Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tad chilly today

Tad chilly today

Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:39 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tad chilly today

Originally Posted by swoops
Thats one of the funniest sayings I've heard in a long time....
We had a call in from a north western US depot guy saying the highway was "as slick as goose snot".

.....made me laugh out loud anyways.

Rich.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rich_007
-16 at mo', was -21 overnight and expecting a long spell of chilly weather. Very bright and sunny, and the roads are as dry as a nun's nasher.

What with the cold, the faces of the haughty upscale Barbie brigade are pulled even tighter today

Rich.
I've been told that its a 'different kind of cold' to the UK. Now to me that sounds like the sort of thing the train operating companies in the UK would use as an excuse. Is it different / more bearable ?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Wussies. This is live from my desktop. I've just been out with wet hair and a t-shirt to get the mail and thought I was going to die. I think it's -45 windchill?
Nice widget
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:53 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Southcote
I've been told that its a 'different kind of cold' to the UK. Now to me that sounds like the sort of thing the train operating companies in the UK would use as an excuse. Is it different / more bearable ?
It's a reference to dampness. Many parts of Canada, but by no means all, are much less damp than the UK. The coldest I can remember feeling here was when it was about +10C and drizzling, which doesn't happen often. People here talk of dry cold - little or no dampness. If the air is dry, -15C is quite bearable, particularly if the sun is out and there is no wind. My trips to the UK are mostly in March and October. I feel cold most of the time I am there.

The above does not apply to Manitioba, where it is dry but still hideously cold.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

The coldest I have felt since we've been here in Calgary was in September after I was playing field hockey and it rained in bucket-loads the whole game through.

I had nothing dry to put on, but I jumped in my car with the heated seats and the heating turned up high and drove 20 mins home shaking like a leaf with my teeth rattling all the way home. I think it must have been around +16C or so at the time.

I got straight into a hot bath and it was a good half hour before I'd completely thawed out.

Today I was out sweeping snow off our garden path wearing bedroom slippers and bare arms. No problemo. (-8 C and no wind) Dry cold see ?
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:44 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Today I was out sweeping snow off our garden path wearing bedroom slippers and bear arms. No problemo. (-8 C and no wind) Dry cold see ?
Are there other types of slippers?
How did the bear eat his porridge if you wore his arms?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Furry Frank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I remember this one - he used his squirrel.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:45 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Leave me alone, I'm not well .........
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Leave me alone, I'm not well .........
Because you were shovelling snow in bedroom slippers perhaps?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:55 pm
little snowy owl

...is there any other kind?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I see a world where folks are so wealthy that they have slipper for every room. A world where bedroom slippers would be red mules with maribou feathers, kitchen slippers would be sturdier, slip resistant, and waterproof. Dining room slippers would be elegant and understated with perhaps a dramatic colour for the evenings and sitting room slippers would be cosy in a soft supple leather.

So shovelling snow in pink tart tapper heels with maribou feathers would be
extravagant, showy or just plain reckless??? you decide
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
I see a world where folks are so wealthy that they have slipper for every room. A world where bedroom slippers would be red mules with maribou feathers, kitchen slippers would be sturdier, slip resistant, and waterproof. Dining room slippers would be elegant and understated with perhaps a dramatic colour for the evenings and sitting room slippers would be cosy in a soft supple leather.

So shovelling snow in pink tart tapper heels with maribou feathers would be
extravagant, showy or just plain reckless??? you decide
I like to shovel snow in Mrs C's Knickers.

She doesnt appreciate it when she puts them on though.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I like to shovel snow in Mrs C's Knickers.

She doesnt appreciate it when she puts them on though.
Didnt marilyn monroe keep her knickers in the fridge? Some difference - how thoughtful of you