Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax return on a work permit

Tax return on a work permit

Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

torontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nice
Red face Tax return on a work permit

Hello all,

Long time no post. My wife and I are on a 3 year work permit. We've been in Canada a little over 2 years. Last year was our first tax return and H&R block filed us as 'deemed resident' and we got a reasonable sum back. This year they insisted on filing us as 'resident' stating that we've been here long enough to be paying as residents and the return is very little. However, that's besides the point. We want to make sure we're filing the right return regardless of the amount.

Does anyone know if we should be filing as 'deemed resident' or 'resident' ?

Cheers!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return on a work permit

Originally Posted by torontopaddy
Hello all,

Long time no post. My wife and I are on a 3 year work permit. We've been in Canada a little over 2 years. Last year was our first tax return and H&R block filed us as 'deemed resident' and we got a reasonable sum back. This year they insisted on filing us as 'resident' stating that we've been here long enough to be paying as residents and the return is very little. However, that's besides the point. We want to make sure we're filing the right return regardless of the amount.

Cheers!
Resident. And ditch H&R Block. Buy Quicktax or equivalent and do it yourself.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

torontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nicetorontopaddy is just really nice

Cheers - I suspected as much.

Also yes - I agree re H&R Block, we're just super busy and went to them. It cost and arm and a leg!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers - I suspected as much.

Also yes - I agree re H&R Block, we're just super busy and went to them. It cost and arm and a leg!
They were wrong as well. You were factual residents for tax purposes from the moment you arrived on your work permit. I hope you didn't report any income before you arrived in Canada.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

johnmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Cheers!
Hi Torontopaddy
Am i led to believe to are worrking for H&R i would be greatful for any info you could give to a very confused Irishman here ,and good luck with those taxes another headache for to contend with if we get there.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

I agree - ditch H&R and do it yourself - Quicktax is the way to go!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnmc
Hi Torontopaddy
Am i led to believe to are worrking for H&R i would be greatful for any info you could give to a very confused Irishman here ,and good luck with those taxes another headache for to contend with if we get there.
Hi John, no - I don't work for H&R Block, I just happened to use them for my first ever tax return last year and again this year.

If this is your first ever tax return, I would suggest that you get some help with it.