon get an active social life and you might just end up moaning that you never see him.

Wellcome to calgary by the way.

Oh and just a thought can he have driving lesson's yet just something else to keep him occupied.

Mrs minihaha
Old May 21st 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Teenagers new to Calgary

I thought about gettin him a job but hes not allowed to on our work permit.He can once we have PR though.
I ve thought of gettin him a volunteer job or a cash job even,so im looking round at the minute.
I,ll ask him about the hockey Mo maybes that will get him out for a bit aswell and Ian can introduce him to more lads at the same time.

Thanks for the ideas though

Mandi