Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking my TV to Calgary.

Taking my TV to Calgary.

Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking my TV to Calgary.

Hi all.

I received a new TV at xmas as a gift and it's the only thing I'd possibly want to take with me so far as household goods go.

Has anyone shipped a TV alone?
I've seen it doesn't look possible on a plane.
Is it cost effective?
What about customs?
I'm reading up and in between selling my stuff, sorting pet travel and packing up, I'm getting pretty mixed up and frustrated.

Any info welcome

TIA
Old Aug 6th 2021, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my TV to Calgary.

If it has been used then no taxes payable to Customs. Personally I would sell it in the UK and then buy another in Canada.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/televisions/21344
Old Aug 6th 2021, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compa...ods-Canada#TVs

HTH.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
Hi all.

I received a new TV at xmas as a gift and it's the only thing I'd possibly want to take with me so far as household goods go.

Has anyone shipped a TV alone?
I've seen it doesn't look possible on a plane.
Is it cost effective?
What about customs?
I'm reading up and in between selling my stuff, sorting pet travel and packing up, I'm getting pretty mixed up and frustrated.

Any info welcome

TIA
As far as I know you can have it shipped by a company. Things are a lot easier if you still have the original packaging of it. Whether you can take it on a plane with you as "carry on luggage" probably only depends on size and weight. If it's a small one, it may even fit into your checked suitcase.

However, don't expect to have any real reception of TV signals in Canada. You'd only be able to use it as some kind of a screen. TV transmissions work differently in Canada than in the UK.

And then there is the 110 / 220 volt issue to consider and the adapters, British to North American.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 2:20 am
Just Joined

neonwired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
As far as I know you can have it shipped by a company. Things are a lot easier if you still have the original packaging of it. Whether you can take it on a plane with you as "carry on luggage" probably only depends on size and weight. If it's a small one, it may even fit into your checked suitcase.

However, don't expect to have any real reception of TV signals in Canada. You'd only be able to use it as some kind of a screen. TV transmissions work differently in Canada than in the UK.

And then there is the 110 / 220 volt issue to consider and the adapters, British to North American.
Don't put it in checked luggage, unpressurized holds can break them and insurers won't cover it.
Old Aug 16th 2021, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neonwired
Don't put it in checked luggage, unpressurized holds can break them and insurers won't cover it.
Understandable.

However that would also apply to laptop computers if they ever threaten to bring in a law that laptops need to go into the cargo hold?
Old Aug 16th 2021, 2:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Understandable.

However that would also apply to laptop computers if they ever threaten to bring in a law that laptops need to go into the cargo hold?
My laptop's travelled the world in my checked baggage. I just put it in its bag and stick it in the middle of my clothes. No problem.
Old Aug 16th 2021, 3:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My laptop's travelled the world in my checked baggage. I just put it in its bag and stick it in the middle of my clothes. No problem.
Your trusty HP Stream?
Old Aug 16th 2021, 3:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Your trusty HP Stream?
That's one of them
I should have said my laptops, plural. I only take one at a time but of course have had different ones over time. Still like the Lenovo ThinkPads the best, but they're a bit heavy.

Old Aug 16th 2021, 3:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of them
I should have said my laptops, plural. I only take one at a time but of course have had different ones over time. Still like the Lenovo ThinkPads the best, but they're a bit heavy.

I lugged two about for years (one for use with a client's VPN) one in the cabin, one in the luggage. Nothing remarkable happened with either of them.
Old Aug 16th 2021, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by dbd33
I lugged two about for years (one for use with a client's VPN) one in the cabin, one in the luggage. Nothing remarkable happened with either of them.
Yes, they're pretty tough.

Entirely off-topic but I still laugh at myself when I remember my first 'long haul' overseas trip. I'd somehow got the idea that I had to pack as much of my wardrobe as I could stuff in. I didn't do that a second time.
Old Aug 16th 2021, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unless it's the law, I would never put the laptop into a checked baggage.

If this will ever become law, it'll probably be the US under some security paranoia to initiate that one.

I would however have concerns and second thoughts about laptop batteries in checked baggage in the cargo hold of a plane.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 12:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's the law, I would never put the laptop into a checked baggage.

If this will ever become law, it'll probably be the US under some security paranoia to initiate that one.

I would however have concerns and second thoughts about laptop batteries in checked baggage in the cargo hold of a plane.

What do you think might happen to the laptop batteries?

(and why doesn't it happen to the batteries in other hand held electrical devices)
Old Aug 17th 2021, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What do you think might happen to the laptop batteries?

(and why doesn't it happen to the batteries in other hand held electrical devices)
This, presumably....
https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...res-on-planes/

So far this year the Federal Aviation Administration has reported at least 18 incidents involving lithium-ion batteries on airplanes and in airports, and there were 31 incidents in 2016. That compares with 16 incidents in 2015, nine in 2014, and eight in 2013.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 17th 2021 at 3:47 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 5:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
"So far this year the Federal Aviation Administration has reported at least 18 incidents involving lithium-ion batteries on airplanes and in airports, and there were 31 incidents in 2016."

Firstly, these incidents include airports, not just aeroplanes. There's no suggestion that batteries are more likely to do anything when included in checked baggage.

Secondly, in 2016, there were about 35,000,000 flights. Suppose there were 100 passengers on each flight and each of them carried 3 batteries. My calculator has exploded but 18/(35,000,000*100*3) is not a big number.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...er-of-flights/

Thirdly, there's no suggestion in the article that anything happened in consequence of these incidents. They aren't plane crashes or passenger deaths.

All in all, it's like considering the placement of one's ball point pen during a flight, where is it less likely to leak or explode or whatever might happen to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.