Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

tax free shopping on Gadgets

tax free shopping on Gadgets

Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

busycouple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax free shopping on Gadgets

In the UK our relatives come from Canada and U.S regularly and buy lots of clothes here and then at the airport claim the tax back for the items before flying out.

Are people from the UK allowed to do this while in Canada or the U.S?

I will be on a trip down there shortly and want to bring back some gadgets like the Nook color and wondered if they offer a service like that, as any tax free shopping would be good.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax free shopping on Gadgets

Originally Posted by busycouple
In the UK our relatives come from Canada and U.S regularly and buy lots of clothes here and then at the airport claim the tax back for the items before flying out.

Are people from the UK allowed to do this while in Canada or the U.S?

I will be on a trip down there shortly and want to bring back some gadgets like the Nook color and wondered if they offer a service like that, as any tax free shopping would be good.
VAT rebates are for visitors not residents and goods for being permanently exported. You cannot do this for gifts you are taken overseas either.

Canada used to do GST rebates for visitors, that has now been scrapped.

Go to tax free states in the US (none in Canada), however you may have to pay tax and duty coming into the UK.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, any idea which U.S states are tax free?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Oregon
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
Oregon
Montana, Alaska and Delaware.

New Hampshire is tax free except for prepared foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_t...#Summary_table

Although not tax free, Washington State will waive the sales taxes for Canadians on goods purchased for use outside the state.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Although not tax free, Washington State will waive the sales taxes for Canadians on goods purchased for use outside the state.
Not everyone, only residents of Canadian provinces and US states that don't have provincial sales tax. You also have to show a drivers licence to get the tax exempt purchase. When HST came into BC, WA got a court injunction so they could keep charging state tax to BC residents.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:47 pm

Not everyone, only residents of Canadian provinces and US states that don't have provincial sales tax. You also have to show a drivers licence to get the tax exempt purchase. When HST came into BC, WA got a court injunction so they could keep charging state tax to BC residents.
I see on further reading it's states or provinces with sales taxes of less than 3%, sort limits it to just Albertans as far as Canada goes.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:50 pm

I see on further reading it's states or provinces with sales taxes of less than 3%, sort limits it to just Albertans as far as Canada goes.
That's new, so they are trying to screw Canadians yet again.

Still have to shop in the US though, as it seems manufacturers are also trying to screw Canadians. I get a lot of my photo stuff shipped in from NY, so no tax, bring it over the border myself and save a bundle. Some of it is half or less than CDN prices, just have to pay HST. My latest shipment saved close to $300 on CDN prices.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:52 pm

That's new, so they are trying to screw Canadians yet again.

Still have to shop in the US though, as it seems manufacturers are also trying to screw Canadians. I get a lot of my photo stuff shipped in from NY, so no tax, bring it over the border myself and save a bundle. Some of it is half or less than CDN prices, just have to pay HST. My latest shipment saved close to $300 on CDN prices.
Do you shop at B&H Photo?

I've seen pictures of their store and would love to go just to see it.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:40 pm

Do you shop at B&H Photo?

I've seen pictures of their store and would love to go just to see it.
Yes. They are excellent and the prices and service are very good. BH sell more photo gear out of one store than is sold in Canada combined. I think I paid $8 shipping on my last order, many items are shipped free to US addresses, I use one in Sumas. It is important to get the commodity codes sorted beforehand to do the import, as most items are duty free and lenses 2% duty, otherwise you end up paying duty. Just have to pay the HST at point of import.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

As a UK passport holder, but resident of Canada, does anyone know if I could do this on a trip home?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by wolstie
As a UK passport holder, but resident of Canada, does anyone know if I could do this on a trip home?
If you live outside of the UK, can prove it and it is a permanent export you can.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

So should I buy my items in the U.S or Canada in that case? Was thinking about getting a quad core tablet when it comes out and the new iphone or goodle version when they come out.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:37 pm

So should I buy my items in the U.S or Canada in that case? Was thinking about getting a quad core tablet when it comes out and the new iphone or goodle version when they come out.
If you buy in the US, then leave the US you are still tax exempt. If you buy in the US then come back into Canada, you will be charged taxes and duty on entry to Canada. You may still be liable for any taxes and duty on entering the UK if you exceed your exempt status.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

If you buy in the US, then leave the US you are still tax exempt. If you buy in the US then come back into Canada, you will be charged taxes and duty on entry to Canada. You may still be liable for any taxes and duty on entering the UK if you exceed your exempt status.
I will be going to the U.S and Canada and then coming back to the UK. So should I just buy the things and keep quiet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.