Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs to Calgary

Taking dogs to Calgary

Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

mutchg1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking dogs to Calgary

Any one done this on there own without a company, as ive been quoted betwwen 2k(Zoom) and 4k(BA, Air Canada) for taking 2 weimaraners to Calgary. Have a friend who is a travel agent and she has spoken to BA and was told around £1400 for both dogs.

cheers
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:01 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dogs to Calgary

if you search the threads there arae a number of people that have done it DIY - much cheaper than the agencies!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:14 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mutchg1
Any one done this on there own without a company, as ive been quoted betwwen 2k(Zoom) and 4k(BA, Air Canada) for taking 2 weimaraners to Calgary. Have a friend who is a travel agent and she has spoken to BA and was told around £1400 for both dogs.

cheers
Assuming you fly Air Transat you can book the dogs on the same flight for approx 125 GBP (each). (In my experience)
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We used agency and approx £3000 for 3 dogs with them providing vet clearance bill, kennels,boarding, flights, transport to the airport and boarding for 2 days all we had to do was collect from airport and pay any customs fees. 3 dogs ranging from a small mongrel to German Shepherd with kennels in different sizes. Dogs followed us 5 days later so worked out well for us
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
The correct answer to this is that it depends which time of year you are flying (as all airlines do not fly to Calgary year round), which airline you are flying with (as some no longer accepted pets as excess baggage meaning that you will have to take them as cargo) and whether you are happy to arrange the cargo yourself and whether the airline allows this (as some don't). I doubt anyone would voluntarily agree to pay over a thousand pounds if they were able to arrange it themselves for a few hundred dollars, but some have no choice.

We flew our dogs to Calgary in January of 2007. At that time Air Transat only flew to Toronto at that time of year (it was impractical to then take them by train to Calgary as they were too heavy to fly internally), BA had just stopped accepting dogs as excess baggage and Zoom didn't allow one to arrange the cargo oneself. We had little alternative, short of leaving them in England or arranging for them to fly at a later date, than to pay through our nose to ge them out here.

Having seen the costs charged by "breeders" for Heinz 57 dogs in Canada, we are really pleased we didn't go with the final option which was to buy new ones out here. It makes me laugh when, having accepted that one can buy top quality, pedigree dogs from top breeders in the UK for less than 500 pounds, that Canadian routinely pay over $1,000 for Heinz dogs over here - total madness
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The correct answer to this is that it depends which time of year you are flying (as all airlines do not fly to Calgary year round), which airline you are flying with (as some no longer accepted pets as excess baggage meaning that you will have to take them as cargo) and whether you are happy to arrange the cargo yourself and whether the airline allows this (as some don't). I doubt anyone would voluntarily agree to pay over a thousand pounds if they were able to arrange it themselves for a few hundred dollars, but some have no choice.

We flew our dogs to Calgary in January of 2007. At that time Air Transat only flew to Toronto at that time of year (it was impractical to then take them by train to Calgary as they were too heavy to fly internally), BA had just stopped accepting dogs as excess baggage and Zoom didn't allow one to arrange the cargo oneself. We had little alternative, short of leaving them in England or arranging for them to fly at a later date, than to pay through our nose to ge them out here.

Having seen the costs charged by "breeders" for Heinz 57 dogs in Canada, we are really pleased we didn't go with the final option which was to buy new ones out here. It makes me laugh when, having accepted that one can buy top quality, pedigree dogs from top breeders in the UK for less than 500 pounds, that Canadian routinely pay over $1,000 for Heinz dogs over here - total madness
We rescued 2 dogs once we arrived after we lost 1 dog to illness and was glad we did but they only cost $85 each, in fact they gave us discount for one as he was old but seeing as charity we said we wanted to pay full. Not sure if I want to pay $1000
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
We rescued 2 dogs once we arrived after we lost 1 dog to illness and was glad we did but they only cost $85 each, in fact they gave us discount for one as he was old but seeing as charity we said we wanted to pay full. Not sure if I want to pay $1000
It may just be Calgary, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people will pay ridiculous prices for what would be deemed to be "farmed puppies" in the UK.

On reading my post again I appreciate it does sound rather snobby, this wasn't what I was trying to portray. I have no issue with cross breeds, I am just amazed at the prices people are able to charge for them
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

After the death of our dog last year from cancer, we rescued two dogs, one from the Calgary Humane Society and one from The Animal Rescue Foundation (Calgary), a registered charity. I seem to remember that the total cost for both dogs was around $400.00. This price included all necessary vaccinations, identification tattoos, 4 months of pet health insurance, neutering and spaying (one was female, one was male) and a reduction in the first year of licence fees by the city of Calgary. We thought that was a pretty good deal, especially as these dogs really needed a good home. needless to say, they've been spoilt since they adopted us.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
After the death of our dog last year from cancer, we rescued two dogs, one from the Calgary Humane Society and one from The Animal Rescue Foundation (Calgary), a registered charity. I seem to remember that the total cost for both dogs was around $400.00. This price included all necessary vaccinations, identification tattoos, 4 months of pet health insurance, neutering and spaying (one was female, one was male) and a reduction in the first year of licence fees by the city of Calgary. We thought that was a pretty good deal, especially as these dogs really needed a good home. needless to say, they've been spoilt since they adopted us.
Ours are also spoilt and settled in well.

Just goes to show how prices vary around the country. Our included vac and neutering but no insurance etc
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

rodders5 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
We have three mutts travelling to Calgary in early Nov.
The flight cost for all three pets comes to just over a thousand pounds and that is using a pet company.
This is with AIR TRANSAT who are the cheaper option.
The procedure is very easy to do yourself....call cargo agents used by AIR TRANSAT and give them your preferred flight date. They will book them onto flight and give you a provisional booking ref no. They are only able to confirm flights a month prior to departure.
You will need the dimensions of the containers you are going to transport your dogs in, as the price they charge you is based on that.

Don't have the tel no for cargo agents sorry ( it's currently in storage with everything else ) but if you search previous threads, you will find it mentioned by someone else...that's where I got it from originally.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to allChi_Nook is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rodders5
The flight cost for all three pets comes to just over a thousand pounds and that is using a pet company.
The procedure is very easy to do yourself....call cargo agents used by AIR TRANSAT and give them your preferred flight date. They will book them onto flight and give you a provisional booking ref no. They are only able to confirm flights a month prior to departure.
You will need the dimensions of the containers you are going to transport your dogs in, as the price they charge you is based on that.

Don't have the tel no for cargo agents sorry ( it's currently in storage with everything else ) but if you search previous threads, you will find it mentioned by someone else...that's where I got it from originally.
That's good information, as we've got family (sister-in-law) coming to Calgary later this year with a dog. I'll pass this information onto her.

Thank you...
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ours are also spoilt and settled in well.

Just goes to show how prices vary around the country. Our included vac and neutering but no insurance etc

Forgot to mention, the one we rescued from the Calgary Humane Society, was also microchipped (included in the $200.00 fee). We didn't mind the fee's, as both organization (Humane and ARF) do a great job with unwanted animals and their animals really need good homes.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

macksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rodders5

Hi Rodders5,

I'm seriously confused about Air Transat and pets. After losing our Zoom flights we're keen to use them as they have flights from Glasgow to Canada (I'm in the Highlands). But... their UK website says "no pets on flights to or connecting in the UK." The Canadian one says the same plus, "no pets on flights from the UK."

It's not clear if your doggies are flying out from the UK. I would LOVE to hear that this is the case as obviously this would mean Air Transat DO transport pets to Canada from the UK.

Anyway, hope you will be checking in to this forum soon as I'd love to know.