Reload this Page >

Taking a pet to Canada

Taking a pet to Canada

Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:12 am
Just Joined

samjam1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a pet to Canada

Hi,

I am thinking of going to Canada maybe next year if I am lucky enough get IEC.

Let's just say for argument sake, I did get IEC and I wanted to take my dog with me, I have seen that you can do this with air Canada and I was wondering if anyone has done this before?

I am not saying that if I get IEC I would definitely do this, but I would just like to keep my options open and learn as much information as possible so i can make the best and most informed decision if and when the time comes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a pet to Canada

You need to research the rules for bringing a dog into the UK as those are more strict than the ones for Canada.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
You need to research the rules for bringing a dog into the UK as those are more strict than the ones for Canada.
Hi,

Yeah I researched it a bit, you have to get a rabies shot administered and a certificate to prove that the animal has been in its host country for at least six months. And from what I read, as the U.K is officially classed as rabies free I won't need to put my dog into quarantine but I will be refused entry if I don't have all of the relevant documentation. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience in bringing a pet with them to Canada.

I guess I'm just trying to get as much information as possible, maybe too much sometimes but it's better to be prepared! Haha.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search you will see plenty of threads on bringing animals into Canada. We brought 3 dogs with us and for ease we used a company but many of done it themselves. You need to be clear on what you need to do to get dog back into the UK so a search in the back to uk forum should tell you that
Old Apr 17th 2016, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Ok I will definitely do that. Based on your experience was it easy enough to do when you embarked on the task of taking you're dogs to Canada?
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:01 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjam1234
Ok I will definitely do that. Based on your experience was it easy enough to do when you embarked on the task of taking you're dogs to Canada?
Easy enough, cheap, definitely not
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Really? I only have a small dog (smaller than Jack Russell) so I think it would meet the requirements to be able to take in the cabin, from what I have read it costs around CAD$100 to do this if you fly with air Canada.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered the implications of trying to rent somewhere to live if you've got a pet? It'll reduce your options considerably and mean a larger damage deposit for landlords that will allow it.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

At the moment I'm just getting information just so I can make any decisions fully informed, but you are right it would make things harder. I guess that's why at this stage i was wondering if anyone has done it, and how the found it.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:38 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I only have a small dog (smaller than Jack Russell) so I think it would meet the requirements to be able to take in the cabin, from what I have read it costs around CAD$100 to do this if you fly with air Canada.
Not a proper dog then
RICH has a good point with rentals, we were lucky as landlord loved dogs- not always the case though. Will you around enough to let them out for their business? Dog walkers aren't cheap
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Have you considered the implications of trying to rent somewhere to live if you've got a pet? It'll reduce your options considerably and mean a larger damage deposit for landlords that will allow it.
I thought that too RICH.

Samjam have you been to Canada before? I brought three cats and a dog with me, but I knew that I was here for a good long while, whether I liked it or not, and no it wasn't cheap and my dog is smallish.

Are you in a position to leave the dog with a family member and then come and see if you like it, and sort out accommodation etc, without the dog and then get it sent over? Being in a strange place can be great fun, but when you have the responsibility for an animal it can be stressful, and you couldn't take it to work.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that's the best and most logical idea, and to be honest that's what I was thinking. I think I just feel a bit guilty leaving it and going off that's why I wanted to know if anyone has done it just so I could do my 'due diligence' if you will.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 8:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Airtransat is much cheaper.

Have a look at the links (to BE threads) on this google search - it has all the answers you should need.

Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

westewoo is an unknown quantity at this point

dream on. it cost me $1400 cnd to bring my staffie from manchester to calgary, in 2011 with air transat, and air canada would have been more, contact petair uk and they will give you a run down of costs and procedures.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westewoo
dream on. it cost me $1400 cnd to bring my staffie from manchester to calgary, in 2011 with air transat, and air canada would have been more, contact petair uk and they will give you a run down of costs and procedures.
Air Transat is CAD$275 to check it into the hold

Flying With Pets and Airline-Approved Pet Carriers | Air Transat

Staffies are on the list that they don't accept though for that service though, probably why yours cost more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.