Tax Return

Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of
Default Tax Return

Hey - I completed and submitted online my UK self-assessment in January of this year for the April 2011/12 tax year. I moved to Canada in April 2011 so this was my first self assessment and mainly dealt with the income I get from my rental property.

Today I got a letter from tax office asking me to complete a self assessment for the previous year, starting April 2010. It states to avoid penalty I need to submit paper copies by October 2010 or online by January 2011 OR within three months of this notice date.

Now firstly to be pedantic the Date field (date of the notice) has been left blank. Secondly is this normal? I lived in UK that year fully, was not self-employed and all tax was submitted through PAYEE. Can they force you to submit self-assessment from any year they want or is there a time limit?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return

I see no-one has answered this.

Send a PM to JonboyE - am sure he has missed this post but he always answers PMs
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:13 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

No need for a PM. If HMRC ask you to file a self-assessment return you are obligated to do so.

Otherwise follow the link http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm "if you don't think you need a tax return."
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No need for a PM. If HMRC ask you to file a self-assessment return you are obligated to do so.

Otherwise follow the link http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm "if you don't think you need a tax return."
Bit slow for you today JohnboyE. Anyone would think you had a life outside the site
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of April I don't have a life.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Cheers JohnboyE - worth a shot.
Old May 7th 2013, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

pbut is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if anyone will be able to answer my query re: HMRC.

I completed my tax return for 2012-2013 the week before I came out to Canada. I had a message through from them a few days later saying i'm due a refund payment.

So I'm now out in Canada, and I have sent a request 3 times now for hmrc to send this refund to my hsbc account. 3 times it has not gone through and a couple of days after asking for the refund to be sent, I get the same page coming up on my hmrc account saying 'You are due a refund payment, see below to send to your account' etc etc.

Whats the crack here?
Its not a huge amount but its enough to put a nice amount to buying a vehicle out here and I would like it very much.

I have now this evening tried sending to one of my other accounts. Even got my GF who is in the UK to log into hmrc and try sending to my account, nope still a fail.

Any ideas?
Old May 7th 2013, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sunryder is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be very careful, there are stacks of scam artists around doing the HMRC Refund thing. At work I get at least 3 messages a month supposidly from HMRC telling us we are due a refund and to send our bank details through. They are just scams. I know its a pain, but I would phone HMRC just to check this.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunryder
I would be very careful, there are stacks of scam artists around doing the HMRC Refund thing. At work I get at least 3 messages a month supposidly from HMRC telling us we are due a refund and to send our bank details through. They are just scams. I know its a pain, but I would phone HMRC just to check this.
This doesn't apply in this case as the OP stated " ..I get the same page coming up on my hmrc account saying 'You are due a refund payment'.. "

Old May 7th 2013, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

pbut is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah this is actually on my hmrc account. Dont think ive ever received an email off them, scam or otherwise. Must be a good sign! Lol