Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Suggest Airlines

Suggest Airlines

Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

dr_naz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggest Airlines

We got our COPR and are planning to go next month.
Whats the best airline in budget ?
I know Air Canada is good but wanted to save some money.
I came across Air Transit...don't know how good it is.....I got a back problem also had a surgery last year due to which I need proper seat.Air Transit is an airbus and flies direct from UK to Toronto.Can anybody suggest something plz
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Re: Suggest Airlines

Hi,

I've travelled on both, and found both to be good for what they are.

For AirTransat, you basically get what you pay for - it's quite low frills on food and inflight entertainment (Mrs Doubtfire on one tv screen for a whole cabin), and the plane we flew on from Gatwick to Toronto was quite dated and cramped. You do have the option to pick a premium seat, if available, which boosts more legroom. On our flight back, we had the Airbus a330, which was larger and newer, and again i paid for the updated seats - this time in front of the bulkhead - and we had a really good flight in terms of food and in-flight entertainment.

Air Canada i flew in January on a trip to Toronto, and i paid for the premium seat in economy on an Airbus a330, but when i checked in, they had cancelled the plane due to technical difficulties and had a smaller Boeing 767. I also lost my seat with legroom and was given a random seat. However, at the gate, they did give me a better seat with legroom in front of the bulkhead. The food was good, and the inflight entertainment was good too (all recent cinema releases).

I would probably fly with Air Canada again, though i always fly with BA. I possibly wouldn't choose AirTransat, but maybe because i'm a snob .

I hope this helps your choice.

MS.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
Hi,

I've travelled on both, and found both to be good for what they are.

For AirTransat, you basically get what you pay for - it's quite low frills on food and inflight entertainment (Mrs Doubtfire on one tv screen for a whole cabin), and the plane we flew on from Gatwick to Toronto was quite dated and cramped. You do have the option to pick a premium seat, if available, which boosts more legroom. On our flight back, we had the Airbus a330, which was larger and newer, and again i paid for the updated seats - this time in front of the bulkhead - and we had a really good flight in terms of food and in-flight entertainment.

Air Canada i flew in January on a trip to Toronto, and i paid for the premium seat in economy on an Airbus a330, but when i checked in, they had cancelled the plane due to technical difficulties and had a smaller Boeing 767. I also lost my seat with legroom and was given a random seat. However, at the gate, they did give me a better seat with legroom in front of the bulkhead. The food was good, and the inflight entertainment was good too (all recent cinema releases).

I would probably fly with Air Canada again, though i always fly with BA. I possibly wouldn't choose AirTransat, but maybe because i'm a snob .

I hope this helps your choice.

MS.
THats really helpful ...cheers
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

apt2208 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add, I'm looking at flights too as I just got my COPR and it seems a return ticket is much cheaper than single, you can just cancel the return ticket when you get to Canada...so something else to bear in mind.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by apt2208
Just to add, I'm looking at flights too as I just got my COPR and it seems a return ticket is much cheaper than single, you can just cancel the return ticket when you get to Canada...so something else to bear in mind.
Yes We thought the same but one of our friends told us that it doesn't work like refunding cant be possible ....I shall check that again....I just got good quotes from cheap tickets for Air Canada and that is only if we fly before 20 May
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dr_naz
Yes We thought the same but one of our friends told us that it doesn't work like refunding cant be possible ....I shall check that again....I just got good quotes from cheap tickets for Air Canada and that is only if we fly before 20 May
Yes they won't refund the return leg of the journey but still cheaper than a single ticket.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:21 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to everything that's been said here. For direct flights, you have the choice of 3 airlines: Air Canada, British Airways, and Air Transat.

Air Canada and BA will be a slightly more "serviced" flight, I suppose you could say - they are "nicer" airlines so you get a bit more. Air Transat is a bit more no frills, but you notice it more in the service as opposed to the actual flight/airplane.

I've flown both quite a few times - so the differences are more things like with Air Canada or BA, you'd get a glass of wine or a spirit or whatever for free with your flight, whereas on Air Transat you'd pay for it, you'd only get non-alcoholic for free. It's more that kind of thing.

And yes, if you book a return flight, you fly the first leg then cancel the second leg. You won't get your money back, but it might be cheaper. However, for one-way flights, Air Transat is usually the cheapest.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
+1 to everything that's been said here. For direct flights, you have the choice of 3 airlines: Air Canada, British Airways, and Air Transat.

Air Canada and BA will be a slightly more "serviced" flight, I suppose you could say - they are "nicer" airlines so you get a bit more. Air Transat is a bit more no frills, but you notice it more in the service as opposed to the actual flight/airplane.

I've flown both quite a few times - so the differences are more things like with Air Canada or BA, you'd get a glass of wine or a spirit or whatever for free with your flight, whereas on Air Transat you'd pay for it, you'd only get non-alcoholic for free. It's more that kind of thing.

And yes, if you book a return flight, you fly the first leg then cancel the second leg. You won't get your money back, but it might be cheaper. However, for one-way flights, Air Transat is usually the cheapest.
I also noticed wth BA you get an extra bag in your free baggage allowance on a one-way ticket but the cost of single ticket doesn't make up for this. I'll need to fly from Heathrow so will stick to Air Canada or BA, most likely Air Canada as that's who I usually fly with when I got to Canada. Now need to find the cheapest way to ship a few boxes to Calgary...
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:44 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I also noticed wth BA you get an extra bag in your free baggage allowance on a one-way ticket but the cost of single ticket doesn't make up for this. I'll need to fly from Heathrow so will stick to Air Canada or BA, most likely Air Canada as that's who I usually fly with when I got to Canada. Now need to find the cheapest way to ship a few boxes to Calgary...
If you can take the train to Gatwick, Air Transat might not be a bad idea. When I moved to the UK in 2008 I shipped a large suitcase with Air Transat Cargo because it was cheaper. Bit of a faff as I had to go out to Gatwick two days after I landed to collect the bag, but it was cheaper than taking it as an extra bag.

You can always try calling the airlines and explaining what you need, sometimes if you're flying a bunch of extra they may cut you a deal. I had a bike to ship back to Canada; Air Canada wanted something like $100 for the bike box, BA wanted £50 or whatever their "extra bag" fee is, PLUS an additional £25 for "special handling"... Air Transat wanted a flat £20.

So for me, Air Transat having the cheapest one-way ticket plus them being the only airline that wasn't charging stupid money for shipping a bike... they were a no-brainer. (And they've recently redone theinterior of some of their aircrafts, so I had a great in-flight entertainment system!)
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

If you can take the train to Gatwick, Air Transat might not be a bad idea. When I moved to the UK in 2008 I shipped a large suitcase with Air Transat Cargo because it was cheaper. Bit of a faff as I had to go out to Gatwick two days after I landed to collect the bag, but it was cheaper than taking it as an extra bag.

You can always try calling the airlines and explaining what you need, sometimes if you're flying a bunch of extra they may cut you a deal. I had a bike to ship back to Canada; Air Canada wanted something like $100 for the bike box, BA wanted £50 or whatever their "extra bag" fee is, PLUS an additional £25 for "special handling"... Air Transat wanted a flat £20.

So for me, Air Transat having the cheapest one-way ticket plus them being the only airline that wasn't charging stupid money for shipping a bike... they were a no-brainer. (And they've recently redone theinterior of some of their aircrafts, so I had a great in-flight entertainment system!)
Thank you - I'll have to look into that.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:09 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I also noticed wth BA you get an extra bag in your free baggage allowance on a one-way ticket but the cost of single ticket doesn't make up for this.
Really..? BA told me if I wanted to take my snowboarding bag over, it would have to be included in my 23kg of luggage or I would have to pay for another bag

Air transat let me take it on for free on top of my baggage allowance
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Really..? BA told me if I wanted to take my snowboarding bag over, it would have to be included in my 23kg of luggage or I would have to pay for another bag

Air transat let me take it on for free on top of my baggage allowance
BA would have given you trouble because it's sporting equipment. If you had a normal checked bag then it would have been a different story - again also depends if you booked a one-way ticket or not.

Transat seems to be the most flexible when it comes to taking sporting equipment with you, but more stickler when it comes to "normal" baggage allowance. When my husband did his one-way, the woman in front of him was 3kg over her baggage allowance and was being charged £47 for it. My husband plopped his 20kg bike box at the desk, paid his £20 handling charge, and went on his way.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:22 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I usually go AirTransat but it's rarely a pleasant experience. Not the staff or anything...they're fine. It's just the seats are way too small. I'd rather suck it up for 6 or 7 hours than pay the extra though lol.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:28 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

BA would have given you trouble because it's sporting equipment. If you had a normal checked bag then it would have been a different story - again also depends if you booked a one-way ticket or not.
I've not booked it yet, but it will be one-way - this was one of the factors in deciding who to go but to be honest, air transat are still coming out cheaper then anywhere else at the moment.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
I usually go AirTransat but it's rarely a pleasant experience. Not the staff or anything...they're fine. It's just the seats are way too small. I'd rather suck it up for 6 or 7 hours than pay the extra though lol.
Thats what its all about isn't it to most people the costs
I am amazed at what people will do to save a few bucks and the routing they take to get from one place to another and I have done it myself. Im at that age now where its either a direct flight or least changes and to hell with the cost. The extra expense is worth the hassle of missed connections, changing planes and terminals and all of the customs and security procedures.
Each to their own I guess but when Im dealing with tired cranky passengers who have been on the go for 24 hours plus then don't take it out on me I didn't ****ing book your flight did I.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.