Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

taking pets with you when you move?

taking pets with you when you move?

Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

aaron80 is on a distinguished road
Default taking pets with you when you move?

has anyone done this? just wondering how much of a pain in the backside this would be, we have a one year old cat and i think he would like to come with us when we go, (and i would like him to come too)

and info would be cool thanks...
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:22 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking pets with you when you move?

Your cat will either need an LMO, or it's own PR application.

More here.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron80
has anyone done this? just wondering how much of a pain in the backside this would be, we have a one year old cat and i think he would like to come with us when we go, (and i would like him to come too)

There are some very good posts on here about this and also which method is the cheapest. But as I'm useless at these things I can't find them!
I'm sure if you look you'll find them...
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

mariaGB is an unknown quantity at this point

you can take them as "excess luggage" when you fly but they need a pet passport - which is $$ and requires all their jabs uptodate...

but we were told they may be placed in quaratine (at your expense) and will be inspected by a vet at the other end who will put them down if they have any suspicions the cat is ill.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/index.htm

we didnt bring ours in the end becuase they do not travel well at all and they were outdoor cats while most cats here in edmonton are indoor cats.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mariaGB
you can take them as "excess luggage" when you fly but they need a pet passport - which is $$ and requires all their jabs uptodate...

but we were told they may be placed in quaratine (at your expense) and will be inspected by a vet at the other end who will put them down if they have any suspicions the cat is ill.

we didnt bring ours in the end becuase they do not travel well at all and they were outdoor cats while most cats here in edmonton are indoor cats.
In relation to dogs (im sure the same principle applies) Pet passport is not $$, you just need to make sure your pet in micro chipped (most usually are nowadays), vaccinations are up to date (should be anyhow if your a responsible owner) and you have a rabbies jab, that's all you need. Plus for my Dog £1045 for the flight!!!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

mariaGB is an unknown quantity at this point

ah.. the $$ was becuase the VET charges for our passport was more than the jabs were.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

You DO NOT need a per passport to bring a dog to Canada.

You Need the dog to be Micro Chipped. Rabbies vaccinated and then it must have a positive rabbies blood test to ensure the rabbies vaccination has worked.

The dogs paperwork and poss the dog will be inspected on arrival at a cost of $36 for the first one then $6 for the second and so on.

However:

We did go down the pet passport route just in case things do not work out for us here in Canada then that would enable us to bring our dogs back to the UK without putting them into quarantine. If you want to bring them back and do not have the passports then you'll be looking at the old 6 month quarantine route unless you can can get an overseas vet in the country your in (prob Canada) to sign the forms waivering the 6 month rule which Im sorrry I cant find right now or remember them but Im sure the info is on the DEFRA sight you'll have to look for it. DEFRA and the vet in UK will make the ultimate decision as to the waivering of the quarantine. If the dog is microchipped in Canada you might have to pay for the chip reader to read the chip as the N.American and the EU chips use different chips and the readers are not compatible.

We brought 2 ESSpaniels with us with Air Canada £109 each as excess baggage they were fantastic and no probs with the dogs at all.

HTH
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some guidelines from both the UK and Canada.

There is no quarantine for cats coming from the UK.

UK, general information

Canada, general information

Canada FAQ

Canada, importing cats

Domestic or pet cats may enter Canada if accompanied by an export certificate issued in either English or French, and signed by an official government veterinarian (a veterinarian who works for the government veterinary service in the country of origin.). The certificate must clearly identify the animals and show that:

Rabies has not existed in the exporting country for the six (6) month period immediately preceding the shipment of the animals;
and,
The animals have been in the exporting country for the six (6) month period immediately preceding their shipment, or since birth.

If an export certificate is not available, cats may enter Canada if accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate which is issued by a licensed veterinarian (a veterinarian who is licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the country of origin) in either English or French and which clearly identifies the cats and states that they are currently vaccinated against rabies.

The certificate should identify the animals as to breed, colour, weight, etc., and indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), including serial number and the duration of its validity (up to three years). Please note that if the duration of validity is not indicated on the certificate, it will be considered to be valid for one year.

There is no waiting period imposed between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

If the animal arrives at a Canadian port of entry and does not meet the applicable requirements, an inspector will order the owner (at the owner's expense) to have the animal vaccinated against rabies within a specified period of time and to provide the vaccination certificate to an inspector.

The above requirements also apply to cats that were originally from Canada and are being returned to Canada directly from a country designated as having been free from rabies for six (6) months.
Cats under three (3) months of age may enter Canada without an export certificate and are not required to be vaccinated for rabies.

Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

mrwilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
We brought 2 ESSpaniels with us with Air Canada £109 each as excess baggage they were fantastic and no probs with the dogs at all.

HTH
Excess baggage? I've not heard of this before, £100 rather than £1000??? How come everyone doesn't do it this way?

mrwilson
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

skier is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mrwilson
Excess baggage? I've not heard of this before, £100 rather than £1000??? How come everyone doesn't do it this way?

mrwilson
Hi all,

we've had very recent experience of this with our 6 year old cat. We're flying with Air Canada who initially told us he would have to go cargo at a cost of nearly £400. However, cargo informed me there is no reason why he can't go as excess baggage (costing £109). After much toing and froing, I kicked-up a stink until they agreed to take him as excess. Apparently it was because he is a British domestic short hair (a regular moggy!). They're supposed to be more susceptible to a breathing disease that I can't remember the name of.

I posted a thread about it on here, and people said that they'd had similar experiences - just depends on who you speak to on the day!

Suffice to say that he does not have a pet passport, and he has not been immunised against rabies as he is from Britain and will not be returning here. He will have an export health certificate signed by a certified vet to say he is fit to fly. Siouxie and Davie_Mac pretty much nailed it on that one...

If you get a duff response from whoever you speak to regarding the flight, keep asking for their manager/supervisor until you find someone who will accept them as excess baggage!

Good luck with it all

M & B
Old Mar 9th 2010, 3:11 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I pretty much agree. However, we chose not to go the excess baggage route and did use an animal moving company - Airpets. Yes, it did obviously cost us more (the cat's flight cost us $500 - London Heathrow to Calgary) but for my peace of mind, felt the cat (and our dog) were being looked after. It may have just been a bad experience but friends flew their dog out excess baggage and it took them a while to locate her at the airport. Eventually found her all alone in her crate in the corner of the baggage reclaim hall next to one of the baggage carousels; no one seemed to know where she was. Yes, we didn't have pet passports either, just export papers (jabbed and microchipped) and none the worse for their ordeal despite their senior years of 9 and 11 at the time.

Originally Posted by skier
Hi all,

we've had very recent experience of this with our 6 year old cat. We're flying with Air Canada who initially told us he would have to go cargo at a cost of nearly £400. However, cargo informed me there is no reason why he can't go as excess baggage (costing £109). After much toing and froing, I kicked-up a stink until they agreed to take him as excess. Apparently it was because he is a British domestic short hair (a regular moggy!). They're supposed to be more susceptible to a breathing disease that I can't remember the name of.

I posted a thread about it on here, and people said that they'd had similar experiences - just depends on who you speak to on the day!

Suffice to say that he does not have a pet passport, and he has not been immunised against rabies as he is from Britain and will not be returning here. He will have an export health certificate signed by a certified vet to say he is fit to fly. Siouxie and Davie_Mac pretty much nailed it on that one...

If you get a duff response from whoever you speak to regarding the flight, keep asking for their manager/supervisor until you find someone who will accept them as excess baggage!

Good luck with it all

M & B
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:51 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skier
Hi all,

Good luck with it all

M & B
but doesnt he need a rabies jab to get into Canada?

You dont need a per passport to leave Uk to get into canada or to get back into the Uk (but tis easier for the latter) - if you do take them back them need the relevant non per passport forms and rabies jabs up to date, micro chipped and bloods to show the rabies titre is in effect!

1 x large / giant dog 1 x mediy=um - too heavy for excess bagae - LGW to YVR about 700 gbp

vets in uk plus landing fees here - all together approx 300 gbp
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron80

No never, they normally sell them to the local takeaway IIRC
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=The4BellsLondon;8406098]but doesnt he need a rabies jab to get into Canada?
As far as I know, you can bring an animal in from a designated rabies free country (i.e. UK) without the rabies jab but must get one shortly after arriving. Not 100% sure on that so would be best to check with the Canadian authorities.

You dont need a per passport to leave Uk to get into canada or to get back into the Uk (but tis easier for the latter) - if you do take them back them need the relevant non per passport forms and rabies jabs up to date, micro chipped and bloods to show the rabies titre is in effect!
4Bells is right, you do not have to have a 'Pet Passport' per se to return to the UK, just the relevant paperwork but you do have to go through the Micro chipping,rabies jab, Titre test etc and that takes approx 7 months from start to finish. If you do already have one going into Canada, then its just a matter of keeping the rabies up to date.

1 x large / giant dog 1 x mediy=um - too heavy for excess bagae - LGW to YVR about 700 gbp

vets in uk plus landing fees here - all together approx 300 gbp[/QUOTE
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
There is no quarantine for pets going to Canada from UK, as UK is designated as Rabies free country. I know with dogs they need to have had the Rabies vaccine....not sure about cats. You only need a pet passport if there is a likelihood of you wanting to bring them back to UK at a later date, otherwise a fitness to fly cert from the vet no more than five days before travel.

Look up your airlines policy on pets, some will let them go as excess baggage, others want them to go as cargo. Bear in mind that some airlines will not fly pets during the summer or winter because of extremes of temperatures. If going as cargo, they are placed in a temperature controlled hold, so no restrictions on when you travel.
Hope this helps
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by mariaGB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.