Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Swapping UK license for Canadian one

Swapping UK license for Canadian one

Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

beaglette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swapping UK license for Canadian one

Bit of an odd one here, but here goes anyway. We have just relocated to Connecticut (US) and I am going through a driving license nightmare as they have no reciprocity with the UK - I would have to do an 8 hour drugs and alcohol pre-test course, then written and road tests, and given the fact that I have very small children to look after it is not seeming very practical at the moment. I can however exchange a Canadian license for a US one, so my question is whether getting a Canadian license (Ontario) is as easy as it sounds - i.e turn up, pay, show id and do a vision test? Or would I need to prove that I have immigrated there? I can give an address to ship the license to in Canada as we have friends there, but it all sounds a little too easy - am I missing something? Wouldn't want to do anything illegal - bad enough driving round here on my UK license, even though lots of people have assured me it is no big deal! Many thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping UK license for Canadian one

Originally Posted by beaglette
Bit of an odd one here, but here goes anyway. We have just relocated to Connecticut (US) and I am going through a driving license nightmare as they have no reciprocity with the UK - I would have to do an 8 hour drugs and alcohol pre-test course, then written and road tests, and given the fact that I have very small children to look after it is not seeming very practical at the moment. I can however exchange a Canadian license for a US one, so my question is whether getting a Canadian license (Ontario) is as easy as it sounds - i.e turn up, pay, show id and do a vision test? Or would I need to prove that I have immigrated there? I can give an address to ship the license to in Canada as we havhttp://britishexpats.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=9090013e friends there, but it all sounds a little too easy - am I missing something? Wouldn't want to do anything illegal - bad enough driving round here on my UK license, even though lots of people have assured me it is no big deal! Many thanks.
Don't know about Ontario, but in BC I think you need to have some Canadian government issued ID to show when exchanging your license.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:09 am
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't know about Ontario, but in BC I think you need to have some Canadian government issued ID to show when exchanging your license.
Agreed. As far as I'm aware, you can only get a BC licence if you are PR, on a TWP or study permit. I enquired in March 2010 at the Kamloops ICBC office about this whilst on holiday and that was what I was told. I would imagine that it's the same or similar in Ontario.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leggy969
Agreed. As far as I'm aware, you can only get a BC licence if you are PR, on a TWP or study permit. I enquired in March 2010 at the Kamloops ICBC office about this whilst on holiday and that was what I was told. I would imagine that it's the same or similar in Ontario.
I'm pretty sure the same applies in Ontario, although I can't find anything that explicitly states this on their website
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:21 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

we had to show our COPRs ( confirmation of PR) before getting our licenses
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

beaglette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Bother then. Looks like it WAS too good to be true! Hate it when my OH is right :-) Many thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:00 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Have to change my licence too. Do you have to take passport sized photo's with you or do they take one there and then?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

they take them there and then
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:06 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

they take them there and then
Thanks Zoe - I thought so.