Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

taking dog with us

taking dog with us

Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Deb.3 is on a distinguished road
Default taking dog with us

HI , wondered if anyone could give me there experience of taking dog to Canada, we are using air transat from Gatwick to Vancouver, and our cocker spaniel is going as extra baggage, we have been told to take her in the crate to the check in with us, would any one know do we then have to take her somewhere else or does someone come and collect her, any info and advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking dog with us

We brought our cocker spaniel over with Air Transat in October, although from Manchester to Vancouver.

The check-in desk manager who deals with excess baggage will handle everything for you.

You check in and hang around (or take your dog for a wee around the nearest bushes/car park!) until they are ready to take your pet (this will be just before check-in closes).

They then apply the necessary stickers, complete the paperwork and take you and your pet to excess baggage, where they put security bands on the pet carrier and your pet is taken to the plane.

Then you go through customs to departure lounge.

You won't have time for duty free shopping or an Executive Lounge, as it will be time for boarding!

When you arrive at Vancouver, you go and see a carousel supervisor after doing your immigration paperwork and your pet will be brought out to you.

You then take it to the Agriculture desk and get the forms completed and then go to the fee desk to pay.

The nearest dog walk is right opposite Arrivals, across the taxi rank/road to the car hire car park and into a little wooded area.

Last edited by withabix; Jan 31st 2014 at 9:12 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:58 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

There are many dogs here that need a home...leave those behind and adopt new ones here
Old Feb 1st 2014, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our border collie from Glasgow to Calgary,we booked the tickets at a travel agent who organised the booking for the dog,it was simple except for the idiot staff at Glasgow airport who decided to act up when they spotted the one way tickets.The clowns patted down and searched my 8,6,and 5 year old girls,told them that my dog would not be allowed in Canada and that they would never see her again etc..
I knew more about coming over than the airport staff knew,Calgary was a different matter all together,"Welcome to Canada,enjoy your stay!",friendly,welcoming staff that we just could not fault at all,it was like another world.
Just make sure that you have your dogs vaccinations up to date,rabies shot,pet passport,etc..
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:05 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
There are many dogs here that need a home...leave those behind and adopt new ones here
Yeah, for me it was a toss up between putting my 2 rescued border collies back into a rescue centre and rescuing a couple of newer ones here (longer warranty on younger ones), or crating them up and shipping them over. Wouldn't have got much money back for middle aged second hand dogs, so that played on my mind.

After much thought, I decided abandoning or rehoming dogs I'd committed to be responsible for the rest of their lives was probably not the best option.

They're both dead now. Only lasted 8 more years over here. 17 is no age for a collie. Must be the mountain air that got 'em

Sometimes UR, you really don't help your cause.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:19 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb.3
HI , wondered if anyone could give me there experience of taking dog to Canada, we are using air transat from Gatwick to Vancouver, and our cocker spaniel is going as extra baggage, we have been told to take her in the crate to the check in with us, would any one know do we then have to take her somewhere else or does someone come and collect her, any info and advice would be greatly appreciated
Some airlines will only carry a limited number of animals so just phone ahead an make sure. Ours came with air transat but we got a company to ship him.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:31 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Really ? How long ....
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:33 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We used Air Transat too and as Lorna says you need to check in how many pets are booked on.
Ours had to go cargo as they were too heavy for excess baggage.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:40 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Really ? How long ....

Am just saying that there are many homeless dogs in Canada that need good homes
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:53 am
half a century

Am just saying that there are many homeless dogs in Canada that need good homes
And to leave your current ones, which are part of your family. (Is there a walking away shaking head emoticon thingy??)
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:12 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

It's their money and their pup. I cannot even image why you could say that

I brought my pup with me and also adopted a rescue dog when I got here.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Some airlines will only carry a limited number of animals so just phone ahead an make sure. Ours came with air transat but we got a company to ship him.

You do have to book them as excess baggage in advance, so there is no risk of you turning up at the airport to be denied boarding due to too many pets booked on.

Correct pet cage spec is a must. I seem to recall Transat suggest Vari Kennel and medium size is correct for a cocker.

We found Amazon to be the cheapest:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?_encoding...ch-alias%3Daps
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your coments , really helpful . Love this site ...Scootb on the decra form we have , it states she does'nt need the rabies jab , did they ask you if your dog had it done. my dog is. up to date with all her others though . Ultrarunner leaving her behind was never an option.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks withabix for the detailed. info , really appreciate it . could you also tell how long was you in the immigration office before you collected your dog . we are a family of 4 . ate theyquick or is it a lenghty process . thanks again
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

S_elliott52 is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew with my two cats with air tansat from Manchester to vancouver last July. At both airports no one checked my cats documents (fitness to fly and pet passport with proof of rabies vaccination) that being said I wouldn't have risked not having them. I went through immigration, collected my luggage and then went to the air transat desk and the pointed me to the fragile items carrousel (where the put the pushchairs etc) and that's where the cats were looking a little shell shocked but fine!! I then went to get my visa process, and yes they were very slow and I must have been in the over an hour with only about 4 people in front of me. I got my carrier from petsupermarket.co.uk, as they were the cheapest I found, they weren't various kennels but still IATA approved but again no one check the kennels. I would recommend using a tie strap to hold the water carrier in place as one of my cats had dislodged hers so went without water for a time. I put absorbent pads in the bottom of the carrier and put towels on top of them for comfort.

Last edited by S_elliott52; Feb 1st 2014 at 8:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.