Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A Swimming Pool ~ Wonderful Idea!! Now what??

A Swimming Pool ~ Wonderful Idea!! Now what??

Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Swimming Pool ~ Wonderful Idea!! Now what??

Originally Posted by ann m
What happens in the winter guys? I'm presuming the pool needs to be either completely emptied or the water levels reduced? Otherwise I am presuming freezing might cause splitting of the structure? It's surely cold enough in all parts of Canada that that volume of water could freeze pretty quickly and stay frozen. Do you "blow out" all the pipework like the garden irrigation systems here?

(could it be an ice rink? ).

We had a pool in the UK which was great fun, but a considerable amount of work and expense and I don't think I'd ever willingly repeat the experience.

But there is something so fantastic about leaping into your own pool on a gorgeous day
Pools in most, probabably all, of Canada have to be closed down for the winter. The water level is dropped below the skimmer level, the water is heavily chemicalized, the pipes should be blown dry and a winter cover is placed over it with some water placed in cover to prevent it blowing up in high winds. Cover can be held down with water bags or whatever means do it for the pool owner. Some "experts" suggest protecting the equipment with tarpaulin and others contend doing that encourages rust in the filter/motor/heater.
No, too unstable for an ice rink.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

The pool just has to be drained to below the skimmer and water lines. Then they put anti-freeze into the lines and you are good to go for the winter. In the spring you just top up the water again.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:05 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purley
The pool just has to be drained to below the skimmer and water lines. Then they put anti-freeze into the lines and you are good to go for the winter. In the spring you just top up the water again.
If only it were that simple. Your way would put all the pool opening/closing guys out of business.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Purley
Except if you live in the lower mainland of BC, you just set the heat low enough to keep the water from freezing, and when you are feeling really flush re-heat the pool for New Years Day.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:46 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Squirrel's seem to regularly commit suicide in the pool, as do other occasional vermin, one of the hazards of living by a river. I seem to spend a lot of time pulling small dead things out of the water.
I found a dead baby bird in the skimmer basket the other day, that was a nice surprise! Not had any critters as yet though....
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I removed one cat and two foxes in the UK - all deceased. Obviously couldn't find the steps out. An numerous frogs that probably didn't fare very well after a night in chlorine

When we finally dismantled the pool before we sold the house (as it was a complete eyesore and not exactly an asset), I think we killed off a complete eco system. Seriously!

I'm not proud of these pictures, but it shows you what happens after a pool gets old (about 25 yrs) and is then neglected for 2 years ...
Attached Thumbnails A Swimming Pool ~ Wonderful Idea!! Now what??-garden5.jpg   A Swimming Pool ~ Wonderful Idea!! Now what??-garden10-jul-06.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha

Water has cleared ~ The local pool shops were shut Saturday afternoon so we just kinda left it........ And it's all gone clear.

Mmmmmm now just have to work out what a Ph is and why or when we need this calcium stuff (not sure my pool needs strong bones tho)
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Hiya

Which pool company in Kingston did you use? PM if you don't want to name them publicly!
We have used aqua bay in Kingston - they tested our water from a sample that we took to them - very helpful and quite reasonable in price.

Another of the Kingston companies sold me a whole box of stuff which apparently I didn't need - so felt a bit peed off with them - felt they were taking advantage of knowing nothing about pools....
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:35 pm
Banned

I will tell you my experiences after 25 years of having a pool and you can take from it what you will.
1) Pool stores are usually expensive for chemicals. They have to make their year in 5 months. The products sold by Canadian Tire I've found to be as good and consideably cheaper.
2) Buy some chlorine pucks, a container of Shock and a container of Alkilinity Plus. Some people place the puck(s) in the skimmer. I put mine in a floating puck container and it floats all over the pool. I think you said you pool is above-ground, so make sure you buy compatible products.
3) Shock the pool after heavy usage or after a heay rainstorm and at least once a week.
4) Buy a testing kit. I use the strips that give the necessary four readings. Test every two days to head off any problems.
5) I assume your pool came with a vacuum. Vacuum every week and backwash the guck out. Better still, if you can afford it, buy a Kreepy Krawly device (there are numerous types), and backwash at least weekly. It keeps the pool clean all the time and cuts down on your maintenance.
6) You do not need to run your motor 24/7. I run mine at night when hydro is less expensive.

It is not a lot of work if you attend to these things. The heavy work happens if you neglect things then you'll have lots of problems.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:08 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I've been quite surprised by the amount of people that have pools - did some of you start off with the tempary above ground things to see how much use you would get or did you just go for it???

I'm only slightly envious I suppose we'll have to swim in the local lake
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I've been quite surprised by the amount of people that have pools - did some of you start off with the tempary above ground things to see how much use you would get or did you just go for it???

In my case the inground pool was already installed when I bought the house. Didn't really want a pool but SWMBO liked the house, hence why I have a pool. IMO pools are great when you have kids in the 3-12 years old range. They can spend all day going in and out and usually have a great time. After 12 kids begin to develop other agendas and the use of the pool declines from then on. Mine is totally fenced off from the rest of the garden for safety reasons and that is recommended. It is eye appealing during the summer with proper landscaping and somewhat ugly in winter when closed up.
I don't find it expensive on a day-to-day basis but things wear out and have to be replaced such as motors, filters, liners and heaters. Amortized in my case over 25 years, probably $800 per year.
We hold 3-4 pool parties each year and people have great fun but I seldom go into it, usually only to clean the sides. I have given thought to permanently closing it at a cost of $7/8000 but as long as I'm able to manage the work I will defer that move.
Don't be too envious, it's not all peaches and cream.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

I'm not sure that above ground pools are a temporary pool ~ For us, spending $3000 for the pool plus instulation, water, landscaping etc was a better option than $35,000 for an inground pool (or alot more if you wish) plus all the bits and pieces.

I'm sure we will make use of the pool, and now 2 weeks on we have a better understanding of the terms and what to do about it.... On the sub division where we live there are alot of pools mostly above ground. I believe also it is less work to "close" and "open" an above ground pool.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
I'm not sure that above ground pools are a temporary pool ~ For us, spending $3000 for the pool plus instulation, water, landscaping etc was a better option than $35,000 for an inground pool (or alot more if you wish) plus all the bits and pieces.

I'm sure we will make use of the pool, and now 2 weeks on we have a better understanding of the terms and what to do about it.... On the sub division where we live there are alot of pools mostly above ground. I believe also it is less work to "close" and "open" an above ground pool.
Oh! I wasn't saying an above ground pool was a temporary one - I meant those blue things you buy from walmart or suchlike for around $300-500, you know the ones that appear at the 1st sign of sun and disappear after Labour Day. I think it's interesting see how many out there have a permanent pool as around here there are very few, I can think of two houses in town that have pools and they are both indoor pools.

Old Yin, I hear what your saying. My only kid is 14 and she hasn't even asked for a 'Blue Walmart' pool for 2 years. We have contemplated a hot tub over the last 4 years but neither of us like the bubbles and the noise they make very much, so I guess just looking at the lake and the occasional swim in it will be perfect for us. I'm also guessing we'll take our 1st swim in it next week when we try canoeing for the 1st time.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:14 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

It's heaving with pools around here - take a look at this, give up counting them when you get bored

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...06899&t=h&z=17
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by G77
It's heaving with pools around here - take a look at this, give up counting them when you get bored

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...06899&t=h&z=17
WOW!