Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax Implications for PR returning to the UK

Tax Implications for PR returning to the UK

Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice
Default Tax Implications for PR returning to the UK

Hi - I'm planning on acivating PR in a few weeks and then returning to the UK to tie up the loose ends etc....

My question is are there any tax implications in Canada if the value of my assetts held in the UK rise during this period due to exchange rate / stock market fluctuations, I will be paying tax in the UK during this time.

Many thanks,

Stuart.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Implications for PR returning to the UK

No. There are no tax implications if you just visit Canada to activate your PR and have a short vacation. Resident for immigration purposes is not necessarily the same as resident for tax purposes. The tax implications start when you move here to live.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No. There are no tax implications if you just visit Canada to activate your PR and have a short vacation. Resident for immigration purposes is not necessarily the same as resident for tax purposes. The tax implications start when you move here to live.
Superb, thank-you very much, that's one less thing to worry about!!
Old May 11th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi - another question, If I move to Canada permanently in July (leaving my cash assets in the UK) and then exchange my funds from £ to $ in September, are there any tax implications I should be aware of?

Thanks.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
Hi - another question, If I move to Canada permanently in July (leaving my cash assets in the UK) and then exchange my funds from £ to $ in September, are there any tax implications I should be aware of?

Thanks.
I think so but JBE will know for sure. I think the day you become tax resident your assets get virtually converted to dollars and any gain from there is taxable.

in other words if the exchange rate rises signficantly between your residency date and when you bring cash over you get taxed on the difference. Of course having the exchange rate rise would be a bonus.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

What's the rate of tax (in Alberta), is it the 5% that would be applicable in this instance?

Thanks.
Old May 11th 2011, 3:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

gryphea is correct.

the tax rates are here ... http://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/ab.htm

Foreign exchange gains are taxed as capital gains.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

gryphea is correct.

the tax rates are here ... http://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/ab.htm

Foreign exchange gains are taxed as capital gains.
I've recently wondered about savings accounts.

If I earn UK interest, however the exchange rate has moved such that it's a CAD loss - what happens? I've been assuming that there is no need to pay tax as I've been treating the savings account like any other investment and only the CAD value gain is taxable. But I'm not sure this is correct ... if it isn't I hope I don't get audited
Old May 11th 2011, 5:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I've recently wondered about savings accounts.

If I earn UK interest, however the exchange rate has moved such that it's a CAD loss - what happens? I've been assuming that there is no need to pay tax as I've been treating the savings account like any other investment and only the CAD value gain is taxable. But I'm not sure this is correct ... if it isn't I hope I don't get audited
Interest is taxable in the year it is earned. You would convert £ to $ using the annual average rate. Foreign exchange gains or losses are taxable in the year they are realized. Not declaring interest income because the overall value of your investment has fallen in $ terms is not correct.

It can lead to an anomaly:

01/01/x1 - buy a £10,000 5% certificate of deposit and pay $18,000.
12/31/x1 - receive £500 in interest. Average rate of 1.75 so add $875 to taxable income in Canada.
01/01/x2 - roll over certificate of deposit
12/31/x2 - receive £525 in interest. Average rate of 1.65 so add $866.25 to taxable income in Canada.
12/31/x2 - cash in certificate and receive £11,025. Exchange this to $ at 1.6 and receive $17,640.

You have been taxed on $1,741.25 of interest even though you effectively did not receive it. To rub salt into the wounds, the FX loss is a capital loss and cannot be deducted from other income - only capital gains. If you don't have any taxable capital gains you are stuffed.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Interest is taxable in the year it is earned. You would convert £ to $ using the annual average rate. Foreign exchange gains or losses are taxable in the year they are realized. Not declaring interest income because the overall value of your investment has fallen in $ terms is not correct.

It can lead to an anomaly:

01/01/x1 - buy a £10,000 5% certificate of deposit and pay $18,000.
12/31/x1 - receive £500 in interest. Average rate of 1.75 so add $875 to taxable income in Canada.
01/01/x2 - roll over certificate of deposit
12/31/x2 - receive £525 in interest. Average rate of 1.65 so add $866.25 to taxable income in Canada.
12/31/x2 - cash in certificate and receive £11,025. Exchange this to $ at 1.6 and receive $17,640.

You have been taxed on $1,741.25 of interest even though you effectively did not receive it. To rub salt into the wounds, the FX loss is a capital loss and cannot be deducted from other income - only capital gains. If you don't have any taxable capital gains you are stuffed.
Well, it seems I am guilty of tax evasion. In my defense the amounts are small (cos I don't have a large sum of GBP and interest rates are crap). I probably owe the government $25 or something.