Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

survey on house - do I tell them about Canada?

survey on house - do I tell them about Canada?

Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Dave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really nice
Default survey on house - do I tell them about Canada?

Right,

: frown:

We are due to exchange contracts this week, the buyers had their mortgage approved and all queries answered, then they decide to do another survey because the original cheaper one said the roof felting was "near the end of it's life" which worst case is about £50-£80 of materials and do it yourself or pay someone to do it. Survey being done tomorrow with the buyer present aswell.

Not sure if they know about us moving to Canada (hopefully on 5th Feb) should I tell them and that we're on a deadline and to pull their finger out or just smile sweetly and say nothing? They are a young couple from what I can tell and I think it's their first home. We sold for £40000 less than we hoped for, it's a 4 bed semi in Devon and they bought it for the same price as a 3 bed terrace locally. Don't know if they're doing another survey to try and screw us even more on the price??

Thing is we need the sale to release funds to go, and I left my job already as there were redundancies and the sale was going through at the time.

STRESS

Ramble over, did anyone else tell their buyers about their move? I'm not sure if the estate agent let it slip the way they are acting

Dave
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: survey on house - do I tell them about Canada?

Originally Posted by Dave-april
Right,

We are due to exchange contracts this week, the buyers had their mortgage approved and all queries answered, then they decide to do another survey because the original cheaper one said the roof felting was "near the end of it's life" which worst case is about £50-£80 of materials and do it yourself or pay someone to do it. Survey being done tomorrow with the buyer present aswell.

Not sure if they know about us moving to Canada (hopefully on 5th Feb) should I tell them and that we're on a deadline and to pull their finger out or just smile sweetly and say nothing? They are a young couple from what I can tell and I think it's their first home. We sold for £40000 less than we hoped for, it's a 4 bed semi in Devon and they bought it for the same price as a 3 bed terrace locally. Don't know if they're doing another survey to try and screw us even more on the price??

Thing is we need the sale to release funds to go, and I left my job already as there were redundancies and the sale was going through at the time.

STRESS

Ramble over, did anyone else tell their buyers about their move? I'm not sure if the estate agent let it slip the way they are acting

Dave
I wouldn't tell them you're leaving. We never did, we didn't even tell our estate agent.
It would just make you look desperate and give them the upper hand (which they probably have anyway given the current climate) but they don't need it re-inforced.

Make your estate agent work for you and tell him you want it all tied up in the next week or you'll put it back on the market with another agent. Bit of a gamble i know but force them into a corner.

Good luck!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Don't tell them. All it will do is give them a stick to beat you with.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:02 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with above, good luck for tomorrow, have faith, it will all be ok
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No don't say a word unless you want them to reduce their offer.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Dave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really niceDave-april is just really nice

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies,

Mums the word

If they do back out I will hunt them down

Our containers booked for next thursday so hopefully all be OK

If not I'll be on here rambling again tomorrow

Dave
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

celtic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies,

Mums the word

If they do back out I will hunt them down

Our containers booked for next thursday so hopefully all be OK

If not I'll be on here rambling again tomorrow

Dave

Good luck dave, I'm sure all will be well !
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely say nothing.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

its none of their business and gives them more power.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave and April,

As per all the other replies....don't say anything that gives the other party more leverage.

Good luck,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for nosy neighbours who see a surveyor etc and "chat" with them :curse:
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:16 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Not sure if they know about us moving to Canada (hopefully on 5th Feb) should I tell them and that we're on a deadline and to pull their finger out
Nope. It's far more likely to be used against you by the buyer or the agent. I had this exact situation. They waited for me to emigrate then wasted my time for 3 months before weaseling out. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and certainly not anyone on this forum. It stressed me so badly that I didn't stay in my first job in Canada for very long. Well this all played a big part.

Don't tell 'em nothin'
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:45 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Right,

STRESS

Dave
I would say nothing and keep your "poker" face on.

If they know you have to sell by a deadline they may use it to "gazunder" you.

I would not tell your agent either as they will be doing all they can to try and keep the deal togethar in the current climate already.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like enough people haven't said it already but absolutely don't tell them. We were stupid enough to this back in 2004 when the market was still rising and our buyers used every opportunity to get the price down.

With the benefit of hindsight I wish I'd told them where to go and found another buyer but instead being desperate to leave and complete the sale we allowed them to drop the price by a small amount a couple of times during the drawn out sale procedure that is England. I can only imagine with the market now on it's way down that knowledge of moving to Canada would just be a buyers dream for even more leverage on getting the price down.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Some of our viewers seemed to "know" that we are emigrating - small town etc - but I just casually said that "we dont have to sell to go, we will just leave it for sale".
This seems to have pre emted us getting any daft offers.
Have accepted an offer and now just playing waiting game of these damn house chains.
Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.