Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tax - house & employment

Tax - house & employment

Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice
Default Tax - house & employment

Hi, Can you please help with some information or direct me to where I might find out about the following 2 things.

1) How is the cost of annual tax worked out on your property? and is it the same formula across Canada or is it Provincial? I have been told that this is based on the value of your property and will fluctuate with the value, is this correct?

2) What are the tax brackets for employment, ie, do you pay different percentages of tax the more you earn? Again, is this formula applied across the Country or differ Provincially.

Many thanks for any help you can give
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax - house & employment

Originally Posted by bex1
Hi, Can you please help with some information or direct me to where I might find out about the following 2 things.

1) How is the cost of annual tax worked out on your property? and is it the same formula across Canada or is it Provincial? I have been told that this is based on the value of your property and will fluctuate with the value, is this correct? Property tax is Municipal not Federal or Provincial so it will depand on which Municipality you are living in. Most property listings will declare how much property tax they paid in the previous year or ask your Realtor to get you a copy of the tax. There is an assessment, usually done by some computer program somewhere that will generate a value for your property and you pay tax based on this amount. There is a process to dispute the assessment but you will need to provide them with the evidence of value to contest this.

2) What are the tax brackets for employment, ie, do you pay different percentages of tax the more you earn? Again, is this formula applied across the Country or differ Provincially. Yes and no....depends on what your employment status is, check out the 'key information' box on the middle right.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Many thanks for any help you can give
Hope that this helps
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

1) How is the cost of annual tax worked out on your property? and is it the same formula across Canada or is it Provincial? I have been told that this is based on the value of your property and will fluctuate with the value, is this correct?
It is administered provincially. In BC the property for 2010 is assessed at its market value on July 1, 2009. The actual amount of the tax you pay depends on the municipality. If two houses are assesses at $300,000 and $400,000 and the municipality needs $6,000 the first house pays 6,000/(300,000+400,000)*300,000 = $2,571 and the second house pays 6,000/(300,000+400,000)*400,000 = $3,429.

2) What are the tax brackets for employment, ie, do you pay different percentages of tax the more you earn? Again, is this formula applied across the Country or differ Provincially.
It is a combination of federal and provincial rates. Your best bet is to look here http://www.taxtips.ca/marginaltaxrates.htm
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Thank you guys, those links are really helpful, especially on the personal tax issue. Didn't realise it could vary so much, we are considering Calgary or Ottawa, interesting Alberta has a fixed 10% provincial tax.

So guessing that with the property tax it factors in what amenities need upkeeping around you, like schools etc, is this right - does this have an effect on the tax you pay?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is administered provincially. In BC the property for 2010 is assessed at its market value on July 1, 2009. The actual amount of the tax you pay depends on the municipality. If two houses are assesses at $300,000 and $400,000 and the municipality needs $6,000 the first house pays 6,000/(300,000+400,000)*300,000 = $2,571 and the second house pays 6,000/(300,000+400,000)*400,000 = $3,429.
One wonders though why a municipality with only two houses would need so much.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:00 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

So guessing that with the property tax it factors in what amenities need upkeeping around you, like schools etc, is this right - does this have an effect on the tax you pay?
It also matters whether you're located within city limits or not. Outside of city limits you have a reduced range of services (ie no garbage collection, or municipal water supply for example), therefore the tax rates are adjusted down accordingly. I moved from a property that was in city limits to one that's 2kms outside and my tax halved. This is balanced out somewhat by increased property insurance costs as the house is no longer considered covered by city fire services.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:33 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe property tax is a provincial government matter, but rather your local municipality, either city or rural municipality.

At least thats the case in MB.

Property Transfer taxes tend to be provincial.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I don't believe property tax is a provincial government matter, but rather your local municipality, either city or rural municipality.
In BC the assessments are made by a provincial body. The tax is raised by the municipality.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
One wonders though why a municipality with only two houses would need so much.
A fact finding trip to somewhere nice and warm costs $6,000 regardless of the number of houses in the municipality.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor

At least thats the case in MB.

Property Transfer taxes tend to be provincial.
In Ontario, and I believe everywhere else, the Property Evaluation Assessment is done provincially.

Municipalities set their local mill rate which determines what percentage of the valuation you pay annually. Around here it's about 1%.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:14 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In BC the assessments are made by a provincial body. The tax is raised by the municipality.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In Ontario, and I believe everywhere else, the Property Evaluation Assessment is done provincially.

Municipalities set their local mill rate which determines what percentage of the valuation you pay annually. Around here it's about 1%.
So it is the Municipality that actually sets the tax rate, the provincial department only values the home for tax purposes, but does not it self impose property tax, which is done locally.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

All you ever wanted to know about assesments can be found here...these are the people that do the dirty job....

http://www.mpac.ca/
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by iaink
All you ever wanted to know about assesments can be found here...these are the people that do the dirty job....

http://www.mpac.ca/
Or these ...

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Property taxes can change year to year. If you do any alterations on the property and get permits (like you are supposed to), the value will be reassessed by BC assessment.

These are the guys who set the value http://www.bcassessment.bc.ca/