Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Canada (BC)

Teaching in Canada (BC)

Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

kd268 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Canada (BC)

I've posted this in the teaching forum but it doesn't look very active so i'm posting it here too.

Hello,

I wondered if anyone has moved from Scotland to Canada with a Primary Teaching degree and could tell me about their experience. I will be soon finishing my 4 year Bachelors degree in Primary Education and going into my probationary teaching year in Scotland in August. After that year I will be registered as a fully qualified teacher in Scotland and will have a years full time class teaching experience.

I was born in Canada and therefore have dual nationality and can move there without needing a visa. My partner has been offered an opportunity to work with a company in Vancouver and hopefully this will be long term (We are still in the process of finding out details) so he will have a work visa.

I have been looking at BC's teaching requirements and I think my experience and course will meet them all except a module on Canadian studies. I get the impression that I would hopefully be able to obtain an conditional teaching certificate which will last 60 months. I also understand if the take the modules required I can upgrade to a full certificate. Is this correct? Does anyone know how easily a Scottish degree is matched a Canadian one? My university does take a lot of Canadian students into the degree so I hope it is.

Also I know the job market is very difficult to get into and competitive however I'm not daunted by this. As a NQT I would face this in my own country and I'm not fazed about working supply of temporary contracts at the start. I have no need to hold a permanent job for a visa and my partner's job is in a good sector so he will be bringing in enough to support us both (though not lavishly)if need be.

Anyone who can answer any of my questions or has any experience to share would be very much appreciated
Old Nov 30th 2013, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

susieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant futuresusieh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Teaching in Canada (BC)

My husband's a high school teacher in BC and, although his original degree is from Scotland, his PGCE is from England (along with his teaching experience). He has a conditional certificate for 60 months and needs to complete a number of courses (including Canadian Studies) within that period to be eligible for a permanent certificate.

He also has to do some extra education courses I think and an English module too, but I have a vague recollection that teachers qualifying in Scotland may not need to do as many courses if they've completed a probationary year. Not 100% sure though. I presume you've been onto www.bcteacherregulation.ca which gives you all the info on applying.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 2:24 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Some provinces only look at the number of years of higher education that you have so four years only may not be enough. Most teachers here do a four year initial degree and then a two year BEd. My three year UK degree has been evaluated as equivalent to a Canadian degree but the provincial registrar refused to count it as four years. Only my MEd saved me from not being able to get a certificate at all.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 2:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kd268
I've posted this in the teaching forum but it doesn't look very active so i'm posting it here too.

Hello,

I wondered if anyone has moved from Scotland to Canada with a Primary Teaching degree and could tell me about their experience. I will be soon finishing my 4 year Bachelors degree in Primary Education and going into my probationary teaching year in Scotland in August. After that year I will be registered as a fully qualified teacher in Scotland and will have a years full time class teaching experience.

I was born in Canada and therefore have dual nationality and can move there without needing a visa. My partner has been offered an opportunity to work with a company in Vancouver and hopefully this will be long term (We are still in the process of finding out details) so he will have a work visa.

I have been looking at BC's teaching requirements and I think my experience and course will meet them all except a module on Canadian studies. I get the impression that I would hopefully be able to obtain an conditional teaching certificate which will last 60 months. I also understand if the take the modules required I can upgrade to a full certificate. Is this correct? Does anyone know how easily a Scottish degree is matched a Canadian one? My university does take a lot of Canadian students into the degree so I hope it is.

Also I know the job market is very difficult to get into and competitive however I'm not daunted by this. As a NQT I would face this in my own country and I'm not fazed about working supply of temporary contracts at the start. I have no need to hold a permanent job for a visa and my partner's job is in a good sector so he will be bringing in enough to support us both (though not lavishly)if need be.

Anyone who can answer any of my questions or has any experience to share would be very much appreciated
No they don't match up well. They (universities) take Canadian students in for mainly one reason only, foreign students bring in cash.

Well you should be, don't let that youthful enthusiasm lead you down an ego sodden path of despair. Unless your mum or aunt teaches in one of the districts here you've got little to no chance. Plus if you have a Scottish accent, they just won't take the chance.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Oink
No they don't match up well. They (universities) take Canadian students in for mainly one reason only, foreign students bring in cash.

Well you should be, don't let that youthful enthusiasm lead you down an ego sodden path of despair. Unless your mum or aunt teaches in one of the districts here you've got little to no chance. Plus if you have a Scottish accent, they just won't take the chance.
I wouldn't take the above comment to heart. I know a lot of teachers that were foreign trained and managed to successfully find work. It is tough at the moment but not impossible. There is still a shortage of learning support teachers. To get one of these positions would require some extra courses; but not a masters degree.

Good luck
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew
I wouldn't take the above comment to heart. I know a lot of teachers that were foreign trained and managed to successfully find work. It is tough at the moment but not impossible. There is still a shortage of learning support teachers. To get one of these positions would require some extra courses; but not a masters degree.

Good luck
Vancouver and the immediate districts? Hmmm.

Plus, she has little to no classroom experience and would be competing with locally churned out graduates who have had at least one year's practicum and if they're remotely good enough will have their sponsor teacher to provide a recommendation. We have a glut of local graduates and shortage of positions, why give the OP false hope?

Last edited by Oink; Dec 2nd 2013 at 9:22 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

craigb1878 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope it's not considered bad netiquette to bump a thread for my first post, but I too have a question about being a Brit and teaching in Canada.

My partner and I have been talking about moving over to Canada at some point. I teach in post-16 education (Film and Media studies) and plan to go on to do a PhD to teach in universities and she is a Librarian (MA) and would also like to get into the HE sector.

So here it is:

How much would a PhD cost me to do in Canada? Would there be any advantages in doing it and Canada opposed to England?

What are my chances of landing a job (in post-16 education) with just an MA?

What are the chances of my partner landing a job in (any) library services?

Thanks in advance,

craig
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
Some provinces only look at the number of years of higher education that you have so four years only may not be enough. Most teachers here do a four year initial degree and then a two year BEd. My three year UK degree has been evaluated as equivalent to a Canadian degree but the provincial registrar refused to count it as four years. Only my MEd saved me from not being able to get a certificate at all.

You can get into Teacher's College here with a three year degree, but having a four year degree is the norm (they only calculate your admissions average based on the last two years of your degree anyway).

Teacher's College can be one year or two, depending on where one attends.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by craigb1878
I hope it's not considered bad netiquette to bump a thread for my first post, but I too have a question about being a Brit and teaching in Canada.

My partner and I have been talking about moving over to Canada at some point. I teach in post-16 education (Film and Media studies) and plan to go on to do a PhD to teach in universities and she is a Librarian (MA) and would also like to get into the HE sector.

So here it is:

How much would a PhD cost me to do in Canada? Would there be any advantages in doing it and Canada opposed to England?

What are my chances of landing a job (in post-16 education) with just an MA?

What are the chances of my partner landing a job in (any) library services?

Thanks in advance,

craig
It depends on your field and how good you are. If you have to pay it yourself, probably around $10,000 a year tuition which is cheap, but also remember you're getting your degree from a Canadian university, so you better only want to work in Canada or again, be brilliant.

Probably slim. Although, again if you're any good, you might find a CC or junior college that might take you. Of course you'd make more money collecting cans from the street.

Can't help you with your wife's situation.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

craigb1878 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks man. Food for thought and all that.

Appreciated.