Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Surrey, Langley, Mapple Ridge...

Surrey, Langley, Mapple Ridge...

Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

lipards is on a distinguished road
Default Surrey, Langley, Mapple Ridge...

These places are about the same 20-30 miles away from downtown Vancouver, property price are pretty much the same as well, so which is a better place to live? your opinion? Thanks.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surrey, Langley, Mapple Ridge...

Originally Posted by lipards
These places are about the same 20-30 miles away from downtown Vancouver, property price are pretty much the same as well, so which is a better place to live? your opinion? Thanks.
Both places are very different from each other, so you would need to be more specific on what you are looking for.

If I were picking the place based on my needs I would pick Langley, based on the three you name. Other places in the area are worth a look i.e. Aldergrove, White Rock, Ladner, Tsawwassen and Delta, these also fit your 20-30 miles from Vancouver scenario.

I don't think the data you have regarding house prices is correct, as there is a large variation in price between these areas and also within these areas.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 6:06 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Maple Ridge does have the West Coast Express (therefore easier to commute to downtown vancouver)

Clare
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

I guess Tsawwassen, Delta area are nice, since the house price is very high there, way over my budget...
I don't really care the commute, I need affordable price and decent live style/environment...so, Langley could be the best for me?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:16 am
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future

I watch the Channel 9 BC CTV News via the Internet a lot CTV NEWS BC and Surrey is rarely out of the headlines for all the wrong reasons! Have visited Langley and Maple Ridge on research trips and really liked Maple Ridge. It's seems a bit closer to nature than Langley and friends of ours who live there have seen bears in their garden, despite living well inside the built up area. Maple Ridge is also very close to Alouette lake which is very pretty inside the Golden Ears provincial park, the mountains there also make a lovely back drop. Out of the three Maple Ridge would be my choice!
However if you are prepared to move a further 10 miles further out East Side Abbotsford will get you much more house for your money!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:33 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

I've lived in Maple Ridge for 30 years, so I'm a bit biased. Great outdoors, lovely scenery. But the town is growing a bit too fast so we have urban sprawl. The lower house prices brings more people, of course. It rains more here because we are so close to the mountains. I commute to downtown Vancouver on the West Coast Express. Otherwise, traffic can be a nightmare. But overall, I still love it here.

Langley has even more sprawl - way too busy for my liking. I only go to Surrey if I have to. I started out there when we first emigrated. No way would I live there again. Unless you can afford to live in one of the more affluent area. Abbotsford has crime issues and a very big east Indian population, like Surrey. Otherwise, house prices there are a bit more attractive.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be misled by the house price shown on the Internet (if that is where you are looking), I purchased my property for 15% under the asking price shown on mls.ca, I am sure other people can also tell the same story.

Try using the google maps (satellite images - http://maps.google.com/), this will show you what some areas look like and you can even get close enough to check out neighbourhoods. Also load Google earth (http://earth.google.com/) this has some great feature for checking areas out.

Would I live in Surrey, No. Would I live in Langley, Yes. Would I live in Maple Ridge, no idea I have only been there once, and it rained.

I said earlier you probably need to specify what you are looking for, because all these place are very different. If you like being near the sea Maple Ridge is not the place to be, if you like being near the mountains Maple Ridge is the place for you.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

OK. I have decided that I will visit these areas earlier next year. And if we like the place, we'd like to purchase a townhouse.
The problem is I have 2 weeks only, is it all possible? Any good suggestion? and, of course, good realtor?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:57 pm
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future

OK. I have decided that I will visit these areas earlier next year. And if we like the place, we'd like to purchase a townhouse.
The problem is I have 2 weeks only, is it all possible? Any good suggestion? and, of course, good realtor?
lipards,
We managed it in 5 days! Started before we got there asking our relator to send us properties to look at over the internet. Then when we got going on the Monday morning. By Monday afternoon we had seen the house we wanted. By that evening we had put an offer in and been accepted. There were a few 'subject to's' including satisfactory house inspection and us getting a mortgage which were ALL lifted by Friday morning same week! Flew home Saturday with new house! Make sure you get a mortgage offer before going out there, it make your buying position stronger.
We used realtor Sandy Ennis in Abbotsford, she was fantastic and has helped a few Brits. She comes highly recommended:
Sandy Ennis Remax Link

Best of luck!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saund_cp
lipards,
We managed it in 5 days! Started before we got there asking our relator to send us properties to look at over the internet. Then when we got going on the Monday morning. By Monday afternoon we had seen the house we wanted. By that evening we had put an offer in and been accepted. There were a few 'subject to's' including satisfactory house inspection and us getting a mortgage which were ALL lifted by Friday morning same week! Flew home Saturday with new house! Make sure you get a mortgage offer before going out there, it make your buying position stronger.
We used realtor Sandy Ennis in Abbotsford, she was fantastic and has helped a few Brits. She comes highly recommended:
Sandy Ennis Remax Link

Best of luck!
This is cool. You're lucky
I have browsed the link, she is probably for Abbotsford area only, but I will send her some enquiry first. Thanks.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:07 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I throughly recommend Jeanie Fox - ex Brit - works/lives in Maple Ridge.

Her email is [email protected]

but she is going back to Britian for the holidays so won't be around until next month.

All the best
Clare