Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Summer camp jobs / temporary jobs for UK citizens

Summer camp jobs / temporary jobs for UK citizens

Old May 10th 2010, 11:35 am
Just Joined

1ManRiot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer camp jobs / temporary jobs for UK citizens??

Good day BExers!

My long-term plan is to live in Canada, but my more immediate query is to do with living and working over there for a few months this summer.

Are there any resources out there aimed at me (a UK citizen) wanting a summer job in Canada?

I'm looking at the lower west coast, Vancouver/Surrey way.

I'd like to work at a summer camp or something, maybe a soccer school, ideally something aimed at international employees with accommodation on-site.

I've looked on the Job Bank website and emailed a couple of people but not had any job so far, bit stuck as to where exactly to look?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm M/26 by the way.

Last edited by 1ManRiot; May 10th 2010 at 12:49 pm. Reason: Added question mark to title
Old May 10th 2010, 11:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer camp jobs / temporary jobs for UK citizens

Originally Posted by 1ManRiot
Good day BExers!

My long-term plan is to live in Canada, but my more immediate query is to do with living and working over there for a few months this summer.

Are there any resources out there aimed at me (a UK citizen) wanting a summer job in Canada?

I'm looking at the lower west coast, Vancouver/Surrey way.

I'd like to work at a summer camp or something, maybe a soccer school, ideally something aimed at international employees with accommodation on-site.

I've looked on the Job Bank website and emailed a couple of people but not had any job so far, bit stuck as to where exactly to look?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm M/26 by the way.
As you're under 30, you're eligible for Bunac (just Google it) which would give you a one year open work permit for Canada. That's going to be far and away your easiest option to get over there, although the program has closed for this year, but you can apply for next years from December onwards.

And for job hunting advice, have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at the top of the page) which will explain how to go about finding a job in Canada - just emailing is not enough I'm afraid!

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
Old May 10th 2010, 11:56 am
Just Joined

That's great thanks, I'll have a good look through that and come back with any questions!
Old May 10th 2010, 12:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Summer camp jobs are highly sought-after by locals. You'll find it hard to get one, I think.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Souvy
Summer camp jobs are highly sought-after by locals. You'll find it hard to get one, I think.
Urgh thats no good!

I want to get some kind of work and life experience in Canada to see if I genuinely want to emigrate one day.... not even that bothered what sort of work it is at the moment!

I have no ties in the UK, only thing I'd be giving up is a low-paid 9-5 job.

Unfortunately I don't have a trade as of yet, just a handful of different (but not particularly high-scoring) qualifications.

I presume for a Canadian company to offer me a job (temporary or permanent), it has to be approved by the labour market shortage people? Not as simple as having a word in a few ears and getting an offer (through friends of friends)?

I guess I'm stuck just visiting for the time being aren't I?

(note: I've never actually even been yet, but I'm in limbo at the moment and was hoping to pack up and work there for a bit to try it out)
Old May 10th 2010, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1ManRiot
I presume for a Canadian company to offer me a job (temporary or permanent), it has to be approved by the labour market shortage people? Not as simple as having a word in a few ears and getting an offer (through friends of friends)?
Yes, unless you go via Bunac. Bunac is an open work permit, so you can do any job on it, and don't require a LMO first.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, unless you go via Bunac. Bunac is an open work permit, so you can do any job on it, and don't require a LMO first.
Bunac it is then!
Old May 10th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Good stuff.

I came on a BUNAC visa and been here for 6 years last Tuesday!

Its well worth it.
Old May 26th 2010, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

lawyer8 is an unknown quantity at this point

dannyg1001 I thought BUNAC states that you must return to UK after the year is over. How did you manage to stay for 6 years. Are you able to apply for PR when you are in Canda on Bunac programme?
Old May 26th 2010, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawyer8
dannyg1001 I thought BUNAC states that you must return to UK after the year is over. How did you manage to stay for 6 years. Are you able to apply for PR when you are in Canda on Bunac programme?
Probably used it as a way to impress a Canadian employer, who then assisted him with obtaining a TWP and/or PR.

Quite a few on this site have done this.
Old May 26th 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

lawyer8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost Canadian ta for reply. I read the Bunac site and it was very clear that you must return to UK at the end of the year. Maybe he did impress an employer or got a TWP as you said.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Cheeky bump for dannyg1001 to reply!