Reload this Page >

taking pets over??

taking pets over??

Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Pen'n'ink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: taking pets over??

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Hi just looking for advice from anyone who took pets with them or who are planning on taking them.

We have just the one cat but my daughter would be devastated if we had to leave the cat behind. I just have a few worries...!!

We are planning on renting when we first get there but we may need to go into a hotel for a few days until find a rental... what would we do with the cat then??? Or would people suggest going out and finding a rental prior to moving over??

Any advice or experiences on taking pets anyone has would be great!

Thanks
Sarah
I am taking two cats to Ontario at the beginning of September, and Airpets are looking after them, and what they are going to do is: We take them down to Airpets who are based at Heathrow, and they will board them until you want them, we ring them from Canada when we are ready to have them, could be a week, even two, and they pop them on a plane and we go and collect them from airport. Easy!! means that we don't have to upset them too much my having to board them again in Canada. Sorted. It is costing us £742 for everything, they even organise the Defra Certificate of Export, all they need is the vaccination cert and proof of microchip. No rabies necessary (so far)
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just looking for advice from anyone who took pets with them or who are planning on taking them.

We have just the one cat but my daughter would be devastated if we had to leave the cat behind. I just have a few worries...!!

We are planning on renting when we first get there but we may need to go into a hotel for a few days until find a rental... what would we do with the cat then??? Or would people suggest going out and finding a rental prior to moving over??

Thanks
Sarah
Hi,

I use to live in Warrington, well just outside in Penketh. Probably going back there for a week in October.

We brought our two cats over to Toronto. They came on our flight but it was organised by a company called Ladyhaye. We had to drop them off at Cargo Handling before we checked in, We had a hotel booked for one night that allowed you to have cats in your room, and had arranged an apartment while still in the UK. Was a bit of a risk paying for it and signing a 12 month lease but never seeing it, but turned out ok.

The cats were fine when the got to Toronto. Lots of messing around at the airport with paperwork to get them back though!

Good luck

Mark
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pen'n'ink
No rabies necessary (so far)
They will need the rabies shot once they get here anyway.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've scolded him for this, told him Jack Layton won't like it, but I see no sign of contrition.
Well, DUh! No-one gives a shit about what Jack Layton says, so why should kitty be any different!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

OMG!!! I have just read some old threads about taking cats over and it says by law your cat cant roam free and if it goes on someone elses property it can be shot??!! :scared: Is this true?? My cat loves being out and would hate being locked up all day. Its giving me 2nd thoughts about taking her...
Some people take a very dim view of the neighbours cat digging up and shitting in there flower beds or whatever. We have a problem with strays crapping under our deck in the winter, and put repellents like critter ridder down to disuade them. You do hear of the odd use of excessive force, but I would be far more worried what a racoon or coyote would do to them.

We did let our 4 cats roam outside for a while once we movved from the apartment, but changed our mind due to a combination of allergies, lack or road sense, and concerns over our liability should they shred the neighbours pool lining (fat idiot cat was seen teetering on top of pool...didnt think that was a good idea!) Now they have a caged in outside run that they access from inside, and they are happy enough.

If anyone leaves a cat behind and wants a replacement, we are still looking for a nice quiet home for Riley.
Attached Thumbnails taking pets over??-riley.jpg  

Last edited by iaink; Aug 25th 2006 at 1:53 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, DUh! No-one gives a shit about what Jack Layton says, so why should kitty be any different!
Few people still care now he's gone off to the wilderness but I still loath him. I've only to hear 10 seconds of his pseuds corner managerial doublespeak and I throw things at the radio. I bet he proposes sex with a line like "Big 'Liv, at this point in time, we might enter into consultations regarding proactively interfacing".

He used to be in a position of power; he was a councillor and a tireless advocate of petty new laws. He made our lawns pesticide free, our city a nuclear free zone, he stamped out the use of leaf blowers and he banned children from restaurants (the latter causing me to turn the hose on him when he came canvassing). He built a huge road through my then neighbourhood, destroying the community for the sake of some big box stores. All the while he drew two salaries and lived in government housing intended for the poor. He's the king of officiousness, a sort midget Captain Mainwaring; if we have a cat law here you can be sure that he had a hand in it.

Jack Layton disproves the idea that Canadians cannot inspire passion; for the whole era of the child ban I got up each day and wished him dead. Now, I don't think of him that often.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

For all that, he's less of a shit than Harper. Harper seems like the type of man who, as a boy, tortured cats.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

For all that, he's less of a shit than Harper. Harper seems like the type of man who, as a boy, tortured cats.
As a boy? Doesnt that imply that he no longer does it?
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

if we have a cat law here you can be sure that he had a hand in it.
That reminds me that the bosses daughter now lives in or near Ottawa, and they have to license their cats there, and I think there is a maximum number (like 2?) that they are allowed to keep as well. I doubt if its rigidly enforced, but in Ottawa, you never know. All sorts of bizarre local regulations in this country, but I dont need to tell you that!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

That reminds me that the bosses daughter now lives in or near Ottawa, and they have to license their cats there, and I think there is a maximum number (like 2?) that they are allowed to keep as well. I doubt if its rigidly enforced, but in Ottawa, you never know. All sorts of bizarre local regulations in this country, but I dont need to tell you that!
If it's Kanata then they do enforce their quirky laws, when I was working up there a colleague had applied for a permit to change the colour of his garage door and been refused, he was in negotiation over the vividness of the chosen shade. Still, that's Ottawa, it's all government.

I expect there's a cat limit here too but since I'm not privy to any plan for anything as reasonable as a second cat I haven't investigated.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:04 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck is all i can say!! any plans so far? where u heading??
Hi Ive heard on some of the threads that they will only fly 5 animals at anyone time, and some wont fly them at all in winter months and i hate beer, yuk! were heading for Calgary, apparently they are ok with coyotes, cougars and raccoons rooming but hate pussy cats.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by sans
apparently they are ok with coyotes, cougars and raccoons rooming but hate pussy cats.
Well, to be fair, theres not a lot they can do about the wildlife. Noone is kicking that lot out of the back door every night saying "go do your business over in the neighbours back yard"
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:29 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Well, to be fair, theres not a lot they can do about the wildlife. Noone is kicking that lot out of the back door every night saying "go do your business over in the neighbours back yard"
Hangman and Dbd33 was teasing me over this subject a couple of weeks ago, :scared: the pussycat out of me, Ooh and the other one was fishers , thought they were on about a bloke till Hangman sent me a web site on them. Lol
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Originally Posted by sans
Hi some wont fly them at all in winter months
Oh yes, that is something to pay attention to. Flying animals in the winter and the height of summer is not really possible, not because they will freeze/burn up inside the airplane, but because they can spend long hours on the tarmac and of course would freeze/fry then. Air Canada, for example, won't fly pets in winter or summer, so I would suspect most airlines won't either.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

zigspider is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we brought 3 cats and a dog over from France to Nova Scotia, and then they were boarded near Halifax for about 4 days until we arrived to collect them. We paid the equivalent of 5,500 CAN$ for the pet relocation, and then another $300 for the boarding until we arrived. I could not have imagined leaving them behind, even at that price, even though the cats will have to become house cats, as we have been told there are Coyotee's around, so we will not take the risk.

Here in Port Hawkesbury a lot of people say they are in rental properties and can't have pets. We bought a house back in March, so the house was waiting for us when we arrived at the end of July. But there are hotels that take pets everywhere, you just need to seach the web for pet friendly accommodation.

Our realtor pretty much did everything for us.. we had an airbed and bedding for us, and dog and cat food, and food bowls and litter and tray for the cats... also china, saucepans and cutlery, kettle, toaster, coffee maker, and the list goes on.. we then bought a metal patio set for our verandah.. which we used both outside and inside until our container arrived a few weeks later.

Thanks
Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.