Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking Pet dog ashes on flight

Taking Pet dog ashes on flight

Old May 6th 2018, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice
Default Taking Pet dog ashes on flight

Hi all, my wife finally flys over in a couple of weeks, one of our dogs has passed away and we have her ashes. My wife is desperate to bring them with her and scatter them here once we are settled. I’m trying to find out if anyone has experience of taking ashes from U.K. to Canada. Did you have any problems either side. Her ashes are in a sealed scatter tube.

Thanks
Old May 6th 2018, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Pet dog ashes on flight

My Canadian husband will be cremated upon death and his ashes buried with his son in Greenwood, NS when the time comes. Having researched how to get the ashes there if I travel via plane rather than driving, I was told that I would need to bring the certificate from the cremorium that specify what is in the container. Perhaps it is the same for bringing in the ashes of a pet. I know when we have had a pet cremated we were provided with a certificate along with the ashes.
Old May 6th 2018, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

TheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really niceTheNorms is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
My Canadian husband will be cremated upon death and his ashes buried with his son in Greenwood, NS when the time comes. Having researched how to get the ashes there if I travel via plane rather than driving, I was told that I would need to bring the certificate from the cremorium that specify what is in the container. Perhaps it is the same for bringing in the ashes of a pet. I know when we have had a pet cremated we were provided with a certificate along with the ashes.
Thanks for the reply, we do have a little card from the cremation company that confirms that her ashes are in the container along with her name. I may get my wife to contact them to see if they are able to provide a letter that confirms a little more info.
Old May 7th 2018, 12:47 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Who are you flying with? Air carriers have different policies.

​​​​​​In Canada, you can take ashes with you and there are special screening procedures at security. The UK probably has something similar.
Old May 7th 2018, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jennellapea
Who are you flying with? Air carriers have different policies.

​​​​​​In Canada, you can take ashes with you and there are special screening procedures at security. The UK probably has something similar.
my wife is flying with Air Canada from London Heathrow, she has sent LHR a message and is waiting for a reply. She tried to call them but you can’t actually talk to a human so frustrating.
Old May 7th 2018, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried googling to find out what the policies are?
Old May 7th 2018, 4:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my son's ashes to Canada in 2016 no problem. The container needs to be able to be opened should security want to verify the contents but otherwise no issues.
Old May 7th 2018, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I brought my son's ashes to Canada in 2016 no problem. The container needs to be able to be opened should security want to verify the contents but otherwise no issues.

Her ashes are in a sealed scatter tube but it can be opened if required. did you fly from the UK? It’s good to hear other people’s experiences of traveling with ashes. We have done lots of google searches and found lots of people asking the same questions. We have found this document from CBSA.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...19-9-3-eng.pdf
Old May 8th 2018, 6:41 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

As long as security can see through it on the x-ray it should be fine.

This is the policy in Canada, can't see the UK being much different.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/cremated-remains
Old May 8th 2018, 8:59 pm
Chips & Gravy

I couldn't find the edit button. Just found this on Heathrow's website for you.

Can I carry ashes through security and on board the aircraft?

Yes, however, we recommend the urn for the ashes is made of a material that can be x-ray screened – lead-lined containers for example cannot be processed through the x-ray. Where this isn't possible, the ashes may be subject to additional security measures as we are obliged to ensure that all hand luggage meets UK security requirements
Old May 8th 2018, 9:03 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh, just dont do as one woman did, she wanted her husbands ashes in the atlantic so flushed him down the planes loo, blocking it and just leaving him going through the motions all the way to JFK...
Old May 8th 2018, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jennellapea
I couldn't find the edit button. Just found this on Heathrow's website for you.
many thanks, my wife had a reply from Heathrow today. They asked her to remove the scatter tube from her hand luggage so it can be security scanned individually. She has also been in contact with CBSA and they have given her a telephone number where they will be able to confirm and give instructions for security once in Canada. She wants to cover all bases so she won’t run into any problems.
Old May 8th 2018, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Sheesh, just dont do as one woman did, she wanted her husbands ashes in the atlantic so flushed him down the planes loo, blocking it and just leaving him going through the motions all the way to JFK...
oh god not what the poor sod so bargaining for 😂
Old May 9th 2018, 1:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a mini urn back with some of my Mum, she came as hand luggage. At screening I was asked what it was, I told them and that was that.
Old May 9th 2018, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheNorms

oh god not what the poor sod so bargaining for 😂

you didn't think that story was true, did you?

Fake news, as the trumpoid would call it