Taxes

Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice
Default Taxes

Hi all!

I was just wondering about the tax thing now that we are here. When does the tax year go from and to - is it January 1st to December 31st? Does everyone have to file taxes or is it just the self employed?

I started my job on 10th December so only had two pay cheques before the end of the year - is there anything I need to do?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but as it's all so very new I would like to be able to understand it all.

Thanks in advance.

Zoe M. x
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:02 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes

Originally Posted by zmartin
When does the tax year go from and to - is it January 1st to December 31st?
Yes.

Does everyone have to file taxes ... ?
Yes.

I started my job on 10th December so only had two pay cheques before the end of the year - is there anything I need to do?
Yes, you need to file an income tax return by April 30th, 2008.

You'll find it helpful to read the Wiki on Taxation.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:26 am
Just Joined

essexgirlno1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxes

Originally Posted by zmartin
Hi all!

I was just wondering about the tax thing now that we are here. When does the tax year go from and to - is it January 1st to December 31st? Does everyone have to file taxes or is it just the self employed?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered but as it's all so very new I would like to be able to understand it all.

Thanks in advance.

Zoe M. x
Hi and welcome to Canada,
You will have to file a tax return most definately.
Did you spend any gas getting to work? Do you get any home calls for your service?
If you have a spouse, he /she will also have to send in a tax return to claim benefits like CCTB, you will have to send in a tax return form even if your total is zero.
Are you self employed?
It isn't quite so straight forward.
It looks like I am a 'newbie' on this website but I have been on here for the past 4+ years, I got seriously so fed up with the comments that people were making that I cancelled my subscription.
I originally came on this website to help me and my hubby get over to Canada, we have achieved out goals and we are now permanent resisdents.
Now I want to help others.
We came over on a work permit, let me know if our experience can help you out.