Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax question (wait, come back!)

Tax question (wait, come back!)

Old Apr 8th 2014, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Skanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tax question (wait, come back!)

Quick tax question to which I'm sure many of you will immediately know the answer.
  • Moved to Vancouver in August 2011
  • Still own a property, which was our primary residence, in the UK
  • Thinking of selling the propoerty and moving the funds to Canada, to purchase here, as we now have our PR.

What are the tax implications here? I (would like to) assume as UK/Canada have a double tax treaty, it's NOT CGT-able on the profit made since we landed here? Does Canada, and specifically BC, recognise that the UK home was/is my primary residence, even if it's a) in the UK and b) we haven't lived there since August 2011?

Any help gratefully received.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question (wait, come back!)

Originally Posted by Skanaoya
Quick tax question to which I'm sure many of you will immediately know the answer.
  • Moved to Vancouver in August 2011
  • Still own a property, which was our primary residence, in the UK
  • Thinking of selling the propoerty and moving the funds to Canada, to purchase here, as we now have our PR.
What are the tax implications here? I (would like to) assume as UK/Canada have a double tax treaty, it's NOT CGT-able on the profit made since we landed here? Does Canada, and specifically BC, recognise that the UK home was/is my primary residence, even if it's a) in the UK and b) we haven't lived there since August 2011?

Any help gratefully received.
Too late for claiming primary residence now after being here 3 years. So long as you have valuations from the day you became tax resident and have filed a T1135 for 2012 and 2013, not too many complications. Your tax libility will be for CGT in Canada on the difference in value between the day you became tax resident to the day you sell it. Both in CAD$. The bank of Canada rate can be used for conversion. If you delay bringing the funds over, any increase in CAD$ due to the FX is also a capital gain.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Skanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of lightSkanaoya is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Aviator.

We haven't been here quite 3 years yet - just over 2 and a half years. That being the case, and if we can sell before we hit the 3 years, are we clear of any tax?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:11 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Aviator.

We haven't been here quite 3 years yet - just over 2 and a half years. That being the case, and if we can sell before we hit the 3 years, are we clear of any tax?
No, you are resident here, or at least, thats how CRA will see it.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:31 pm
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Can only speak of my own experiences. This may or may not have been legal.

Left UK in 2008. Let a friend "rent" my house there - they paid the mortgage and upkeep. Got my Canadian PR a few years later. Sold my house in the UK. No CGT. Transferred the money to Canada. No CGT. Bought a house here.

I had always listed in my tax returns that I own foreign property over $100k. Somewhere on something I notified that the property was now sold. Haven't ever been asked any questions. *shrug*
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:42 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Can only speak of my own experiences. This may or may not have been legal.

Left UK in 2008. Let a friend "rent" my house there - they paid the mortgage and upkeep. Got my Canadian PR a few years later. Sold my house in the UK. No CGT. Transferred the money to Canada. No CGT. Bought a house here.

I had always listed in my tax returns that I own foreign property over $100k. Somewhere on something I notified that the property was now sold. Haven't ever been asked any questions. *shrug*
If you made a gain in the sale of the property and/or the foreign exchange you had (still have) and obligation to report this and pay any tax due. Canadian tax system relies on peoples honesty (and a tax investigation office). If you get an audit or dobbed in,, you could end up with a hefty tax bill, penalties and interest. CRA usually only go back around 3 years, sometimes up to 7. If they suspect fraud, they can go back as long as they like. Once you get a tax bill, it is up to you to prove you don't owe it, not for CRA to prove you do.

You may want to seek professional advice, hope you don't get found out, or that you owed no tax.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What are the tax implications here? I (would like to) assume as UK/Canada have a double tax treaty, it's NOT CGT-able on the profit made since we landed here?
Because it's real property it's actually taxable in both countries. I.e. capital gains tax in the UK and capital gains tax in Canada and you claim a foreign tax credit on T2209. The UK though didn't until recently start charging CGT on houses for non-residents, I seem to recall you had to be out of the country for five years before they gave up on it though.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

fitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud offitchmeister has much to be proud of

Hi - We have a house rented out in the UK. Our primary residence is our Canadian house & we declare the income to both UK & CRA - only CRA takes the tax. UK & CRA have a double taxation agreement. I believe that as a non resident British citizen you are no longer liable to pay UK CGT after 5 years of non residency but liable for CRA CGT. CRA CGT is a lot less.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

About to change in next tax year though. Then non residents will be liable for CGT on UK property, even after 5 years out of the UK. You will need to value your property at the start if next tax year and this will be the base price for any CGT calculation for a subsequent sale.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Too late for claiming primary residence now after being here 3 years.
Aviator, can you please elaborate on this?
Old May 7th 2014, 4:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Aviator, can you please elaborate on this?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/property/sell-own-home.htm