Tax free year

Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:33 am
Account Closed

eyeoftheocean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax free year

Is it true once you become a PR you DO NOTpay taxes for 1 year ?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:01 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax free year

Hi

Originally Posted by eyeoftheocean
Don't you wish.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Don't you wish.

Yes LOL , However, A guy at work whos just become a PR from UK did tell me he's pretty certain of it He says CIC dont tell you this stuff , you have to search their site.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if this is what eyeoftheocean has heard about? I know little about tax, but was sent this, written by Canadian Immigration Attorney David Cohen. Obviously realted to assets retained in UK. I thought I'd share in case some of our tax-experienced posters could expand?

Immigration Trust: A five year tax holiday for new Canadian immigrants

Canada’s Income Tax Act allows new immigrants to Canada to benefit from a five year ‘tax holiday’ upon their arrival, which is particularly beneficial to individuals moving to Canada who have a high net worth and retain assets outside of Canada.

Newcomers to Canada are normally subject to Canadian income taxes on their worldwide income upon their arrival. However, certain provisions in the Act allow for the creation of what is known as an “immigration trust.” This trust holds the newcomer’s foreign investment assets. If properly-structured, any foreign earned income and capital gains earned from the assets held in this trust are exempt from taxation.

It is possible for immigrants to set up an immigration trust and to transfer their foreign assets to that trust before arriving in Canada. As an example, take an individual who plans to reside in Canada and who owns property that generates rental income in his or her country of origin. This individual can then establish an offshore Immigration Trust and transfer the property to that trust. The income earned from the rental of this property will not be taxable by Canadian authorities for a period of sixty months, or five years, from the date the individual becomes a resident of Canada.

Because of this five-year tax holiday, it is possible for an immigrant to acquire Canadian citizenship in just three years, and then choose to become a non-resident for Canadian tax purposes. In this manner, it is possible for foreign earned income and capital gains to never at any point fall into the Canadian tax net.

source: from http://www.cicnews.com/2010/02/immig...nts-02764.html
Old Feb 12th 2011, 4:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration trusts (and the similar Inbound Granny Trusts) certainly work. However, they have to be set up and administered properly. You will need a fund of several million dollars for the tax savings to exceed the legal fees.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 4:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 4:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Immigration trusts (and the similar Inbound Granny Trusts) certainly work. However, they have to be set up and administered properly. You will need a fund of several million dollars for the tax savings to exceed the legal fees.
I'd say this means the rules are too complicated.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

I am tempted to say they are not complicated enough. Like the non-domiciled rules in the UK, this is a mechanism for the super rich to enjoy the benefits of residence and/or citizenship without contributing their share of taxes.

Both governments seem to think there are good public policy reasons for this and I dare say there are. I can't say it seems right to me.

Interestingly (at least to me) there has been a recent case in the Tax Court of Canada (upheld by the Federal Court of Appeal). This seems to have changed the definition of a non-resident trust from one where "the majority of the trustees are non-resident" to one where the "active control" of the trust is outside Canada.

In future, hiring a bunch of high priced lawyers in the Cayman Islands as trustees may not do the job, unless you genuinely give up control of the money to the lawyers.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am tempted to say they are not complicated enough. Like the non-domiciled rules in the UK, this is a mechanism for the super rich to enjoy the benefits of residence and/or citizenship without contributing their share of taxes.

Both governments seem to think there are good public policy reasons for this and I dare say there are. I can't say it seems right to me.

Interestingly (at least to me) there has been a recent case in the Tax Court of Canada (upheld by the Federal Court of Appeal). This seems to have changed the definition of a non-resident trust from one where "the majority of the trustees are non-resident" to one where the "active control" of the trust is outside Canada.

In future, hiring a bunch of high priced lawyers in the Cayman Islands as trustees may not do the job, unless you genuinely give up control of the money to the lawyers.
My view is that if its not illegal, it should not be so complicated as to exclude those who can't afford expensive lawyers and accountants. I guess they think that if they don't have rules that the rich can navigate around they won't get any of their cash rather than a little bit. Still it just means that the rest of us are paying disproportionately again... sigh.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
My view is that if its not illegal, it should not be so complicated as to exclude those who can't afford expensive lawyers and accountants.
This doesn't make sense if the intent of the law is to benefit those who can afford expensive lawyers and accountants or, perhaps, to benefit those expensive lawyers. It seems improbable to me that a tax law would be framed to benefit the public at large, someone drives the creation of such laws and it certainly isn't the disinterested unwashed.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on what time of year you move it can end up close to tax free. If you get a refund in the UK on PAYE and then when in Canada if you don't earn enough to pay tax you can get a refund.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
This doesn't make sense if the intent of the law is to benefit those who can afford expensive lawyers and accountants or, perhaps, to benefit those expensive lawyers. It seems improbable to me that a tax law would be framed to benefit the public at large, someone drives the creation of such laws and it certainly isn't the disinterested unwashed.
I make no statement about the intent of the law; just the morality of it.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

OK , slightly confused by all of this

What about if you open your own buisness like in the UK , are you eligible for tax free then ?

This is an interesting topic , am learning with each post the law on tax free newbies.

Last edited by eyeoftheocean; Feb 12th 2011 at 10:53 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:32 pm

OK , slightly confused by all of this

What about if you open your own buisness like in the UK , are you eligible for tax free then ?

This is an interesting topic , am learning with each post the law on tax free newbies.
Canada taxes income earned abroad. You aren't going to avoid paying tax that way.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about tax other than to say there isn't a loophole for the masses to get away without paying at least some tax in Canada.

If you earn money here you pay tax on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.