Reload this Page >

Take a cat back to UK

Take a cat back to UK

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:43 pm
RLR
Just Joined

RLR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take a cat back to UK

Hello everybody! I am new to the forum. I need an advice, probably somebody did it before.
We, me and my husband, want to return to UK this year. We searched an internet how to bring a cat to UK and information is very contradictory. We will fly from Calgary, Air Canada allows to take a cat in the cabin. We bought our cat this way from UK to Calgary 4 years ego and did not have trouble with landing. Looks like it is more complicated opposite way.
If anybody brought cat to UK could please share the experience. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take a cat back to UK

Bi haven't taken an animal to the UK but the instructions are here. They are very clear and not wildly different wo what we had to do to bring our cat to Canada

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

You cannot have the cat in the cabin with you on flights to the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:27 am
RLR
Just Joined

Thank you, we studied this document. Just thought may be there are easier way to bring a cat, as to fly to Dublin (this way we can take the cat into cabin) and then fly to UK and cat will be in cargo less time.
Or to fly to EU country first and then to UK.
I do not like the idea that cat will be in the cargo for so long and after long process with documents.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:09 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It would be in cargo for even longer if you went via another country.

The cat was fine on the journey here so surely there's no reason it shouldn't be fine on the way back.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:16 am
RLR
Just Joined

From UK to Calgary our cat traveled with us in cabin. That is why we are scared ourself of cargo hole. To Dublin cat can go in the cabin and only after in cargo. But from other side the journey will be longer.
Just trying to find the easiest way for cat. He is 14 years old and not in the best health as he is being in car accident and his back legs were injured. It was about 7 years ego and he recovered, but looks like now it start to affect his ability to move quickly.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:14 pm
limey party pooper

The cat would have more room in a carrier in cargo than scrunched up under the seat in the cabin.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RLR
From UK to Calgary our cat traveled with us in cabin. That is why we are scared ourself of cargo hole. To Dublin cat can go in the cabin and only after in cargo. But from other side the journey will be longer.
Just trying to find the easiest way for cat. He is 14 years old and not in the best health as he is being in car accident and his back legs were injured. It was about 7 years ego and he recovered, but looks like now it start to affect his ability to move quickly.
No disrespect at all but he's not going to be moving anywhere whether he's in the cabin or in the hold so those particular health issues are pretty much redundant in this respect. The vast majority of animals transported around the world do so in the hold, not in the cabin. In fact the hold is probably safer for the animal because it's quiet and dark rather than lights, noise, strange people smells in the cabin. It's not like the animals are just shoved in anywhere amongst the suitcases, bikes etc. Please don't worry.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve seen Petsaway mentioned as being helpful several times on this forum by posters who have moved cats from Canada to the UK.

If you do a search here for posts by “Editha” + cat, there’s a lot of info. I’m sure there are others too, especially in the MBTTUK section
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with wisdom of putting the cat in the cargo hold. We thought that the noise and stress of the terminal building would be unpleasant for the cats, so chose to ship them as cargo... which involved just driving them to the cargo terminal where they were taken, had the paperwork processed and put somewhere quiet. One of ours was 12, and had no problems with it.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:03 pm
RLR
Just Joined

moneypenny20 and Shirtback, thank you!
I just thought that cat will feel more comfortable with us close by. I hold him on my lap and talked to him all the way.

Shirtback, thank you for recommendation. Will do.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:10 pm
RLR
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Collie
Agree with wisdom of putting the cat in the cargo hold. We thought that the noise and stress of the terminal building would be unpleasant for the cats, so chose to ship them as cargo... which involved just driving them to the cargo terminal where they were taken, had the paperwork processed and put somewhere quiet. One of ours was 12, and had no problems with it.
Thank you! How much in advance the cat must be at the airport as we will take the same flight. And how long to wait at the other end?
Also I was told that the rabies vaccination must be 6 months, no earlier and no later before flight. Our buster is due in April, and we are planning to fly in August, so it will be less then 6 mnth.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:27 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be easier to get another cat, already in England?
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:30 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No disrespect at all but he's not going to be moving anywhere whether he's in the cabin or in the hold so those particular health issues are pretty much redundant in this respect. The vast majority of animals transported around the world do so in the hold, not in the cabin. In fact the hold is probably safer for the animal because it's quiet and dark rather than lights, noise, strange people smells in the cabin. It's not like the animals are just shoved in anywhere amongst the suitcases, bikes etc. Please don't worry.
That's what I was hinting at.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 4:37 am
RLR
Just Joined

to Aviator - other cat is not a problem, but what to do with this one? I am volunteering in a pet's shelter and see so many unhappy cats, who was left behind by their owners. One cat almost died, refused to eat and get out from the carrier. Lucky for her she was adopted. If I leave our cat I won't be able to sleep as our cat is for 13 years with us.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RLR
moneypenny20 and Shirtback, thank you!
I just thought that cat will feel more comfortable with us close by. I hold him on my lap and talked to him all the way.

Shirtback, thank you for recommendation. Will do.
As a former cat owner and travelling with a cat I share your concerns. Unless you travel at least business class you won't be able to have the cat in the cabin. There is not enough space. I would fly into France or any continental EU country where import of a pet is easier. Then travel to U.K by train.
Import from EU is easier I understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.