Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sussex area, New Brunswick

Sussex area, New Brunswick

Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice
Default Sussex area, New Brunswick

Does anyone or know anyone that lives in or around Sussex area, I just wondered if they would mind posting some advice and experainces of living there. It looks a lovely.I have 4 young children from 10 yrs to 4 months so would it be a suitable area for kids aswell or is it to far from activities.
Is it far from Moncton and Saint John? I know you can look on a map and see , but that doesnt give you an idea on traffic at rush hour,just like the sat nav, through London in 20 mins?, Yeah right at 3 am maybe, notice how destination time keeps moving
Is the road netwrok good around there? Highway 1?

maybe jumping the gun, gotta get the job offer yet

Thanx all
Chris
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:34 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sussex area, New Brunswick

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Does anyone or know anyone that lives in or around Sussex area, I just wondered if they would mind posting some advice and experainces of living there. It looks a lovely.I have 4 young children from 10 yrs to 4 months so would it be a suitable area for kids aswell or is it to far from activities.
Is it far from Moncton and Saint John? I know you can look on a map and see , but that doesnt give you an idea on traffic at rush hour,just like the sat nav, through London in 20 mins?, Yeah right at 3 am maybe, notice how destination time keeps moving
Is the road netwrok good around there? Highway 1?

maybe jumping the gun, gotta get the job offer yet

Thanx all
Chris
pm rugbymatt
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hi Chris,

We did our reccie last month to Nova Scotia, but we did the 6+ hours drive from where we where staying in NS all the way through to St Stephen and Woodstock along Highway 2 !! There wasn`t much traffic on the roads at all.

We didn`t venture into Sussex but if, what we saw of the parts we visited, it looked very nice. We found the locals to be very friendly, where willing to put themselves out for us - to the extent that one couple said we could stay over night with them - bless!

If you would like anymore info about our travels in NB, them please feel free to pm anytime?

Best Wishes
Sue
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris

We got back from our recci to Moncton, 2 days ago. I wasnt to impressed thb, I will post about it on here soon, but we went to Sussex for 2 days because we went to Poley mountain. It's a bit of a one road town and the mall is very small.

Doyou have facebook ? I have put loads of photos on line there, as for driving zzzzzzzzzzzz. get to 65 put cruise control on and go to sleep.

St John is older but more industry, Moncton is better, but Fredrickton is a bit of a dive tbh.

Que all the NB posters saying how wrong i am, well they should wait for my full posting, OMG they will end up hunting me down
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bobstevens
Hi Chris
St John is older but more industry, Moncton is better, but Fredrickton is a bit of a dive tbh.
We have friends in Fredricton and my wife's fathers family are from Moncton and I can tell you which one I would prefer...F Town wins hands down.

Having said all that our friends in F town insisted on us going with them to St John for a dinner to a Thai restaurant. All 3 of the places are lacking in big city sophistication. Fredricton struck me as very family friendly.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:25 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Hi Chris

We got back from our recci to Moncton, 2 days ago. I wasnt to impressed thb, I will post about it on here soon, but we went to Sussex for 2 days because we went to Poley mountain. It's a bit of a one road town and the mall is very small.

Doyou have facebook ? I have put loads of photos on line there, as for driving zzzzzzzzzzzz. get to 65 put cruise control on and go to sleep.

Que all the NB posters saying how wrong i am, well they should wait for my full posting, OMG they will end up hunting me down
Weather/time of year can make a huge difference to opinions, well it does to me anyway. We live in near Gagetown but go to Fredericton often, which I love. When I did my reccie trip Saint John was cloudy, foggy and drizzling - I thought it was grim. Go there on a nice sunny day though and its completely different.

Fredericton in Summer/Fall is great. Bars/restaurants with outside seating, lots of people around, jogging/cycling along the river, etc. In winter downtown Fredericton seems very quiet to me, summer and fall its a different place.

I cannot really comment on Moncton, I've spent about 3 full days there and done about 3 shopping trips since. Its a bit spread out for me.

My worst time of the year is spring as the snow melts and the dead grass starts showing. Everywhere looks dead and grey. I love winter though, a think sunny days with snow everywhere is great.

Just my two pence (cents) worth.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 3:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to it.

I only had a half day in Fredericton...it seemed nice enough. In terms of sightseeing, cafes, relaxation etc it has more than Moncton.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Weren't you seriously considering a move to Buffalo, USA? If you were thinking that wasn't a dive, then your perspective is slightly eccentric.

Hi Chris

Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Weren't you seriously considering a move to Buffalo, USA? If you were thinking that wasn't a dive, then your perspective is slightly eccentric.
If the OP thought Fredricton was a dive, then imho Buffalo would be a mega dive. Buffalo is a real rust belt city with the actual city itself on hard times with population loss, declining industries and very defined neighbourhoods based on race and then the suburbs stretch for ever without any cohesiveness.

However, Fredricton doesn't have Tops Friendly Markets, Carvel ice cream, Super Duper supermarkets or the Anchor Bar and grill
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tF0ScmmV_uU
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clynnog
If the OP thought Fredricton was a dive, then imho Buffalo would be a mega dive. Buffalo is a real rust belt city with the actual city itself on hard times with population loss, declining industries and very defined neighbourhoods based on race and then the suburbs stretch for ever without any cohesiveness.
Exactly my point. Which is why I'm slightly puzzled on his attraction to Buffalo compared to Fredericton.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your point in posting this to prove what? It is winter - what would you expect?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Exactly my point. Which is why I'm slightly puzzled on his attraction to Buffalo compared to Fredericton.

WTF. Someone ask a question about Sussex and the area. I gave my opition. So you dont like, so what, who care about Buffalo !!!!!!!!! Why not just answer his question or you can simply put read the wiki like you always do !!!!!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Your point in posting this to prove what? It is winter - what would you expect?
Because RETARD, he asked about driving, I was there last week, and I took some video, so I was helping the guy out, or would you sooner I put read the WIKI
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Planning a reccie visit in late April/early May to New Brunswick/Nova Scotia (specifically Fredericton, Moncton & Halifax).

Anyone have any experiences (good/bad) of flying to Boston (Virgin) and then driving up? (Weather/traffic any other tips). We would probably have a night in Boston and a brief tour there as well to split it up.

We are going to try and get some holiday type accommodation (somewhere between Fredericton and Moncton) - does this type of thing exist? Or is it hotels only? Any recommendations?

Your intelligent responses appreciated...

You know what, that is what we did, flew in to boston the drove up, you have asked for recommendations ? why ? you seem to know about the area already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.