Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax (Newfoundland)

Tax (Newfoundland)

Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax (Newfoundland)

Hiya - I have a question, I have tried and failed a number of times to get this answer, on the Revenue Canada web site, so.....

I'm pretty sure that there are many things you can claim/get a tax break on, things like buying perscription drugs and activities for your kids etc... but is there a list of allowences so I can perhaps budget what my refund might be??

I know this might be a difficult question, and I was looking for (and failed) for something like this:

Kids activities: $2,487
Drugs: $1,826

etc...

Hope you can help and hope it's not a stupid question?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:12 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax (Newfoundland)

Medical tax credit. This is a non-refundable tax credit = to 15% of the extent that medical expenses exceed $2,011 or 3% of the taxpayer's net income. You can claim the medical expenses of yourself, spouse and dependents so it is usually better for the spouse with the lower income to claim - as long as they have some taxable income.

For NL the credit is at 7.7% on medical expenses above $1,706 or 3% of net income.

There is a child fitness tax credit. This is 15% of up to $500 per child for qualifying courses or activities. I don't think there is a provincial equivalent in Nl so the maximum credit is .15 X 500 = $75.00.

If the activity qualifies as child care (looking after the kids while both parents work) the you can deduct the cost, up to $7,000 per child, from the income of the lowest earning parent.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thanks for that, much appreciated.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

We were able to get something back for the kids activities last year but it wasnt very much - I dont think it even covered her Paradise soccer , which is the cheapest of her activities
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I think most of my refund will be based on the things I buy, which I can claim against work and what I do, I guess anything is better than nothing and it makes me smaile that these things are even offered. In the UK, in my whole life, I only ever got 1 tax refund, was for about £200.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Checklist for Childrens fitness for the maximum $500

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whtsnw/chcklst-eng.html
Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
I think most of my refund will be based on the things I buy, which I can claim against work and what I do, I guess anything is better than nothing and it makes me smaile that these things are even offered. In the UK, in my whole life, I only ever got 1 tax refund, was for about £200.

Generally between us we get an average of about 5k back - A good lump of that is due to the hefty daycare expenses we have , we are a couple of K over the maximum claimable for 2 kids