Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sympathy, empathy or tough luck?

Sympathy, empathy or tough luck?

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sympathy, empathy or tough luck?

It amazes me that someone with just a few posts wants to come on here and start picking fights. Have we a troll?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
It amazes me that someone with just a few posts wants to come on here and start picking fights. Have we a troll?
We all have to start somewhere...

and to be fair his style and approach is much better than most
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
We all have to start somewhere...

and to be fair his style and approach is much better than most
He could do with toning down the figjam a notch.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:05 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Basically you are telling someone to misdescribe the use of his tools to avoid paying any duties and taxes lawfully payable on those items.
If somebody solely takes the advice of a complete stranger on the internet to do something illegal or to lie to officials in this context, and they do so and are caught then they're ****ing idiots and deserve no sympathy.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by el_richo
If somebody solely takes the advice of a complete stranger on the internet to do something illegal or to lie to officials in this context, and they do so and are caught then they're ****ing idiots and deserve no sympathy.
if the question was asked seriously then the person who has suggested to do something illegal or lie is a ****er IMO. what's the point in stictching people up over the internet? people must be very sad to state things that they know aren't the truth.

from experience, typically people with high post counts on internet forums have got them through nit picking and squabbling with other posters although this isn't always the case (and these members have usually been made moderators).

reading a forum reguarly for a few days will soon show the people to take advise from and the ones to ignore.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
if the question was asked seriously then the person who has suggested to do something illegal or lie is a ****er IMO. what's the point in stictching people up over the internet? people must be very sad to state things that they know aren't the truth.
What if the stranger giving the advice has actual experience of doing it that way and it worked out for them?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

What if the stranger giving the advice has actual experience of doing it that way and it worked out for them?
You have way too many posts for anything you say to have credence. Shame on you
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But if it doesnt work for them and are now possibly facing sanctions from CBSA its not very helpful in their situation.
Look Im not here to pick fights or get into arguments or name calling with other posters but if that occurs then so be it but that is not my intention.
All I am asking is that posters willing to give advice to new potential arrivals in Canada do it with good information, not dodgy or what could be construed as somewhat illegal.
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that I work for CBSA and that I might end up dealing with that person who is acting on this type of advice and then have to decide what to do with that person.
It could be as simple as a telling off with a verbal warning or having a removal order made against the person depending on the severity of the incident.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

But if it doesnt work for them and are now possibly facing sanctions from CBSA its not very helpful in their situation.
Look Im not here to pick fights or get into arguments or name calling with other posters but if that occurs then so be it but that is not my intention.
All I am asking is that posters willing to give advice to new potential arrivals in Canada do it with good information, not dodgy or what could be construed as somewhat illegal.
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that I work for CBSA and that I might end up dealing with that person who is acting on this type of advice and then have to decide what to do with that person.
It could be as simple as a telling off with a verbal warning or having a removal order made against the person depending on the severity of the incident.
If you are really here just to assist new arrivals in Canada then why not follow the convention on this site, and just about every other message board on the internet. If you see a post that you disagree with, or contains what you consider bad information, add your correction below.

Why all this crap?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:35 pm
Beep

People acting on the advice from a stranger on the internet in this context only have themselves to blame.

What about when a stranger on the internet advises another to take the plunge and move their family to another country without a job lined up and limited experience of the country, purely because it worked out for the stranger? If the move doesn't work out, was the information good or bad?

This is a public forum where "information" is free. Some people will give the good stuff. Some will be incorrect. Some will be taking the piss. Some will be wholly subjective. It's up the the stranger taking this free information to process it and take away what is helpful to them. If they're stupid enough to make life changing decisions based solely on this information and it doesn't work out then i have no sympathy.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But this is a public forum, so of course there's misinformation out there! Nobody here is giving professional advice, we're all just trying to help our fellow forum members, so it is inevitable that there will be things that are wrong sometimes.

As Jonboy has suggested above, if he did erroneously give misinformation then the polite thing to do would be to just correct him, rather than repeatedly needling for no reason - extending the same courtesy as no doubt he would do to you if you inadvertently gave incorrect tax or accounting advice. Please take the time to re-read the Newcomers to the Forum sticky thread (link in my signature for ease) which includes a guide to netiquette.

Thx.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But this is a public forum, so of course there's misinformation out there! Nobody here is giving professional advice, we're all just trying to help our fellow forum members, so it is inevitable that there will be things that are wrong sometimes.

As Jonboy has suggested above, if he did erroneously give misinformation then the polite thing to do would be to just correct him, rather than repeatedly needling for no reason - extending the same courtesy as no doubt he would do to you if you inadvertently gave incorrect tax or accounting advice. Please take the time to re-read the Newcomers to the Forum sticky thread (link in my signature for ease) which includes a guide to netiquette.

Thx.
99% of the postings on this forum consist of just that.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
99% of the postings on this forum consist of just that.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I like that smiley!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:35 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants to have a rant at people who are giving advice to others to do illegal stuff then they should try some of the other Internet forums for wannabe immigrants to Canada.

canadavisa for instance often has posters asking how they can wangle getting into Canada by faking relationships or documents, hiding the fact that they have borrowed the required funds or other dubious practices.

This forum is a model of good behaviour and proper advice by comparison and posters are mindful of what is legal and what isn't when they answer a query.

(Although I do think there is a lot less aggro dished out and less personal abuse on that forum than this one .....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.