Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sympathy, empathy or tough luck?

Sympathy, empathy or tough luck?

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:15 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sympathy, empathy or tough luck?

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
If only they're was a "bite your tongue" smiley.
If there was a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" smiley, you could reduce wear & tear on your keyboard by about 50%.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The taped mouth and fetch my coat ones will just have to do...

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:19 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I read things on here for a long time before I ever posted anything.
In the beginning it was just sympathy or silliness (Say a Harmless Lie about the Previous Poster etc).
Once I had some experience of a couple of things, I posted with that when people asked.
Now my experience is greater, I post when I think I have something to say which might add to the OP's bank of info or comment.

As everyone's circumstances are different, I believe that no one person has the definitive on everything and posters should read as many comments as they can about a topic and use the whole batch to make their comparisons with their own situation.
Whether they then use this to guide their choices or just ignore the whole lot is up to them.

I have sympathy for people who are in a bad situation, whether it is partly or wholly down to their own decisions because everyone can make mistakes.

I can empathise with those whose troubles I have also encountered personally.

I never think "tough luck!" about anyone - why would you when the function is to help people?
But I do sometimes feel confused and frustrated about the way people rush into this without researching it, don't do anything to help themselves and then ask for help when it all goes pear shaped.
I also wonder how some people can expect to be helped when they ask for advice when it is too late for it to be of any use to them.

I always hope the forum (and me as part of it) can prevent other people making the same mistakes that we did or prevent them going through the same worries or upset.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is the sort of thing that I am referring to.

[Edited to add] If you do decide to ship your tools and are going to use them in your trade then you will be charged tax and duty on them, so make sure you describe them as for home use.

I wont name the poster but I guess he or she doesnt really care if the person gets caught misdescribing the goods use to CBSA. They wont be on the hook for any terms of release for the goods if seized or worse case scenario prosecution. Nice way to start your life in a new country and wondering why you always seem to be referred to secondary examination when entering back into Canada.
Trying to save a few bucks can actually cost you more if not being truthful.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This is the sort of thing that I am referring to.

I wont name the poster but I guess he or she doesnt really care if the person gets caught misdescribing the goods use to CBSA. They wont be on the hook for any terms of release for the goods if seized or worse case scenario prosecution. Nice way to start your life in a new country and wondering why you always seem to be referred to secondary examination when entering back into Canada.
Trying to save a few bucks can actually cost you more if not being truthful.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the info is very informative, detailed and of help but there have been times when I have cringed at some of the info or suggestions being given out.
If you read a thread do you sympathiz(s)e, empathiz(s)e or think tough luck? I only ask this as maybe some poor soul will take some of the info on here and arrive in Canada and face being returned because of some ill informed advice they took from these forums.

p.s. you never know what type of Govt worker reads these forums lol.

Does this make it somewhat clearer??????

Basically you are telling someone to misdescribe the use of his tools to avoid paying any duties and taxes lawfully payable on those items.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically you are telling someone to misdescribe the use of his tools to avoid paying any duties and taxes lawfully payable on those items.
That seems reasonable enough, if the border guard makes a fuss then the tool owner will have to pay the tax, if not, he won't, there's no moral case for the tax to be paid so it's worth a try.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:25 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The OP of that thread asked if he should bring his trade tools to Canada or buy new.

I recommended buying new in Canada. I told him he would not be allowed to use his UK tools in his trade but he could bring them for personal use. As such, he would be able to import them as settler's effects under tariff code 9807.00.00. As the tools would be professional quality my advice is for him to make sure he describes them as for personal use.

Any problem with this?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:10 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
There is a certain breed of poster who asks for advice when really they are looking only for validation.

No sympathy with them.
Totally agree
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I recommended buying new in Canada. I told him he would not be allowed to use his UK tools in his trade but he could bring them for personal use. As such, he would be able to import them as settler's effects under tariff code 9807.00.00. As the tools would be professional quality my advice is for him to make sure he describes them as for personal use.

Any problem with this?

No problem with this at all. The problem I had was in the post where you wrote this
[Edited to add] If you do decide to ship your tools and are going to use them in your trade then you will be charged tax and duty on them, so make sure you describe them as for home use.

My interpretation of that is misdescribing the goods for their use.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:13 am
Binned by Muderators

Any problem with this?

No problem with this at all. The problem I had was in the post where you wrote this

My interpretation of that is misdescribing the goods for their use.
Yes, well, taking one sentence out of a post to remove it from context can certainly change its meaning. For example:

get them to send the money instead and buy it here that way you dont end up paying any taxes
My interpretation of this is that you are counseling people to pay cash and avoid sales taxes. Which is a bit naughty for someone who purports to be a Customs Officer.

Last edited by JonboyE; Nov 23rd 2011 at 3:45 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:01 am
Binned by Muderators

In fact I consider your accusation unfounded and very offensive.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I admit that I wrote the following
get them to send the money instead and buy it here that way you dont end up paying any taxes

If you read the thread that was posted in we are referring to gifts being sent.
As we all know that any one gift cannot exceed the $60 Cad limit. So if Auntie Doris was to send the PS3 lets say valued at $300 Cad then the recipient could be on the hook for paying the applicable taxes on $240 Cad.
A slight difference one could say but hey you read into it what you want.

As for the accusation well take that how you will your choice but the sentence was in your words not mine.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:05 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

personally I find it difficult to follow threads when quotes are not used in context

If quoting, then it is easier to follow if either the full quote is used & the text highlighted that the comment is about, or at least keep the name of the poster quoted as when in the same thread they can be found easily

It reminds me of an old advert for the grondiad about needing to see the full picture

I use BE to see what other people have experienced & the opinions held, just like trip advisor / amazon reviews. Conflicting views & opinions are held on the same thing on BE, just as they are on those.

It is also really useful as people help by pointing to more formal links for info.

Whilst no one can prevent a reader confusing BE for something more formal than it is, BE & its posters can hardly be blamed for that, unless someone overtly states that is professional advice & I am not sure I have ever seen that.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:13 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. you never know what type of Govt worker reads these forums lol.

The cynic in me will aways wonder if this was prompted by a topic about paying $10,000 dollars for a visa, and the ins and outs of jumping the border??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.