Surrey BC

Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:59 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Surrey BC

Can anyone tell me what Surrey is like? There's a job there that may suit, but we'd not really planned on BC so far.

What's the weather like, what sort of area is it? I've looked at the Surrey town site, but cannot really get a feel for the place.

Anyone live near there, or been there, able to give me the lowdown on it please?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:05 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surrey BC

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Can anyone tell me what Surrey is like? There's a job there that may suit, but we'd not really planned on BC so far.

What's the weather like, what sort of area is it? I've looked at the Surrey town site, but cannot really get a feel for the place.

Anyone live near there, or been there, able to give me the lowdown on it please?
Surrey is a hard area to describe. I've never lived there but have been there and through it many times. I can't offer you the lowdown but I offer what I know. Positives; there are some very nice areas of Surrey, it's only 30-45 mins to downtown Vancouver, some parts have a very nice, laid back feel (which is to my tastes) as it's fairly agricultural. Cheap, fresh local produce.

The weather I'm guessing, is likely typical west coast weather: winter = overcast, cool and constant drizzly and rain and summer = dry, sunny and hot.

The negatives; Surrey's reputation. 'Surrey jokes' abound, like:

What does a Surrey Girl use for protection during sex?
- A bus stop shelter.

Why do the birds fly upside down when they pass through Surrey?
- There's nothing worth shitting on.

and also by news items like this:

"Surrey launches anti-car theft campaign
Last updated Feb 16 2004 06:36 PM PST
CBC News

VANCOUVER – Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum handed out steering-wheel locks at a SkyTrain station parking lot Monday morning as part of a new effort to put the brakes on the city's soaring rate of auto theft.

Surrey made headlines two years back as the car theft capital of North America.

Since then, the situation has worsened – and Surrey now has the highest rate of auto crime in the English-speaking world.

Last year, more than 8,000 cars were stolen in the fast-growing Vancouver suburb. That's nearly twice the car-theft rate of the worst U.S., British and and Australian cities.

Mayor McCallum says handing out steering-wheel clubs is only part of Surrey's effort to turn things around.

McCallum says he also wants more police surveillance in high-crime areas – plus bait cars, public education, and tougher sentencing of car thieves.

The city will also hold a public forum this Wednesday to get public suggestions on how to cut auto theft by 30 per cent by the end of the year."

---

Since that news story the rate of theft has apparently gone down. <?>

There are a lot of social problems in Surrey though probably not more than any other city (well except the car theft problem stands as an exception!) but people in BC make stronger associations between Surrey and crime etc... than most other cities in the greater Vancouver/Fraser Valley area because it's an easy target (it's not terribly affluent, it's agricultural, large 'ethnic' population). Popular notions often don't reflect reality. That said, from my experience, the redneck ratio is pretty high in Surrey and the Fraser Valley in general - almost worse than in some areas of Alberta . Without the rednecks, Surrey would be a nicer place to live, that's for sure.

If you had to answer yes or no to advising you to living there? I'd say no. But I definitely wouldn't rule out working in Surrey and living elsewhere. That would be an option I'd consider unless Surrey's changed since I've been there last.

Sorry, not a very informative answer!

Have you ever been to BC?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

A joke thread of sorts.

Question:
If your wife catches you wanking on a bus does she....

A) Claim that you are not paying her enough attention?

B) Insist that you see a doctor

C) Ask you to move to another seat
Old Jun 11th 2005, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
A joke thread of sorts.

Question:
If your wife catches you wanking on a bus does she....

A) Claim that you are not paying her enough attention?

B) Insist that you see a doctor

C) Ask you to move to another seat

but to answer your question, I'd be more bothered by the fact that I have a wife!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

but to answer your question, I'd be more bothered by the fact that I have a wife!
Sorry. Bad taste. Someone told me it this morning and it should have been forgotten!

Yes sorry Maam!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Sorry. Bad taste.
Not in my opinion but I was a bit confused by it!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:14 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Work there - don't live there. I lived in Surrey for a while; I liked the accessibility of the Skytrain, but er....not a whole lot else.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in Vancouver for 3 years. I know Surrey. They even have Guildford in the middel of it.Do not be deceived by names. It's Vancouvers answe to North Peckham or North Acton (in London) I would live somewhere further out and commute.
Best of Luck
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:56 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

mmmm ok thanks guys ...... I did have a vague disquiet about the place, though I couldn't actually say why! I think we'll prolly stick to plan A (Calgary) if we can !
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:00 pm
little snowy owl

Have you ever been to BC?
Only for a couple of days in Victoria, Vancouver Island, which was lovely, but I didn't feel we'd want to live there!!!

Did the whale watching etc, and thought the harbour very pretty.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:22 pm

and also by news items like this:

"Surrey launches anti-car theft campaign
Last updated Feb 16 2004 06:36 PM PST
CBC News

VANCOUVER – Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum handed out steering-wheel locks at a SkyTrain station parking lot Monday morning as part of a new effort to put the brakes on the city's soaring rate of auto theft.

Surrey made headlines two years back as the car theft capital of North America.

Since then, the situation has worsened – and Surrey now has the highest rate of auto crime in the English-speaking world.

Last year, more than 8,000 cars were stolen in the fast-growing Vancouver suburb. That's nearly twice the car-theft rate of the worst U.S., British and and Australian cities.

Mayor McCallum says handing out steering-wheel clubs is only part of Surrey's effort to turn things around.

McCallum says he also wants more police surveillance in high-crime areas – plus bait cars, public education, and tougher sentencing of car thieves.

The city will also hold a public forum this Wednesday to get public suggestions on how to cut auto theft by 30 per cent by the end of the year."
I was just catching up on west coast news - reading about bait cars and car theft as it was in the news recently.
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/ser...it-car20050614

And then watched a video, recorded from a bait car, of a seriously *****ed up dude.
http://www.baitcar.com/videos/oncoming

Well, that cured the homesickness!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:39 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

I was just catching up on west coast news - reading about bait cars and car theft as it was in the news recently.
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/ser...it-car20050614

And then watched a video, recorded from a bait car, of a seriously *****ed up dude.
http://www.baitcar.com/videos/oncoming

Well, that cured the homesickness!
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't BC people tell jokes about Surrey girls? Sorta like Essex girls in the UK.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the Newton area of Surrey. It`s not the best place in Surrey but a strategically good location for me. White Rock is not very far which is one of the best place in the loweer mainland. Guildford is just 5 mins drive.
The problem I guess is the schools for kids because of the high crime rate, it also affects the behaviour of the students. Whalley area is the worst that I could think of, that is where the last 2 stops of the skytrain (Surrey Central and King George`s Station).

Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Iginla
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't BC people tell jokes about Surrey girls? Sorta like Essex girls in the UK.
Yes.

What's the difference between a Surrey Girl and CBC radio?
- Only 40% of B.C can pick up the CBC.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:32 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

What's the difference between a Surrey Girl and CBC radio?
- Only 40% of B.C can pick up the CBC.
More!

http://www.thealders.net/humour/ethnic/eth51.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.